PDA

View Full Version : How/Where do I start in getting into Linework?

LostArt
01-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Since no one has started one, I will. So guys, list your suggestions in this thread for the guy/gal wanting to go into linework.

EDIT: This is an old thread, but there are some great suggestions and advice on how to get started. I'm making it a sticky for all new apprentices or anyone that is interested in this trade can read.

CenterPointEX
01-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Ummm get with Gracie at www.downrightart.com ... I think she by now is an expert at this subject...

Mike-E
01-22-2006, 12:21 PM
A good way to get in is through the IBEW. You can go to your local union hall and try to apply for they apprentice program, or if they aren't accepting apprentices at that time you can sign the books at the local hall as a groundman. This isn't a bad thing either because when you are an apprentice you are pretty much just a groundman that is allowed to climb a pole or ride in a bucket once in a blue moon. Also, if you put in your time as a groundman and then apply for the apprentice program then you will be given extra consideration and probably credit towards a promotion.

riverhog14
01-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Im not a lineman but have done alot of research getting into this trade. The quickest way is with a contractor. See some contractors workin, pull up, ask them if there hirin' grunts. I talked with some contractors yesterday just about the trade and how Im planning on getting involved. First off is obviously graduate from high school with good grades. Then attend a community college for two years working on my Assosiates, and taking classes in electrical distribution of electrical theory. In the last month or so of college, Im going to go get my CDL learners permit, and then after done with college apply with Progress Energy as an apprentice lineman if there is an opening, or as a plant laborer at a plant nearby to my home. Progress offers job openings to the inside first, and give you 2 weeks to take the job. The employee who has been working the longest has seniority and gets the job. So after a few months of working in the plant, maybe there will be an opening for a lineman apprentice. Then go through there 6 year apprenticeship program, and and Im a lineman! This is how I want to get in, other ways include of coure the IBEW. With them you go to your local hall ( http://www.njatc.org/ ) and just ask to talk with someone about getting in the trade. How that works is you sign onto their books, and when there is an opening you get the phone call to go to work! They reposition you wherever apprentices are needed so youll have to do some traveling in those 4 years. There are 7 steps. They'll send you to some kind of a training school after a year I believe (at least where Im from). This is probably the best all around training you can get, rather than a utilities apprenticeship where they train you on there system only. Thats all I have to say for now!

harley
01-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Linemen climb to the top of their class
By ALISON BOGGS
The Associated Press

SPOKANE, Wash. — No matter how strong their desire, some students don’t realize they’re not cut out to be linemen until they’re standing on two metal spikes high up on a utility pole.

This semester at Avista Utilities’ Jack Stewart Lineman School, four students dropped out of the course too far along for any of the 14 people on the waiting list to get in.
That’s too bad, because the industry needs them.

A nationwide shortage of linemen has been building for years, and the situation’s no different in the Inland Northwest. As legions of aging utility workers edge closer to retirement, the construction industry continues to boom, boosting demand for power line installation. Making matters worse, a number of utilities discontinued apprentice programs in years of corporate downsizing, meaning fewer workers are proceeding through the ranks.

"There will continue to be a shortage until we can get people pumped through," said Don Guillot, business manager for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local Union 77, which represents linemen in Washington and the Idaho Panhandle. "We do have a problem, but we are trying to address it."

Partially behind the backlog is the amount of time lineman training takes. Students who complete a four-month course like Jack Stewart and go to work for a utility are just beginning. They must work another four years to attain journeyman status and years more to gain the institutional knowledge currently flowing out of utilities with the retirement exodus.

Mike Hanson, training administrator for Avista’s linemen, said the company has been aware of the pending problem for years.

The company has an active apprentice program and the Jack Stewart Lineman School was created in 1993 to address the pending shortage. Inland Power and Light, which recently has been hiring several linemen per year, will begin reaching out to local high school students this spring, hoping to attract more people to the trade, said Marketing Manager Dan Villalobos. Guillot said the IBEW is increasing recruitment of apprentices at high schools and job fairs and is trying to encourage utilities to expand apprentice programs.

Being a lineman is lucrative for those with the fortitude to scale a pole 55 feet high and handle power lines. Graduates fresh out of the training programs are labeled ground men and usually stand to earn $11 an hour in this region. However, within a couple of years, if all goes well, workers earn apprentice ranking and watch their pay rise to $20 an hour. After a couple more years, they can achieve journeyman status and get another $10-an-hour boost.

That’s more than $62,000 a year, not including overtime.

Jeremy Lundberg, 33, landed a spot in the current class at Jack Stewart, drawn by the promise of future earnings. At his former job at a paper mill, he said, he would have topped out at $30 an hour after many years of work. The Spokane man sees the promise of that wage within four years as a lineman, and more after that.

"It would have taken me a long time to see top dollar," Lundberg said of his last job.
His brother-in-law is a lineman for Inland Power, and Lundberg thought it sounded like good work. The married man with two young children said he’s prepared to go anywhere for a job.

Lundberg’s willingness to move virtually guarantees him a job. Job placement from Jack Stewart is 80 percent but rises to 100 percent if graduates are willing to relocate, Hanson said. California, Utah, Colorado, Montana and southern Idaho will collectively need close to 400 linemen a year for the next five years due to construction alone, he said. And some of the other states offer much higher wages, though they’re frequently accompanied by a higher cost of living.

"Some places are offering six months of wages as a signing bonus," Hanson said.
Upfront costs for lineman training are fairly steep. Jack Stewart holds two four-month sessions each year that cost $5,700 for in-state students and $6,500 for out-of-state. Linemen also are required to buy their own gear, which runs another $850 or so.
But the jobs appear to be constantly in demand. Though linemen say winter is the slow season, the February issue of the Northwest Public Power Association’s trade magazine, Bulletin, has nine lineman job openings, mostly in Washington. Avista hired nine of the students from the last Jack Stewart session, but students are not guaranteed local positions.

Paying to attend a training program shows potential employers how serious a student is, Villalobos said. An Avista spokeswoman said it’s fairly rare for the company to hire someone who hasn’t attended a training program.

After hiring program graduates, utilities continue to spend thousands of dollars each year training their linemen until they become journeymen. Hanson said Avista spends $70,000 per year training its apprentices. When the students first go to work for a utility, they initially need to be under someone’s supervision all the time, said lead line instructor Bill Magers. For that reason, the power lines students practice on at the school are not energized.

"You gotta have what it takes before we get to the electricity part of it," he said.
The Jack Stewart school was named for a former Avista lineman known for mentoring his younger colleagues. Students must be 18 to register and though most are men, four women have graduated from the program since it began.

Safety is a top concern and the class size is capped at 26 to keep the student-to-instructor ratio low. The instructors don’t gloss over the potential dangers of the job. On the classroom wall hangs a memorial photograph of a former student who died while stringing power lines for a helicopter company.

The program is intense, meeting eight hours a day, five days a week. Half is spent in the classroom; half outside on the training grounds, climbing poles, tying knots and rigging gear. Two sessions are offered per year: January through April and June through October. There’s more room, generally, in the summer session, instructors said. In four months, the students earn 49 college credits through Spokane Community College, which joined with Avista to create the program.
"When you take 10 to 18 credits, that’s a heavy load," said Linda Poage, who manages SCC’s apprentice division.

The school also trains students for other possible careers, perhaps with cable or phone companies or in other trade positions at power companies, said Magers. He and the other instructor, Dave Valandra, have worked to make the program more compatible with other utility companies’ needs and more applicable to other career fields.

"All the other bargaining unit jobs (at Avista) require what we teach here," said Valandra, who recently retired from 33 years as a lineman for Avista. The course includes instruction on flagging, CPR and forklift operations, among other skills.
But for some, it doesn’t seem like work at all.

Jake Booth is 20, from Davenport, Wash., and is so excited to be in the program, he says over and over how "awesome" it is. An adrenaline junkie who rides motorcycles and snowmobiles, Booth said he’s wanted to be a lineman since he was little. He went to college for two years, but hated it. He likes the lineman school because it’s more hands-on.

"The first day you’re out climbing," Booth said. "They put you right out there and let you start doing it."

Valandra, however, cautions the students against thinking the work is all about being outside and working with their hands.

"It’s not just climbing poles," said Valandra, 57. "That’s not what we do for a living. We work electricity. Climbing the poles is one way to get to the work."

harley
01-24-2006, 03:01 PM
The process will depend on if you are going to be a powerline contractor or work for a publicly owned municipality or co-op. I work for a municipality. I hired in with the assignment of clearing the right of way for a small town Power System. after a year I was offered the opportunity to enter the apprenticeship. I was considered a groundman for the first 6 months. My responsibilities as a groundman included stocking the truck with materials that were used each day, load the truck for the days work, and watch and learn from the linemen I was working with. I would prepare materials on the ground for the linemen to use on the pole. The prime objective of a groundman is to learn what the lineman is going to need and have it ready to hang before he needs it. You also have to learn what all the materials are called and where they go on the truck, as you are responsible for them all being replaced at the end of the day

The six month groundman period is followed by the 1st step apprentice. This is where you usually attend a climbing school to learn to climb utility poles, or find out if you can learn to climb. The 1st step apprentice is allowed to climb utility poles where there are no energized powerlines. As a 1st step apprentice you are expected to do a considerable amount of the groundman work as well. You will still be learning material names and what the materials are used for in this step. From this point on each step should last one year depending on your abilities and motivation. You will have to have approval from your immediate supervisor as well as your general foreman to move on to each new level. The 2nd step linemans apprentice is allowed to climb utility poles with low voltage on the pole, but is not allowed to handle any voltage at this point. This step consists of running electical services to new houses or hanging security lights, only working on wires that are dead, or have no electricity passing through them. The 3rd step linemans apprentice consists of more responsibility, as you are allowed to work secondary voltage from the pole. This means you can handle wires with low voltage running through them, with the use of rubber gloves. This step also lets you start learning about power transformer connections and building power transformer banks (tying 2 or more transformers together). The 4th step linemans apprentice is the step where most apprentices get to ease off the climbing and start working out of a bucket truck. This step also brings considerably more responsibility, as you will start handling high voltage wires with the use of rubber gloves. This brings greater risk of injury or death to you as well as others working near you. You will learn here how to set up the bucket truck to help you do your job efficiently and make it easier on you. In essence, after you accomplish these steps you have completed a 4 year degree to be a journeyman lineman. You will learn new things as long as you work in the power industry. You will never know everything about linework, but with hard work and motivation you will have become someone who can be very proud of their accomplishments. You will also have a career that not just everyone can do. Find out more information about being an Electrical Lineman and locate a Lineman School on UtilityInnovations.com
Copied this from line-man.com (another good lineman site)

NJ glove
01-25-2006, 06:15 PM
first off what state r u from? The process is different depending on the utility. Forget contractors they are not safe at all. u want to learn the right way. Besides I'm union and I'm not to happy when I see contractors. won't work with them at all. I'm from New Jersey and u can apply for an apprenticeship over the companies web site. They are alway hiring at least a couple of times a year. www.pseg.com

woody
01-25-2006, 07:52 PM
IBEW.COM...best advice...OUTSIDE LINEMAN...go to link NJATC.COM...gives you the leads that a MOTIVATED person needs. Don't ask any questions until you've done these two simple things. Seems like lately some people want others to provide answers that the previous party isn't or un-willing to do for themselves! Wanna-bees...MOTIVATE YOURSELEVES...whatever you choose to do in your life! Want it?...Do what it takes to achieve it!woody P.S. don't come here selling you're silly ass b.s. about not wanting to travel...or I'm not known where I'm at...aka not related b.s. ...cut the cord...until you do something that's what you are! YOUR NOTHING IN OUR EYES UNTIL YOU SHOW US OTHERWISE! Nothing...wannabee...apps...shit...Hope I helped some the right path.

Lizzy Borden
01-25-2006, 08:18 PM
We have a college guy right now. Going to the lineschool through college route.

School is off for now. He is working in the lineshop toward his course on the job training part.

They had him cleaning lockers....some had not been emptied for 13 years.

Then I saw him a few days later watching a portable DVD player he brought to work. They had nothing for him to do.

He wants to work................what is wrong with this system. Wonder what he is going to tell his instructor.

He has gone out with the digger truck.

ColdFusion
01-29-2006, 06:09 PM
i'm a second generation line man and have been in the trade for 16 years we do work in northern alberta canada..where it reaches -40..ever been up a pole at -40...brrrrrr..anyway about the contractors not being safe ..safty is important to everyone not just the bigger companies...when some one gets hurt our rates go up and the smaller companies cant afford the high rates so saftey is a huge concern, so i dont know where this guy gets off saying that contractors are unsafe ..its the easiest way to get into the trade...we have just recently apprenticed 4 guys, 2 first year apprentices and we just had 2 graduate there 4th year and now are classed as journey men ..so i think some needs to refrain from saying stuff that they know nothing about...

LostArt
01-29-2006, 09:12 PM
..safty is important to everyone not just the bigger companies...when some one gets hurt our rates go up and the smaller companies cant afford the high rates so saftey is a huge concern, so i dont know where this guy gets off saying that contractors are unsafe ..its the easiest way to get into the trade......

Welcome CF! Safety is important .......even to those ole nasty dag gum rat contractors. Horrible creatures that they are! Hang tough. We got a few uppity folks(Lineman snobs) here, but ain't that like on any type of line job? Or anywhere you may go?

Looking forward to more posts from you sir!

--LA

ColdFusion
01-30-2006, 04:03 PM
hey now them's fighting words..lol ..we actualy own one of them rat contracting companies but its all good as long as the lights stay on and no one gets hurt doing it

Sharp new hooks
01-30-2006, 07:27 PM
I am currently one of fourteen guys in a lineman program through College (Clarion University) and The First Energy Company. I would have to say if you can do it this is one of the better ways to go. Not only do you gain experience but you will also graduate in two years with usually an associates degree and i think, as a third year apprentice. But geting into one of these progams might be difficult depending where you live. i know ther are several in Ohio, two i think, in Pennsylvania, and atleast one in New Jersy. As for not having work that can depend on where and who you end up woking with.

woody
01-30-2006, 10:17 PM
sharpnewhooks, hey maybe you can fill us in a little more about your training. Are you doing actual on the job training in conjunction with school work? Or are you doing everything in the classroom and also the poleyard? There's a BIG difference...like to hear more. woody

Sharp new hooks
02-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Sorry my reply took so long my computers been in the shop.

Class runs from 7:00 to 3:30 on Monday and Tuesday and 7:00 to 11:00 on Wednesday. It's supposed to be half and half, you do the reading and see how it’s supposed to be done then we go out and do it. We actually spend more time out there though, since we are the first class through Clarion we are actually building everything, we set the poles (everyone had to dig at least one hole by hand), hung the transformers, ran the wire for the hot lines, and right now we are putting in the UG, this week we were putting in pad mounts so we can eventually energize them to test for faults. We were also practicing how to change transformer fuses, and how to make a pistol grip. As for our professors they are all retired linemen who are contracted to work as instructors. Every day we are on the poles first thing (7:00 am or light enough to see) and we don't use buckets, all our work is done strait off the pole. This summer we are supposed to be work with crews for ten weeks to get a feel for what it's like. After we graduate next year we can apply for a full time job or try to get employed somewhere else. We have been pushing to try and get some easy work from the company that we could do, but so far First Energy has not liked the idea so we just work in the yards for now.

stumpdogg
02-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Try calling sailcatsin atlanta ga, take the test and go to work

northwnative
02-05-2006, 02:39 AM
Hey All. New to this forum, but I'd wondered if anyone here has applied for, or is an apprentice for Seattle City Light. I just spent around 6 months in the application process only to find out I didn't get hired even though I thought I had good qualifications. Are there 'in's' that I don't know about? I guess I was lucky to get an interview, which I guess only 43 people got, but I wonder what it takes to get hired on as an apprentice by SCL. Any thoughts?

Orgnizdlbr
02-05-2006, 09:43 AM
I am currently one of fourteen guys in a lineman program through College (Clarion University) and The First Energy Company. I would have to say if you can do it this is one of the better ways to go. Not only do you gain experience but you will also graduate in two years with usually an associates degree and i think, as a third year apprentice. But geting into one of these progams might be difficult depending where you live. i know ther are several in Ohio, two i think, in Pennsylvania, and atleast one in New Jersy. As for not having work that can depend on where and who you end up woking with.

Hey Sharp, welcome to the trade. I work in Jersey for a First Energy subsidiary. They cant keep students in PSI here. I'm not sure if you call it PSI where you are or not. PSI grads come in as 2nd year apps, not 3rd. Cant work anything hot. This is not the way to go IMHO. Go to an IBEW hall with outside jurisdiction and try to get into an apprenticeship. BTW, if you have any choice of who to work for, dont go to FE. Their courting you right now, blowing smoke up your ass, but they are one of the worst Utilities in the country to work for.

Sharp new hooks
02-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah it's PSI up here too. I've heard that FE is pretty crappy and several of us were planning to find permanent employment elsewhere once we graduate.

Koga
02-06-2006, 06:37 AM
of advice. If the old retired linemen havent mentioned it yet. Dont go to work with a bunch of journymen and try to impress them with what you think you know. or try to tell them how to do something.You will be shot down in flames :D And it will take a long while to get past this mistake. Seen it happen a time or two.

Koga

Sharp new hooks
02-11-2006, 10:18 AM
yeah we've been told that, i'd imagine it'd piss them off a lot and i wouldn't blame them for tearing us appart.
thanks for the advice though.

woody
02-12-2006, 02:46 AM
Hey just getting back to your answer to my question. NO ON THE JOB TRAINING means your in a classroom enviroment at all times(even in the poleyard). Big difference...that's why at certain places your nothing more than a 2nd step app. Nothing against you, but their are better ways to get to where you want to be. IBEW.COM...JATC/NECA...OUTSIDE LINEMAN...TRAINING. woody

kulineman
02-12-2006, 09:48 AM
im 26 years old been in linework since i was 19 went 3 years college run my own garage,the way if got in and every other lineman i know got in was to know people and ask ask ask questions. i live and work in southeast kentucky and the only way to get on at any utility in kentucky ive found is get on at acontracter as bad as that sucks thats the game you have to play to get on. i went in at 19 in lexington fot davis h elliot line construction worked 6 years for them and from day one trying to get on at kentucky utilities. but is was the only way due to down sizing when someone retires theres a opening for a lineman only AT ELLIOT you work away from home go on all the storm trouble iv wrked from oki to baltimore to florida. worked 2400 to 34.5 on the board and off the wood when it was allowed hot sticked 69 to 161. im primarily a mountain lineman where you learn and come up with ideas that no books or classrooms will ever show you ,only the situation and the old timer can show you when you work in the mountains you make every move count every tool has 5 or more uses. im very lucky to have the old timers to teach me what they know if not i wouldent have made it just some of there tricks have saved my life more then once. i went through their traing and got my journyman card and their safety is top notch. it took me 6 years to get on and taking the entrance test 2 times to get here now im ibew and when i need a tool i get it with elliot they wouldent hardly get materialhandler buckets for abvios reosons but now i get the one i want. its nice now but you have to take journey to get to the gold.if you want learn the right way the old school way ask around look at contracter crews working if theres a old forman and a old lineman working thats where you want to go thats where youell learn the most and come up the quickest just be ready to take some shit and be yealed at thats part of it. its for your own good. if you go the other rout youel make lineman but you wont know what it was like to be a lineman. all the training and all the new constrution will never phase out when you will need to something that only old school skills can get done. if you guys want a job with davis h elliot and can half ass climb or drive a truck let me know and talk to some people for you their office is in lexington ky.

Mike-E
02-12-2006, 08:56 PM
I understand that there are alot of old school linemen out there still. I've worked with a few, and they are smart, hard working, kick your ass if you mess up guys. But, I've worked with more guys from the "new school" and I think I can see the difference. Let me first compare old school and new school in the case of another trade that is very important and many people rely on, doctors. If I had my choice of learning from, working with, or even being treated by an old school or new school doc, I know I would choose new school. Better training through the IBEW and the National Joint Apprentice Training Committee and more diversity through those training programs. I am not saying I'm better than anyone, but if you ask most working linemen they'll tell you that there are less acidents nowadays, more work getting done right the first time faster. Yeah, I didn't get to start as a grunt but I'm an apprentice and I pay dues just like evreyone else and I do my job the best I can. I hope one thing that remains from the transition of old to new school is the work ethic, because I work damn hard and I am pretty sure every lineman works hard, wether they are union or not. "The times they are a changing."

Koga
02-14-2006, 06:45 AM
Mike, Ive read your post several times and I understand your line of thought on learning new methods and the latest that technology has to offer.But thats what being a lineman is about , always learning and comming up with new ways to skin the cat ! Going with your analogy on Drs' I have had some problems lately with my ankles. I went to 2 young orthopedic docs.The first ones office has about 20 people working for him and they herd patients through like cattle at a stock yard.We went to xray first and then to another holding pen then to a room and told the doctor will be in shortly. 30 minutes later in walks a good lookin young girl maybe in her early 30s and doesnt even introduce herself or say three words to me. She walks in and looks, at all the xrays and mounds of paper work I filled out, not me, then told me there is nothing wrong. All I need is to go to therapy and she will be glad to set it up for me. Total time spent with me 60 seconds. I asked if she was Dr. Johnston and she said no, she was a assistent/practicioner.So I asked to see the real Dr. "hes on vacation". After 6 attemps at trying to see a real Dr, I get in and the real Doc does the same thing! Looks at all the stuff in the folder and says "therapy and we can set it up for you". I called my ENT doc and asked for a referal. He sent me to an much older guy. He ( a real doctor) walks in first and spent the first 5 minutes just asking questions and listening to what I told him. Then he actually looked at my ankle and put it through some motion and then explained what was wrong and what it would take to correct it.I told him about the other wanting me to do therapy and he laughed and told me therapy doesnt fix torn ligements. After it was repaired I then went to therapy to help speed the recovery time. Now I ask you which one of these two would you go to ? Ill take the old school doc anyday. He keeps on top of all the latest methods and technology (he sent me for an MRI to confirm his diagnosis). But he knows and does things they dont teach in schools these days. Same with me, I get to install set up and use all the latest computer controlled reclosures and sectionalizers and relays. I'm always learning from others who have found better ways and methods.But I have and still can change out cross arms and bells on 69 kv transmission hot sticking off the pole. I have and can tell you what to expect it and what it feels like to work 500kv hot and the things you need to do to work it safely . I know things degreed electrical engineers dont. The old school trainning I recieved by old lineman who have been doin it since WW2 is locked up in my head and I will gladly pass it on to any young buck with the right attitude and wanting to learn the best trade in the world. Its all about the RESPECT I'll show the old linemen. I expect the same from the younger bucks comming up. Some have it and some dont .Some make it to Journeyman and others are sellin shoes in the mall !Take some from both schools, you have to to keep up. But never...........never.............. dis old school ! :cool:

Koga

Thunderchild
02-16-2006, 12:30 AM
keep this in mind..

linework aint for everybody.
the marines aint the only ones that are few and proud!

it may look cool..being up in the bucket on a nice summer day, wind in yer hair, getting a farmers tan and ya got plenty of good ground help.

but it aint like that all the time.

most people never see the time your out a three in the morning...its 15 degrees and raining or sleeting, your up a pole on hooks with a flashlight with dead batteries youre wet and freezing cold and ya got the new guy that dont know crap for ground help.
you worked all day and got called out just as you were going to bed.

or a tree falls in that one spot they never got to trim. its out in a swamp where every mosquito and his cousin lives and you have to carry all the equipment in through the mud on foot. you get there, climb 45 feet and sag three phases of 4/0 primary and a 1/0 neutral. no breez there aint a leaf moving for miles, there aint a piece of a cloud in the sky to hide the sun, its 95 degrees with 100% humidity. youre soaked to your fruit of the looms with sweat. you didnt get to eat lunch and you got the new guy that dont know crap for ground help.

there are many other scenarios to talk about.

so think long and hard before you decide to do linework. it aint all fun.
i been doin it for 27 years...i love it and wouldnt trade jobs with anybody.

linemen are a breed to themselves...we're proud of what we do and not everybody can do it. i guess maybe its cause....we're a breed to ourselves.

stumpdogg
02-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Koga, I hear ya man. I've been a klumbsum since 78, and all the good habits i got from the old dogs. I learned hot work from my hooks when buckets were somthing to wish for. I am strickly transmission trash, very little distribution, I ain't complaining mind ya, just the roll of the dice. I used to love to do 69 to 161 hot stick but i don't have the stamina I used to.

LostArt
02-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Take some from both schools, you have to to keep up. But never...........never.............. dis old school ! :cool:

Koga

What a wonderful post Koga. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I love the example you used! Right on target buddy!

I love hearing from our youth. Youth will give you new ideas with the spirit and energy! I really love the energy. I'm in the business of YOUTH!

But, I don't know how many times the boss has said that it takes experience to actually know the difference between youth and experience. I've heard him compare what use to be and what is now. It's great to have both knowlege/experience. The boss loves working with new apprientices. Every new one has a difference personality, and a different way to approach them or if they can take whatever the boss decides to throw there way! LOL!

But, it boils down to this, if you can respect the old lineman's knowledge and experience, most likely he will hear your suggestions. If you don't, you might as well hang the hooks up. For if you don't have an openmind to where your line roots came from, most likely you will not grow in your boots/hooks.

Koga
02-18-2006, 12:15 PM
been told, here in Baton Rouge we get the best trainning anywhere .And once you top out at 1st class you can go anywhere and work with the best.I've talked to several guys that left and went to work on the east coast and up in Mich. and they confirm that.The fact that they came back after being gone a few years speaks for its self. Now this was the old Gulf States Utilities trainning before Entergy took over. We did everything from 500 kv transmission to underground distribution services and plugging meters. Alot changed right after Entergy took over. It was the pits. Layoffs and people running scared.Moral went to hell and every supervisor they brought in was a hatchett man. It seems though as if we're comming full circle and back to the old GSU ways now.One constant remained through out the whole ordeal. That was the old guys that where left refused to change our approach to doing the job the way we knew was the safest and to look after each other.We have spent more time with each other on top of poles in hooks and in the bucket doin hot work than we have with our families.Ya we have our gripes and bitchen and call each other no good sobs at times. :D But theres not one of em I couldnt call for help with ANYTHING ANYTIME and get it. If they tell me something about the job when I get on site. I know its that way.Its the bond we have to trust each other. As Ive said before all my supervisors now are guys that came up with, the old GSU way, and if I tell them something ,they know Im not trying to run a line of BS on em. My job now is to pass that on to the young ones. Every once in a while ya get a new guy that has a natural apptitude for the work and catchess on quickly. He comes up with some good ideas to add to or a new way to do something.I try to listen to everyone in the tailboards . That way we both know they understand whats goin on and what is expected of them. And we get that trust and bond with each other that you have to have in this work. Just the way I was taught and see it .My humble opinion .Old School ! :cool:

Koga

LostArt
02-18-2006, 01:22 PM
To feel the confidenece that comes with experience, that's why we're a crew.........to take the knowlege from others, and remember it.......
he doesn't realize how well he was trained.......

.... My job now is to pass that on to the young ones. Every once in a while ya get a new guy that has a natural apptitude for the work and catchess on quickly. He comes up with some good ideas to add to or a new way to do something.I try to listen to everyone in the tailboards . That way we both know they understand whats goin on and what is expected of them. And we get that trust and bond with each other that you have to have in this work. Just the way I was taught and see it .My humble opinion .Old School ! :cool:

Koga

Thanks guys for your contribution to this thread. Hopefully, some will take this advice to the line.

QuantumPositron
02-18-2006, 02:48 PM
I think that when a youth or inexperienced person tries to help by suggesting ideas, wrong or right, for troubleshooting shows initiative for getting the job done. Like it or not, the linemen job is implicably a continuously learning profession and to succeed, in my opinion, means to continuously learn.

But I'm just a first year apprentice haha. :D

Cheers all

QP

Special ED
02-22-2006, 08:49 AM
I started out in 2001 at ____ Electric Contractors as a rock hole digger. Showed some initiative and got moved to a line crew. Over the years I got moved around and worked on new construction, then a service crew, then a trouble crew. I gained alot of on the job experience in all aspects of the trade and made A class lineman in 3 and half years.

The biggest thing for me was the experience. Working all over the country gloving voltages from 120 all the way to 19,900KVa. The only thing that sucks is I don't have a journeymens card. But I'm about to see about testing for it.

Working for a power company you will learn what they want you to learn and thats it unless they go on alot of storms. Contractors get to see and do it all and in my opinion make more rounded line workers.

Before I left the company I was at they hired a kid from Northwest Linemans college and he didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. I think he wasted his money and was only hired in as a first year ape.

dbrown20
02-26-2006, 01:45 PM
I agree. I had a total of 2 years experience when I got a journeyman's ticket. My last 14 months of experience was with a rat contractor and you could do whatever you thought you were big enough to do. I found I knew more about distribution work than folks who had been through a 4 year apprentice. Maybe not the best way to do it, but it worked. Not enough entensity working with an IOU, I don't think. dbrown20

snoman
03-23-2006, 08:51 PM
anyone out there willing to share a good resume with a brother ? I have 23 years in the industry and want to compare notes. If anyone has a resume that has worked for them, I would appreciate the tips.

42linehand
03-24-2006, 11:51 AM
If any one is interested in getting into Linework I feel that the best way to learn is going through the NJATC. Here you will get the best training. I feel that Union jobs give you the best opportunities for training and job diversity. Safety is also an important factor for that newbie which is a great concern of IBEW. Any one in the New England area can go to www.neat1968.org and apply. I believe that there is a 25.00 application fee but that is nominal to the amount of money and the benefits that you will recieve when you start. Any one that has any questions about the N.E.A.T apprenticeship feel free to ask any questions. Relocation is always possible to.

dirtdobber
03-24-2006, 04:46 PM
been at it now for 11 years with contractors 2 to be honest. feel i have gained exp now looking to retire with a power co. started at the bottom worked my way to supervisor seen some good guys come and go.but I am still at it after so long at it you find yourself at ease around all the union guys that are in the power co. yard they get used to seeing the same face & before you know it they start treating you like one of there own dont know if its because you can talk shop with them or they here from there supervisors the tipe person you are. :D

ArkyLLM
04-14-2006, 05:10 PM
There are many lineman schools accross the country.They are in the form of a vocational tech college, or community colleges.Dont know where you from.I started in the buisness by going to a votech in kansas, which is pretty much the only way to get a start, in that part of the country.It is a 13 month school, that concentrates soley on line work, no bs classes. You learn how to climb, build every structure from IO,s coops, and munis.You learn xformer banking, reclosures,regulators, etc etc.Most importantly you learn how to be a good grunt. Which makes you a good lineman.The schools usually have summer internships, also known has summer helpers.Which utilities from all over request, this is usually how the utilities find there new appretices. Some of the states which heavly recruit from the schools are, Kansas,Ok, Missouri.Neb,Iowa. Great place to get your foot in the door. Keep this in mind Most of us dont start out in our dream job. we all know that it is most important to get your foot in the door, then get that journeyman status. Then begin your search for the dream job. It took me 13 yrs, but i have mine. hope this helps. Good luck.

omg1
04-26-2006, 10:54 AM
come to texas and work, my comp has its own training program and yes we go on a lot of storms

Lubbock
05-01-2006, 08:06 PM
If any one is interested in getting into Linework I feel that the best way to learn is going through the NJATC. Here you will get the best training. I feel that Union jobs give you the best opportunities for training and job diversity. Safety is also an important factor for that newbie which is a great concern of IBEW. Any one in the New England area can go to www.neat1968.org and apply. I believe that there is a 25.00 application fee but that is nominal to the amount of money and the benefits that you will recieve when you start. Any one that has any questions about the N.E.A.T apprenticeship feel free to ask any questions. Relocation is always possible to.

what about newbs in West Texas? Only thing ive found out here is for inside wiring.

harley
05-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Try LPL (Lubbock power and Light) or Southwest utilities. they both have offices in Lubbock. Sometimes it helps to go the the home office and talk to the Foreman about when they might have an opening.

Lubbock
05-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Try LPL (Lubbock power and Light) or Southwest utilities. they both have offices in Lubbock. Sometimes it helps to go the the home office and talk to the Foreman about when they might have an opening.

thanks for the input. Trying to get on out here in Lubbock or somewhere in the Dallas/FtWorth area.

Do newbies typically start out as groundman or linemen apprentice?

harley
05-08-2006, 02:49 PM
You start out as a grunt (ground hand) work your way up. You will need to get a CDL license at some point. Pike is working in the Dallas area along with Flowers. Shaw is working in the Austin area. Irby is working in the Dallas area also. North Houston pole line is working on the SH130 road construction in central Texas. I lived in Lubbock till 1981, still have family there. I would go by LPL and check with them.

someguy_in_NE
05-18-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm on the waitlist for the program now. I did well on the test, but is there a way I can find out where I'm at on the list?

scammy
05-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Hi guys this is my first post, dayton power and light is highering off the street...go to dpl,inc web site or a local employment agency in dayton ohio for info ,,,,,,good luck scammy

scammy
05-22-2006, 11:27 PM
I work for a local power co. I love our contractors ,they are just like me ,life hands us all a set of cards and you play your hand, the reason it is that contractors have a higher rate of accidents is because they are thrown into a unfamilir power grid, a perfect example is ,here at dp @ L we paralel transformers and no one tells them,,,I do when I can,,,sure dont want no one to get hurt be carfull and have fun ,,,,,,,scammy

42linehand
05-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Anyone that is interested in getting into the apprenticeship and that doesnt know where to get info from should go to WWW.NJATC.COM if you then go on the contact info on the start page you can check out where all of the NJATC are . It gives you phone # and address. Good Luck

LostArt
04-21-2007, 01:09 PM
..............this is an old thread, but sometimes we have new folks coming in asking how to get started in this trade.

kschaper
04-23-2007, 11:51 AM
I am applying this week through the ibew to go to www.albat.org Does anyone know how long the application process is? What criteria are they looking for? Also, do they set you up with an apprenticeship? Thanks

kschaper
04-26-2007, 10:45 AM
I dropped off my request for application yesterday. I also got some clarification as to how this works. Once they received your application, first come first serve, they will then set up an interview. This all depends on how many they get and when they are interviewing. At the interview you are graded by 3 union and 3 contractors. You are scored on how you interview and are put on a list. When someone is hiring apprentices, they go down the list of interviewees and take the highest scored ones first. You are then sent to the ALBAT training and upon completion of their 2-3 week course you go to work. Hope this helps anybody who is wondering.

Ross 86
04-26-2007, 09:28 PM
I dropped off my request for application yesterday. I also got some clarification as to how this works. Once they received your application, first come first serve, they will then set up an interview. This all depends on how many they get and when they are interviewing. At the interview you are graded by 3 union and 3 contractors. You are scored on how you interview and are put on a list. When someone is hiring apprentices, they go down the list of interviewees and take the highest scored ones first. You are then sent to the ALBAT training and upon completion of their 2-3 week course you go to work. Hope this helps anybody who is wondering.

Ive been reading this post and I too am waiting to get into ALBAT. I already received my app. and sent it back and received a letter saying that the sub-committee meets quarterly and I would get an interview sometime within the next 12 months. You said applications are first come first serve, do you mean they only give out so many per year?

kschaper
04-27-2007, 01:37 PM
My understanding was they do only have a few spots each quarter. What area of the country are you in?

Ross 86
05-01-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm from south-eastern IL, I applied through the Local Union out of Indianapolis.

cublooking4job
08-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Anyone looking to get in around the Ohio area should look at First Energy's web site. I know there are a couple of kid's going through PSI this year from out of town. The company is renting there apartment for them while there in the program. It's a 21 month program and you come out with an associates degree and they have a 95% placement rating. www.ohioedison.com

Doggboi
09-20-2007, 09:35 PM
www.scana.com

From what I understand they are opening up 15 apprentice positions in the Charelston Area.

When I applied with them for my current position , there were 12 applicants, 8 showed, 1 quit in the middle of the skills test and only one other had any experiance in Linework.

I have been on the job now for 2 weeks here and really like the culture this company has. Heads and shoulders over my previous position in the mid-west.

CenterPointEX
01-06-2008, 04:03 PM
CenterPoint Energy has announced it is hiring helper and will be starting an apprentice school this year... Once in the program it will take you two and a half years to get your ticket... It's not a bad place to be an apprentice... but once your get your ticket, I wouldn't suggest getting sucked in and making a career of it... Get your ticket and then go find a place to work where they still care about their people... Or pay you good one. CenterPoint will use you up and spit you out... Believe you me... I know! Don't take my word for it... ask any old timer on the dock.

jonnydude66
04-02-2008, 03:48 PM
I approached the NECA and they referred me to Missouri Valley http://www.mvswneca.org/. I sent an application and am currently awaiting an interview. I had to get a CDL Class A Permit and send my transcipts in with the application before I was selected for the interview. I recieved a letter stating that I would be mailed with an interview date and time and that they required no further documentation. Once the interview has occured I will be scored along with the others that were interviewed. Depending on how you score decides when you get a offer into the Apprentice Program. I hope this helps. Good luck!

neil macgregor
07-05-2008, 04:54 PM
send me $1000 in the post will get you a start

neil macgregor
07-05-2008, 04:55 PM
send me $1000 in the post will get you a start

Ameren4lineman
09-16-2008, 08:30 AM
I work for Ameren, an electric company with its headquarters based out of Saint Louis, Missouri. We are hiring for multiple positions within Missouri and the state of Illinois. Check us out on www.ameren.com

Thanks and good luck!

Ryan409
11-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Hello I am new here my name is Ryan, I live in San Diego CA. I am very interested in become a lines man I am 24 and i have no idea how to start in this trade in CA. Please help

electric squirrel
11-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Cal Nev Jatc in Riverside,Ca and hour and a half from you.
Bob Bass director
951 685-3896
E.S.:cool:

Ryan409
11-04-2008, 03:53 AM
thank you that is awsome i will check that out this week. Thanks for the info

mx-5
11-17-2008, 07:26 PM
i know i will take heat for this but ryan 409 don't do it...your still young enough to to get into something else...i have been a lineman 22+ years and although it has provided me a good life style,man things have completely changed....and not for the good...believe me..don't get me wrong i enjoy what i do,but for you new young hires..it's not the same as when i hired on....trust me...when young "kids" ask me about it i tell them to go to college..

mx-5
11-18-2008, 05:22 PM
sbatts,what i'm talking about are things like:company's treating you and your families like dirt i.e lousy schedules,no time with families..benifits such as medical,dental etc getting more and more costly and worse every year or so..retirement?? some company's don't even offer it to new hires...shortages in the work force,meaning being continually forced..just go through this forum and read how these company's nationwide are treating their work force...if someone at a young age is willing to go with that,then by all means be a lineman..like i said before being a lineman is a great job,but to start from scratch nowaday's....i'd think twice..

Phoenix-7
12-10-2008, 07:33 PM
sbatts,what i'm talking about are things like:company's treating you and your families like dirt i.e lousy schedules,no time with families..benifits such as medical,dental etc getting more and more costly and worse every year or so..retirement?? some company's don't even offer it to new hires...shortages in the work force,meaning being continually forced..just go through this forum and read how these company's nationwide are treating their work force...if someone at a young age is willing to go with that,then by all means be a lineman..like i said before being a lineman is a great job,but to start from scratch nowaday's....i'd think twice..

What is a person to do, stay home and collect welfare?
Line trade is a great way to make a living, you are above ground 99% of the time, scenery is great.
The only problem is management are a$$holes 100% of the time. They don't give a shitte about you as long as the work gets done. Their objective is for you to do the job as cheap as possible, it increases their bonus at the end of the year.
I have been doing this trade for 28 years and loving it, you have to watch out for Numero Uno, that being yourself.

Gummby
01-04-2009, 12:23 PM
i'm a second generation line man and have been in the trade for 16 years we do work in northern alberta canada..where it reaches -40..ever been up a pole at -40...brrrrrr..anyway about the contractors not being safe ..safty is important to everyone not just the bigger companies...when some one gets hurt our rates go up and the smaller companies cant afford the high rates so saftey is a huge concern, so i dont know where this guy gets off saying that contractors are unsafe ..its the easiest way to get into the trade...we have just recently apprenticed 4 guys, 2 first year apprentices and we just had 2 graduate there 4th year and now are classed as journey men ..so i think some needs to refrain from saying stuff that they know nothing about...

I am almost a year into this profession and it has been one of the best jumps that i have ever made. I originally was persuing a career in civil engineering and decided that i needed to be in the outdoors. I work in montana and i agree it is rather chilly when you are up a pole in any negatives. I work with a contracting crew and safety is as you said of the utmost importance nothing when working is more imperative than keeping your workers in the green. and i am sorry that some union workers dont enjoy seeing contractors coming, we are just doing the work that they are not able to do.

Orgnizdlbr
01-04-2009, 12:49 PM
I am almost a year into this profession and it has been one of the best jumps that i have ever made. I originally was persuing a career in civil engineering and decided that i needed to be in the outdoors. I work in montana and i agree it is rather chilly when you are up a pole in any negatives. I work with a contracting crew and safety is as you said of the utmost importance nothing when working is more imperative than keeping your workers in the green. and i am sorry that some union workers dont enjoy seeing contractors coming, we are just doing the work that they are not able to do.

Almost a year in the trade, good for you. Ive been in the trade for 36 years and in the union for as long, please explain to me what you can do, that I being Union cannot. I hope I misunderstood the intent of your post......

show mo
01-04-2009, 07:52 PM

Not able to do the job, and not wanting to the job are to different things. We often bid out the jobs the crews dont want to do, underground comes to mind.

mattgiacona
01-05-2009, 05:09 AM
well i went about the linework in a completely different way and feel that for the experience and the knowledge gained that this way may have helped out for me quiet a bit. I graduated high school and wanted to become an architect. plans fell through and i enlisted in the air force and was given the choice of becoming an electrician. i went through a 6 month tech school learning very quickly many aspects of the trade, upon graduation given the title apprentice. once at my first station (currently kadena afb japan) i began working as many "groundman" do stocking, cleaning, and watching from the ground. i became fascinated with this field and after completing more paper based training(6 months) started to get up more. we only have concrete here so for my keeping up on the climbing wood poles skills it sucks. but i began to want to gain more knowledge seeing that i have the title of journeyman. i realize on the civilian side i wouldnt be called a journeyman for a long time. i began to do distance learning with northwest lineman college in idaho. i am halfway through this program and so far there is alot of useful info here. overall i have enjoyed this career field very much and would recommend anyone with good common sense and a nag for learning to look into and pursue this career field. i am looking to get out in dec 2011 and get on hopefully with florida power and light. i feel i have everything it takes to get started and the will to continue learning. but like i mentioned this is just an alternative way to getting into linework if you feel good with it. all my schooling and continuing education is paid for so it really helps out on initial costs. well thanks to all of you for your hard work and look forward to joining you one day in the near future.

wtdoor67
01-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Ah the remarks by Gummby are just typical of a lot of people. It's not offensive to me. When I worked transmission jobs we always disrespected the local distribution hands because they weren't doing what we were and when I worked on distribution crews we likewise disrespected transmission crews because they were a bunch of dummies.

It's just human nature. There's a grain of truth to it sometimes. I've worked on distribution crews that had people who didn't have a clue to do simple transmission things and I've worked on transmission crews with guys who didn't even know how to hang a pot.

A good co. will give folks a good sprinkling of transmission and distribution training so that they're comfortable no matter what they're doing. Many co's neglect that and it turns out hands who are only "distribution", or "transmission" hands.

I have worked with guys on distribution who were pretty damn good transmission hands and with guys on transmission who were pretty damn good distribution hands. Some just call them Journeymen linemen.

livewire277
01-21-2009, 03:50 PM
I am from Cleveland ohio i have had a interest for a long time in this field. i went to a "PSI Orientation" for First Energy and it seems like a vary nice program. but it seems to be geared more for an 18 year old guy living at home that can still go to school for the next 2 years and not worry about an income. im 30 years old and have a 2 year old to support and just cant give up the job i already have to go to school during the day. if it was night school i could swing it. i know im not the only one on here with this delama. i am already in the IBEW locle 673. the IBEW in the grater Cleveland do not have a overhead line program. Would it be worth my time to just get into first energy as a meter reader or just in any part of the company and work my way into a program that works with you a bit more on this?

cj28
02-06-2009, 12:01 AM
frist go to a contractor they are good guys to learn from you can learn the book crap if you like but if you don't know what to do then not only you put yourself in trouble your pole buddy also i've been a lead lineman for 8yrs seen some that come out of school same class and was lost maken the money that i was that i would not let pull a cut out my 2nd class was better lineman than he was and the only reason i don't care for the union because if i see a guy with hands in there pocket i'll be talking crap if you are a good lineman you don't have to hide behind someone (i love line work the rest is bull *hit ) but don't get me wrong school helps but don't let it swell your head remember the 1st or lead lineman has been around union or not

Army_Jim
02-09-2009, 03:32 PM
I am just a wanna be, but I know of one thing you could do. Join the national guard. Sure you have a chance of being deployed but you make great money while your gone, but you would be able to use your GI Bill to pay you during your apprenticeship. They make up the difference between Journy Pay and Apprentice pay. Plus most of the lineman schools out there are federally accredited, which means you will get back most of the Tuition you paid in. On top of that most Employers see you as dedicated, responsible, and reliable, if your in the guard. It's a far fetched idea, but hey you never know who might do it.

T-Man
03-03-2009, 09:47 AM
The best results getting a job in a midwest utility has been to enroll in a techincal school that offers electric distribution worker training. There will be a wait for that I'm sure. . . This is not the only answer though, You need to have an absoultly clean drivers licence, you need to be drug free, believe it or not a good credit report counts, no criminal record, even driving tickets make a difference, You will in most cases need to pass a physical test, it's easy to get busted up doing this work ( shoulders, Knees, backs, you name it) You need to be ready and willing for work each day, and don't ask for permission to come in late because it snowed last night and you have to shovel out your drive before you get in. . . .
Right now go-getters with all their ducks in a row are going to be a premium and snapped up. . .yea companys are cutting back but their pool of peolple will be smaller and smarter, hard working dudes and dudettes. They will have to replace some of the old dogs leaving in the next 5 years and this has got to make a demand for Lineworkers that stuff just don't jump up there on those poles. Then once you get in listen to your crew leader, go to Union meetings and be ready when they call you to get r done. because getting in is only the tip of that iceburg. . .
Good Luck

ezlife41
04-20-2009, 04:07 PM
I have sat here for almost an hour reading all these posts. I feel sorry for these new guys that want to come in. Specially with some of you lineman that have posted here. Selfish, self centered, narrow minded and ignorant. We have that idiot from Jersey thinks he's all that. Contractors are this, contractors are that. We are all lineman in one respect or the other. Some of us have been fortunate and have had cushie jobs. Some of us had to work real hard to get where we are. I used to take my son out sometimes on outages in the Great N.W. He used to sit there and watch us work. I would ask him " Is this what you would like to do ?" He said, " I don't think so, your so wet." But to each his own.Education is a big part of line work. Some of you Lineman & Apprentices don't even know how to read or write. Granted I heard some good input some some of the sensible Lineman. But it seems that some of you get on here just to toot your own horn. "cause nobody else wants to listen to your B.S. in person. Get an Education kids. Go to a tech school or something JATC. You do need some book work. That's why our industry is going down the tubes, uneducated lineman that can't represent us or know how 'coz some can't even read a contract.I have had a lot of Lineman work for me from around the country not two Lineman are the same. I have had similar amount of Apprentices. same thing Get an Education,what ever it takes'It sucks when your standing there in a safety meeting and they ask you tio read an artickle and you can't even read that well. By the way my son is not a Lineman. If you can't be a Lineman be a Heavy Equipment Opertor. Good money too.

theFNG
08-31-2009, 10:24 PM
outside vs. utility ...

i am a first step apprentice and it took me 3 years to get to this point. i thought i wanted to do nothing but utility work, but then i started hearing that if you go transmission, your transmission and thats it, same thing with distribution. dont get me wrong if i would have gotten a utility job before i got on on the outside i would have taken it. but now that i am on the outside i wouldnt trade it for anything, i want to well versed in every area of the trade, not a lineman specialized in distribution or transmission. i am by no means talking down on any utility lineman, there job is just as dangerous and demanding as the next guy, but i want to be able to go to a utility in 6, 7, or even 8 years and say you know i know how to do distribution and transmission and i can virtually pick what i want to go into.

so back to how to get into the industry. i applied and waited. bottom line, applied nearly 3 years ago at my JATC, interviewed nearly 16 months ago, and now im a first step.

Good luck to all, dont get discouraged, if this is your dream and passion it will happen, just know that it isnt going to happen overnight, maybe several years.

Sdg&e/Calnevjatc Lineman
09-01-2009, 09:08 AM
TheFNG, are you in the Riverside JATC? What area did they send you to work at?

israelmarquez
09-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Check Ur Pm Bro.

Future Lineman
10-18-2009, 10:52 AM
im a senior in high school but im goin to a school in southern ky next november. 8 week seesion to get my apprentiship. hopefully it kicks off after that

unionhand
01-19-2010, 07:00 PM
IBEW the right choice.

Oklineman
01-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Im a DOL IBEW Lineman out of L.U. 1002 in Oklahoma, i started in Oregon.

All i can say is NLC www.lineman.edu

apply go and they will help find you a job!! one week there and you will know if you are cut out for the job.

solobreakaway
04-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Im a DOL IBEW Lineman out of L.U. 1002 in Oklahoma, i started in Oregon.

All i can say is NLC www.lineman.edu

apply go and they will help find you a job!! one week there and you will know if you are cut out for the job.

yeah.. I was thinking that would be the only realistic way to get started on being a lineman, going to a private school.

YES you have to spend your own money, YES some of it is baloney, YES its true that when you get out your in basically the same position as before....

But being the state of the economy... I think its a huge step to getting even a chance at getting into an IBEW apprenticeship. Plus you get your tools, some climbing, some theory, and you show that you have an investment and desire to get into the industry. Plus you get your CDL.

I guess most importantly, is you get started. the journey of 10000 miles begins with the first step.

scratchpad
04-18-2010, 10:22 PM
you'll apply to every JATC region and be willing to pick up and move to get started. You'll fly or drive and do whatever it takes to get to that interview or test.

From the link provided you can have all the information to be on your way. In this economy.............it takes some time. Unless you have luck and timing on your side.
http://www.ajatc.org/pages/contact.php#calnev

In some cases a pre-apprentice school helps to be one step ahead of the game as far as getting in. Some utilities require it to apply. There were several guys in my class who had no schooling or climbing experience so i know it's possible to get in w/o it. Try that route first.

Take a look at avista, sltc, volta, la trade tech, east la skills center or others if you do plan on going to a trade school. The 600 hour cert. is what your after not a 2 year degree. Do your own research on the schools.

scratchpad
04-18-2010, 10:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_electric_companies

www.indeed.com - type in groundman or apprentice lineman under what and leave where blank

http://careers.cooperative.com/c/search_results.cfm?site_id=227

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/a9doe.aspx

http://www.energyjobsportal.com/?gclid=CPe6iIvdkaECFRsVawodHnEDZA

scratchpad
04-18-2010, 11:18 PM
investor owned utilities
http://www.utilityconnection.com/page2b.asp

muni's and power agencies
http://www.utilityconnection.com/page2e.asp

There has to be many openings within those links provided, search away. Search every morning and night. Be the first to apply.

solobreakaway
04-19-2010, 05:23 PM
I found these JATC programs in the southeast...

i noticed that they overlap with Selcat.. so i was wondering if they are really outside line jatc's ?

Shreveport Area Electrical JATC

Northern Alabama Electrical JATC

Birmingham Electrical JATC

scratchpad
04-19-2010, 05:55 PM
The first link i provided has all the outside line apprenticeship's, there's nine regions.

Those are probably inside wireman apprenticeship's.

pre_apprentice_ID
04-19-2010, 07:39 PM
What is the difference between inside and outside?

scratchpad
04-19-2010, 08:02 PM
one you're working towards a journeyman lineman ticket and the other you're working towards a journeyman electrician ticket

solobreakaway
04-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I was noticing that the JATC in Alaska requires a year of residency before applying...

I also noticed the NEAT Jatc application requires a local address to process your application.

What are the rules and attitudes about people applying from out of the area?

My home state is Washington, meaning going to Volta. But its all locked up for the year.

Am I allowed to apply anywhere?

rcdallas
04-19-2010, 10:23 PM
What is the difference between inside and outside?

Outside is a lineman... inside is electrician.

solobreakaway
04-22-2010, 02:51 AM
Thanks for all the helpful information.

I am waiting to hear from NLC for fall quarter. I am also applying to a few of the JATC's in the meantime, but I dont really have much immediate hope for it after hearing about everyones long waits.

Also I am going up to alaska to fish this summer so maybe I should wait on applying for any more JATC's cause I would hate to get called for an aptitude test or interview and be stuck up there.

I got a copy of the lineman and cablemans handbook and have been studying it....

What else can I do in the meantime to get ready for NLC and honestly, what can I expect there?

tolex42
04-22-2010, 09:41 AM
I was noticing that the JATC in Alaska requires a year of residency before applying...

I also noticed the NEAT Jatc application requires a local address to process your application.

What are the rules and attitudes about people applying from out of the area?

My home state is Washington, meaning going to Volta. But its all locked up for the year.

Am I allowed to apply anywhere?

Some of the linemen's JATCs are reluctant to accept applicant from outside of their area because they feel after 7,000 hours and the expense of training, you will then return to you home area.

Also they have no problem getting all the qualified applicants they need from their own geographic area.

scratchpad
04-24-2010, 10:13 AM
http://www.business.com/directory/energy_and_environment/electric_power_utilities/cooperative_utilities/

click and scroll

scratchpad
04-24-2010, 10:14 AM
http://www.business.com/directory/energy_and_environment/electric_power_utilities/municipal_and_public_utilities/

click and scroll

scratchpad
04-24-2010, 10:15 AM
http://www.business.com/directory/energy_and_environment/electric_power_utilities/investor-owned_utilities/

click and scroll

Lineman8581
04-27-2010, 11:14 AM
:eek::eek:;)
Welcome CF! Safety is important .......even to those ole nasty dag gum rat contractors. Horrible creatures that they are! Hang tough. We got a few uppity folks(Lineman snobs) here, but ain't that like on any type of line job? Or anywhere you may go?

Looking forward to more posts from you sir!

--LA

solobreakaway
04-27-2010, 08:33 PM
wow... im new to this forum and career field.

I cant believe how deep the division seems to be between union and non union workers.

I don't really understand it, but I have a feeling I will soon.

I do got to say though, that unions always seemed like a good idea, from a workers point of view and in a field as dangerous as this, it seems a prerequisite.

Profit pressure from private firms just doesn't seem like it would fit in with safety.

You guys should read 'Sometimes a Great Notion' by Ken Kesey.
It has a lot to do with this same division in the labor force, this very issue, and its a really great read.

wild bill
05-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Hello everyone

Newbie here, my local union hall will be taking apps for lineman and substation work and I am considering trying to get into this profession. I have been reading threads in this forum and I know it is Lineman forum but can anyone shed any info about working at a substation?

Thanks
bill

solobreakaway
05-30-2010, 03:44 AM
As you begin an ibew apprenticeship....

what tools are you expected to have? where should you get them from ? and how much are you looking at to get started? by your seventh step?

thanks

i dont want to buy the wrong things, things i dont need, or things that will break or make me an incomplete lineman.

rocky mtn lineman
10-19-2010, 02:43 PM
there are many ways of starting out. there is hiring on as a goundman out of the local union hall and gather some experiance, or going through a trade school, such as a pre- apprenticeship training lineman school. both of these will give you the experiance and knowledge to score high on the interview process for an apprenticeship.you can go to web sites to find what is near you. The halls near me are IBEW locals 532 and 44 and 768 for montana and we have a school at MT Tech in Butte Mt and the apprenticeship here is Mountain States Constructors JATC.

falainwest
01-24-2011, 07:00 AM
hey everyone,

can somebody please give me the top 5 states in usa with many openings for lineman apprentices: thanks

there are many ways of starting out. there is hiring on as a goundman out of the local union hall and gather some experiance, or going through a trade school, such as a pre- apprenticeship training lineman school. both of these will give you the experiance and knowledge to score high on the interview process for an apprenticeship.you can go to web sites to find what is near you. The halls near me are IBEW locals 532 and 44 and 768 for montana and we have a school at MT Tech in Butte Mt and the apprenticeship here is Mountain States Constructors JATC.

newb250
01-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Hey i was thinking of applying to JCR Line construction here in NH after sltc has anyone heard anything bad or good about this company? a guy from psnh told me they were pretty safe but just looking for some input?

falainwest
03-03-2011, 01:06 PM
hello guys; i am thinking of getting into the linman career, can anybody recomment this pre apprentice program for me or has any idea if it is a good one.http://www.eiti.us

Traveling man-JL
03-10-2011, 08:55 AM
I have herd that a new Line College is going to be opening that is supported by the IBEW www.globalpowerlineacademy.com I think this is the only one supported by the IBEW but don't quote me on it.

Lightningrod
08-20-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm 24 and live in northwest Ga and I have a wife and young baby so I can't relocate right now to go to an njatc. Ideally I would like to get on at somewhere like Ga power. With a young family I don't want to do a lot of traveling. Any suggestions on what I should do to get into the trade?

hollasx
09-07-2011, 10:40 AM
I graduated in 2009 (3rd in my class)from accredited lineman school in Oklahoma and I still haven't found a permanent job in this state. The only jobs I have found have been temporary jobs with contractors.

jcarstensen
01-29-2012, 01:07 PM
I am an Overhead Linesman (Transmission) in the UK, although from what i am aware, in the US the role is know as 'Journeyman'? Is it possible to gain work easily in the US with my experience or would i have to do courses, school, college etc? I have worked on the lines for 5 years now, starting as a trainee, working through the grades of improver, LE2 & now LE1. I have refurbished lines of 275Kv & 400Kv.

All information received would be grateful.

Rogeribanez
10-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Hey brothers! Looking to start another apprenticeship. The company I work for is laying me off. I have been an apprentice for a year with 6 months basic skills and 6 months low voltage. So far all I have heard is the Texas will hire me right away. Not sure if its true but if it is then does any one know where? I plan on staying union too. Honestly I will travel anywhere where I can either start new or pick up where I left off. Plus I dont wanna be off my hooks for too long. I might get too comfortable!HAHA! Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Hooker
10-13-2012, 11:39 AM
I saw this a couple days ago

Hot off the Press! Apprentices Needed!!!!!!!!! Serving Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas. Looking for a rewarding career with excellent pay and benefits??? Here you go! They have open calls for apprentices!!!!

SOUTHWESTERN LINE AJATC

3813 ACADEMY PARKWAY SOUTH, NE
ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87109
www.swlcat.org

Phone: (505)222-5070
Fax: (505)222-5071

Rogeribanez
10-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks brother! Put in an app request and will be giving them a call on Monday for more info.

Daniel
10-14-2012, 02:32 PM
I have a question. What are the chances of a felon becoming a lineman? I'm asking for my brother. Thanks.

Rogeribanez
10-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Well Daniel I don't think a utility would employ a felon but I could be wrong. I know when u apply for a utility they ask what type of felonies you have and they do a backround check. So make sure to put everything down or they will find out. I'm sure contractors would though. I don't remember doing a backround with them.

Daniel
10-14-2012, 07:28 PM
yeah thats what I was thinking. My brother was wondering cus I have been going on and on about becoming a lineman so naturally he wants to do it too.

Hooker
10-15-2012, 06:15 PM
No problem roger. Hope it works out.

neil macgregor
12-18-2012, 07:51 PM
I have a question. What are the chances of a felon becoming a lineman? I'm asking for my brother. Thanks.

In the uk I think its mandatory

Daniel
12-26-2012, 12:18 PM
In the uk I think its mandatory haha. I dont think he wants to go that far..
Does anyone wanna recommend a line school to attend after I get out of the Navy? I'm stationed in Washington, from Illinois and willing do go ANYWHERE as long as its a good school that will boost my chances of getting an apprenticeship anywhere. Thanks!!

T-Man
12-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Across the border to the north of "flatland" in the great state of Wisconsin we have Blackhawk Tech in Janesville, Moraine Tech up in Beaver Dam, and there is one in Green Bay. All have courses for distribution workers. But you have to enroll early as they have long waiting lists. Good luck and again thanks for serving.

T

Daniel
12-26-2012, 02:34 PM
great. Thanks a lot, I'm sure you all get tired of hearing question after question and I appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction.

T-Man
12-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Hey Dan, dumb questions are way better than dumb mistakes. . .:cool:

Daniel
12-26-2012, 03:40 PM
That's funny, I tell Airman (lower ranking folks) that all the time. I work on aircraft so if I don't know something or don't ask there's a chance some may die.

I'm sure you all can relate.

FDEE30
10-22-2013, 02:22 AM
Any socal heads up in here ?

ozzy
03-06-2014, 04:33 PM
San Diego here, have any good leads on any apprenticeships?

Alexyikes00
05-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Yep.. Los Angeles here

Marshy09
04-07-2015, 08:59 AM
hey there folks, just wondering what the best way to go about starting a career in being a lineman here in illinois. any information would be helpful!

stiffneck
04-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Go back and read all the postings on this thread. Definitely get your Class "A" CDL. Read my bio and find out what didn't work years ago, but might work today. Also, be prepared to move to some other part of the country. This is something I did NOT think about trying in the those "early" years.

harleyjackson1
05-12-2015, 09:41 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had in advice for a 18 year old girl who wants to be a lineman. Im used to working outside and in the elements, but I didn't know if there was any other obstacles that might be difficult.

jmaxwell9
01-13-2016, 10:24 PM
Gentlemen,

I have been interviewing with local utilities and applying across the country for apprentice and groundman positions for the past 2 years religiously. A little background - I have worked as a trimmer and groundman for a local tree company, I have my CDL A, OSHA 10, and climbing experience. My resume is dominated by my work experience as a Golf Professional, yes I know, completely unrelated and irrelevant, but it is what it is. I left my cushy job as a Golf Pro to become a lineman.

I interviewed with ALBAT out of local 1393 this past October (2015) and I ranked #15. I believe I am currently #11 with interviews coming up in February.

I am currently a self employed personal trainer - this is what I attended Indiana University for. I want nothing more than to go to work as an apprentice for a union company or an organization such as ALBAT; problem is I don't have work experience necessary to get my foot in the door and I can't afford to work for a non-union shop and take a pay cut as I am providing for my family (wife and 1yr old son).

Anyone know of anything I haven't thought of?

Can anyone tell me their opinion on my current rank with ALBAT at #11 - think I'll get the call? :confused:

OverEasy
03-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Gentlemen,

Can anyone tell me their opinion on my current rank with ALBAT at #11 - think I'll get the call? :confused:

Hey man, any update on the ALBAT? I'm just curious, if you got picked up within couple of months, since #11 looks good.

I'm considering applying to ALBAT. I've already applied to Mountain states + Cal/Nev.

runningbear1982
04-24-2016, 10:47 PM
Hey guys,

Checking in. Grandpa was a lineman and uncle was, didn't think much about it growing up. Was a Power Generator Mechanic in the Service because they were giving a huge bonus. Woke up one day last month and thought it was time to do something different than turn wrenches or drive truck for people who give less than a fart about me. Not scared of heights, and electricity seems to get along with me. WTH I'm going to be a lineman. Going next week to a union house down the street to talk to some fellows. Hope to see you guys around. Be safe and I"ll check back in later.

Tvc28
05-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Hey there fellas, new to the board. Great information on here!
A quick background of myself.
I'm 31, switching careers to be a lineman. I've done construction since I was 16(concrete and finish carpentry mostly) so not exactly the most relatable experience.
This past 6 months I've picked up my class 'A', Osha10, flagger cert, cpr etc.
Currently signed onto 11 out of work books as a book 4 groundman for a few months and have applications in at a few local contractors.
I interviewed last month at NW and didn't do so hot(184, no idea how many there were) it sounded like they wanted to see more experience.
What I'm getting at... Do the book 4's ever move? Is there anywhere that is moving?
Line school seems like the next logical step, but I keep hearing it's a waste of money.
Patience is a virtue?

smoke_eater
01-13-2017, 03:31 PM
Hey there fellas, new to the board. Great information on here!
A quick background of myself.
I'm 31, switching careers to be a lineman. I've done construction since I was 16(concrete and finish carpentry mostly) so not exactly the most relatable experience.
This past 6 months I've picked up my class 'A', Osha10, flagger cert, cpr etc.
Currently signed onto 11 out of work books as a book 4 groundman for a few months and have applications in at a few local contractors.
I interviewed last month at NW and didn't do so hot(184, no idea how many there were) it sounded like they wanted to see more experience.
What I'm getting at... Do the book 4's ever move? Is there anywhere that is moving?
Line school seems like the next logical step, but I keep hearing it's a waste of money.
Patience is a virtue?

Yo! Any luck with anything man?

smoke_eater
01-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Gentlemen,

I have been interviewing with local utilities and applying across the country for apprentice and groundman positions for the past 2 years religiously. A little background - I have worked as a trimmer and groundman for a local tree company, I have my CDL A, OSHA 10, and climbing experience. My resume is dominated by my work experience as a Golf Professional, yes I know, completely unrelated and irrelevant, but it is what it is. I left my cushy job as a Golf Pro to become a lineman.

I interviewed with ALBAT out of local 1393 this past October (2015) and I ranked #15. I believe I am currently #11 with interviews coming up in February.

I am currently a self employed personal trainer - this is what I attended Indiana University for. I want nothing more than to go to work as an apprentice for a union company or an organization such as ALBAT; problem is I don't have work experience necessary to get my foot in the door and I can't afford to work for a non-union shop and take a pay cut as I am providing for my family (wife and 1yr old son).

Hey man, any luck with anything?