PDA

View Full Version : advice?

Line Cowboy
03-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Just a couple ?s about this trade. First Im a 2nd step ap. Iwas just wonderin which was better Union or non union? Also how long does it usualy take to get to where a guy trusts his tools. :mad: I have been climbin about a month now but still get uneasy sometimes. I feel like my gaffs aren't in the pole good but a reset sometimes reasures.... any tips would be on open and eager ears :)

Elric
03-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Hey man...I am a newbie myself but my old man told me to go with the union and union only. Otherwise, you are on your own and you don't want to do this while working with the live conductor. As simple as that. I wouldn't expect any trust for the first year at least :)

dave948
03-18-2006, 07:48 PM
I never like to comment on the union vs. non union thing. I have worked for both and can tell you that good and bad exist in both. Pick your employer wisely your life could depend on it.

That said union does have a very good training program that is basicly standardized across the board. You may or may not get this in a non union outfit.

Comford with your tools and climbing only comes with time. The key is to never work outside your comford level no matter what it is or who tells you different. At the end of the day you are the one responsible for making sure you make it home to your family the same way you left in the morning.

Keep at it and it will come in time, but always look out for yourself and coworks.

Line Cowboy
03-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey thanks guys.... I do love this tarde and the brotherhood that goes with it and i do plan to keep at it. Hopefully the trust will come :)

Goathead
03-22-2006, 08:43 PM
You ask how long it takes to get used to climbing,well that varies from person to person.Just like athletes some are more skilled then others.What you need to work on is your technique that is keeping the proper distance from the pole,keeping a leg locked,and driving your gaffs in at a proper angle.slapping your gaff against the pole,and keeping your body to far,or close to the pole are comon problems.A good gauge for this is the distance between your elbow and knuckles.Its also very important to have the proper size belt,and your hooks fitted properly

dirtdobber
03-29-2006, 09:14 PM
trust all your brothers take your time b-4 you know it you will climb a pole and never even think about having your hooks on will become second nature.for your other tools its up to the operator of said tools.

apprenticeCB
03-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Newbie, I am also a 2nd step app. I almost washed out because of my lack of trust in my tools and not feeling comfortable. Luckily I have a crew and foreman that believe in me, and have worked with me so that I am improving every day and now completely trust my equipment. It takes alot of practice, support and pushing yourslef through it. I was not comfortable with my hooks and would stomp them 4 or 5 times until I burried them and them I would be comfortable, I was showed to place my gaffs at the proper angle and then they do not need to be sunk to be set, also I learned to open my belt up more so that it makes my angle with the pole better to assure the gaffs are pointed to the center of the pole. I hope this helps.....KEEP trying and it will get better, dont give up

Line Cowboy
03-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks Brother it does get better every pole

ebes
04-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Newbie, climbing up the pole is just a mode of transportation. It's what you do when you get to the top that matters.

omg1
04-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Ask around and find someone that has filed the dove tail off of their gaffs and try them once,you might like that better.also attach alot of weight to the back of ur belt and climb a little (dont go very high) 15 20 minutes ,then take the weight off and climb again you'll be suprised..

scammy
05-22-2006, 11:31 PM
climb every chance you get ,,,dont ever let the old guys climb if you can and sooner than later you will be comfortable climing,,,,,Scammy...also find a mentor who is the same size as you ,and watch his style.

the hammer
05-23-2006, 12:11 AM
I worked for two contractors before getting a job at an invester owned company. Both contractors were non-union and I guess I really didn't know any different at the time. Both contractors were safe, but I think I missed out on a lot of money. The union contractors did pay quite a bit better and may look a little better on the resume.

As far as climbing the biggest mistake I see new guys make is having the scare strap to short. If the strap is to short then you can't work your legs right and you become tired in a hurry and you don't get the gaffs in the pole as good. Just take your time and be safe, there's always going to be times when your not sure about the gaffs and you'll want to re-sink them. I never had a problem with distribution poles, but hated climbing transmission, just because I have short arms and it was hard to hold onto the fat poles when belting and un-belting around insulators. That's where a 2nd belt would probably be handy, but never used one. I always climbed the distribution free hand up, and then left the strap around pole but just let it slide down the pole while free handing on the way down.

cj28
11-09-2006, 08:30 PM
well i have been non union all my career and i like it but thats me if you fell nervious up the pole put this in your head we all have been there people say union is to protect people but if you know your job protection is on the truck or in your glove bag