PDA

View Full Version : Accident

loodvig
05-23-2006, 06:24 AM
Linesman injured in fall from uprooted utility pole

(single page view)
(view as multiple pages)By Mike LaBella
Staff Writer

HAVERHILL — A linesman plummeted more than 30 feet from a utility pole that became uprooted at the Renaissance Golf Club, and while he lay in pain on the ground, the pole fell on him.

Steve Livingston, an employee of Halpin Line Construction of Weymouth, was airlifted to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston and was reported in fair condition last night.

The hospital declined to describe his injuries, but co-workers said he suffered serious injuries, including possibly two broken legs. Co-workers at the scene said Livingston is from Jamaica.

The accident occurred around 3 p.m. yesterday between the 11th and 12th holes of the Renaissance Golf Club, a private course bordered by Kenoza Street and East Broadway.

It was the second incident in the city in less than 24 hours involving the toppling of utility poles due to high wind.

Five utility poles fell over along Salem Street in Bradford Sunday night forcing a portion of the road to be closed overnight while power lines were reconnected. There were no injuries in that incident.

Don Doughty of Woburn, a superintendent for Halpin Line Construction, said Livingston was working about 34 feet off the ground disconnecting unused electric power lines from the top of the utility pole when a gust of wind knocked the pole over and onto one of the golfing greens.

He said Livingston, whose age is thought to be 34, came crashing to the ground and the utility pole landed on top of him.

"We were removing power lines that had been replaced by underground lines," Doughty said. "I hope he's going to be all right. It's not too often this kind of thing happens."

One co-worker, Robert McAtee, said Livingston was not breathing after falling. McAtee said he administered mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to Livingston while waiting for an ambulance to arrive.

"He was in a lot of pain and was complaining about his legs," McAtee said.

Police termed it an industrial accident and said they were waiting for Occupational Safety and Health Administration officials to arrive to investigate the cause.

loodvig
05-23-2006, 08:03 AM
A lot of questions here. I saw the pictures on TV and the wire was still on the glass! I know this line and area. The golf club paid to have the 23kv line put under ground. The club didn't want trucks out there to remove the old overhead line and poles. It's too bad because Halpin/Hawkeye seem to be a good company.
I just don't think 'a gust of wind blew the pole down'!

ts94
05-23-2006, 07:44 PM
sounds like a shit pole that was never inspected and the wire was the only thing holding it up. add one lineman and gravity takes over. I hope the golf course will forgive the divit. ASSHOLES.

old lineman
05-23-2006, 09:47 PM
sounds like a shit pole that was never inspected and the wire was the only thing holding it up. add one lineman and gravity takes over. I hope the golf course will forgive the divit. ASSHOLES.

Who is the asshole the golf club? Give me a break. Hundreds of thousands of poles have been removed without a truck. Years ago that was the only way. There isn't a golf course in the country that would allow a heavy truck rolling over their property.
Who's the asshole the lineman? Give me a break. The lineman might not have been afforded the time to secure the pole with ropes. I don't know and neither do you.
Who's the asshole the supervisor? Perhaps because he was pushing but don't be so fast. I don't know and neither do you.
Why does it always happen that there is and accident and some of you start comdemning. You don't know all of the facts.
I know this though, whenever you relieving or adding strain on a pole especially an old one or one where the grade may have been changed over the years it should be secured by rope three ways. That should be company policy.
That's work methods my friend and it takes time.
Unless you teach linemen good rigging techniques, allow the time it takes, supply the tools, provide good supervision and cultivate a good safety culture this kind of thing happens. Thankfully he may make a full recovery, lot's don't.
Let's wait for more information before you start throwing rocks.
It would be far more beneficial to all of us to be constructive and solve the problems with our own ideas. Anyone walking down the street could throw their hands in the air and say "the assholes", surely your smarter than that
The Old Lineman

graybeard
05-24-2006, 09:35 AM
Old Linemans RIGHT.
Just goes to prove that as LINEMAN we still have to be able to climb SAFELY. And that means taking all safty precautions. Guys we gota look out for each other.

duckhunter
05-24-2006, 09:37 AM
Amen, Amen, Amen! I am gald to hear someone else feels the way I do Old Lineman. I guess for some people it's just easier to choose to be miserable all their lives.

loodvig
05-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Man in fair condition after fall from utility pole

By Mike LaBella
Staff Writer

HAVERHILL — A worker who fell more than 30 feet from a utility pole at the Renaissance Golf Club on Monday was listed in fair condition a day after the fall.

Steve Livingston, an employee of Halpin Line Construction of Weymouth, was airlifted to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston following the accident.

A hospital spokesman declined to describe his injuries, but coworkers said he suffered serious injuries, including possibly two broken legs. Coworkers at the scene said Livingston is from Jamaica.

The accident occurred about 3 p.m. on Monday between the 11th and 12th holes of the golf club, a private course bordered by Kenoza Street and East Broadway.

Don Doughty of Woburn, a superintendent for Halpin Line Construction, said Livingston was working about 34 feet off the ground disconnecting unused electric power lines from the top of the utility pole when a gust of wind knocked the pole over and onto one of the golfing greens.

He said Livingston, whose age is thought to be 34, came crashing to the ground and the utility pole landed on top of him.

The hospital spokesman said Livingston was in fair condition as of yesterday afternoon.

I was told by some who were there that the golf club had removed dirt around the pole. The pole was less than 30'' in the ground! Add that to the weight of 795 aluminum wire and there's going to be trouble.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ts94
05-24-2006, 07:22 PM
OK Pops, the pole was less than 30" in the ground you tell me who the ASSHOLES are. You just told me I don't know! I lost a IBEW brother 6 months ago, and have onther one in icu. Forgive me if I don't have your understanding about blame. It sounds to me, you turned your card in for a white hat. I don't know the job you are right, but I know golf courses, not many places to tie a pole off safe enough to climb.

old lineman
05-24-2006, 09:31 PM
OK Pops, the pole was less than 30" in the ground you tell me who the ASSHOLES are. You just told me I don't know! I lost a IBEW brother 6 months ago, and have onther one in icu. Forgive me if I don't have your understanding about blame. It sounds to me, you turned your card in for a white hat. I don't know the job you are right, but I know golf courses, not many places to tie a pole off safe enough to climb.

I'll take the Pops as a compliment. Thank you!
Every lineman should know from his training how far the ID marks are from the pole butt. It will change from pole length to pole length.
If it's eye high it's in the ground, unless some yahoo cut the butt off while setting it because he struck rock. If you have to look up to see it be suspicious.
Even if everything looks good the company still should have a policy that when changing strain on a pole (especially when totally removing the conductors) the pole should be tied off. Have you ever heard of butt rot?
While we are talking about things you've never heard of, what about driving pins into the ground if there are no trees.
If the strain is too much you can double them up and tie one to another.
You should buy a seasoned lineman a beer or two, maybe three and let him tell you how a lineman has to think all of the time AND be open minded for suggestions. There isn't a lineman alive that knows evertything there is to know.
Has this trade lost all the art of working from a pole. I don't think so. It's just people who like to blame everybody but themselves that make it look like it. Remember yung-un when you point your finger three are pointing back at YOU. Keep your ears to the tracks you may learn a thing or two that will save your bacon one day.
I certainly wouldn't go into the ICU and tell your brother he messed up, but give your head a shake. By the way I used to be in local 326 and I don't have a white hat. I also spent a good deal of time in Haverhill.
This accident was 100% preventable.
The Old Lineman

scammy
05-24-2006, 10:03 PM
the new generation is coming up ,,,, we have less costomer loyalty than the old guys,,,,,,but here me out. they have taken our other jobs and screwed us with 2 tier programs ,and long term health and retierment,, they act like they cant do 20 minutes without lights,,,,we know they dont care about us ,,,,if you cant cut a 2 inch limb to get a truck in, and the way the companys are these days,,,,,,,,,,,bring on the planks,,,,scammy

rusty
05-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Old Lineman,

Some times things are NOT AS THEY APPEAR!

""" Every lineman should know from his training how far the ID marks are from the pole butt. It will change from pole length to pole length.
If it's eye high it's in the ground, There isn't a lineman alive that knows evertything there is to know.""""

It is my understanding """ THERE WERE NO BIRTH MARKS ON THESE POLES""", the poles were sounded and were ok to climb???

""" Has this trade lost all the art of working from a pole. I don't think so. """

While this is true with every passing day our older Brothers are leaving the trade, due to the manpower needs of our trade MANY new Brothers are being put in to work situations they have no business being in! Many times today people are being moved up the ladder solely due to having nobody else!

""" This accident was 100% preventable """.

Yes as most are, the question is who's mistake was it??? I feel we are missing way to much information TO EVEN GUESS! But I would asked all those in this trade to remember. NOT everybody was trained the same or had the same level of experence teaching them! I see and hear it EVERYDAY! Many do not even realize what is now happening in our trade, just because it wouldn't be tolerated nor accepted in your area, DON'T THINK IT ISN'T, OR NOT ONLY ACCEPTED " BUT " ALSO DEMANDED IN OTHER AREAS!!!

The best guess I have at this time with the information recieved, is there were SEVERAL mistakes made here AT ALL LEVELS OF RESPONSIBILITY and LIABILITY, NOT JUST THE BROTHER ON THE POLE!!! Yet once again it is the BROTHER LAYING IN THE HOSPITAL!!!! And not those responsible for helping creating the situation!!! Lets pray for the Brother and his family and leave the pissing match for later, WHEN WE HAVE ALL THE INFORMATION! I doubt the Brother and his family and friends give a DAMN whose was at fault right now, their prayers and concerns are for the BROTHER, AS ALL OURS SHOULD BE!!! The truth and facts may one day be known, or at least we hope!

ts94
05-25-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm a troubleshoter, don't think I don't think every job out. I never look at a job the same way. I look at every job thinking what is going to hurt me. I spend my day's and night's working alone. Pretty much at the end of the day the only person I want to buy a beer for is ME.

old lineman
05-25-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm a troubleshoter, don't think I don't think every job out. I never look at a job the same way. I look at every job thinking what is going to hurt me. I spend my day's and night's working alone. Pretty much at the end of the day the only person I want to buy a beer for is ME.

You know ts94 it seems everybody wants to work at least in pairs. That's a good thing, but let's look a little deeper. I like looking deep.
In many accidents that I have investigated mostly the other worker didn't actually see the accident happen. You and I know that's sometimes a crock.
There's a certain percentage where the second person told the first he needed more coverup or what ever and was told to mind his own business.
There's another segment that say he/they were being pressured.
So when you boil it all down and separate the wheat from the chaf, working alone's not so bad is it?
You can visualize all of the potential and actual hazards and guard against them. You don't have to argue whether to do it this way or that. You don't have to worry about someone else closing a switch and so on.
You get the same pay without all the hassles. I think you better keep this to yourself or else somebody will be trying to bump you.
You've got it made in the shade.
Let's do as Rusty says and sit back and wait for more info.
Hopefully those reading this dialogue will take something back to the work place and accidents will be prevented. The trouble with accident prevention is that it's an intagible. You just never hear about the things that don't happen.
The Old Lineman

duckhunter
05-26-2006, 08:35 AM
I agree that we need to ALWAYS wait until the facts come out before judgement is made, however, I don't see anyone coming back and giving us final conclusions. I will admit that after a few pages of speculation I quit following a thread. I would like to see conclusions or quit bringing them up.

Let's hold EVERYONE accountable. With the shortage of linemen, noone has to work for a bad/dangerous company. With whistle blower laws as strong as they are now, noone needs fear retaliation. It is still your choice of where you work and what you will do. You may have to move, but it is your choice. Is loosing a body part or your life worth it? I've heard guys bitch for years about this or that employee that they feel doesn't work safely. REPORT THEM! When I tell them that the response is "Hey, I gotta work with him 40 hours a week. I don't want to hear the bitchin". My attitude is Hey you gotta work with him 40 hours a week, make him do it the right way.

loodvig
05-26-2006, 09:33 AM
'By the way I used to be in local 326 and I don't have a white hat. I also spent a good deal of time in Haverhill'.

Hmmm? Give me another clue. Are you retired? If yes, your lucky! I must know you.

old lineman
05-26-2006, 10:07 AM
'By the way I used to be in local 326 and I don't have a white hat. I also spent a good deal of time in Haverhill'.

Hmmm? Give me another clue. Are you retired? If yes, your lucky! I must know you.

EMPLOYER: New England Power Service Company out of Westboro
TIME FRAME: 1972-3
STAGING YARD: The airport by the Merrimac River
PROJECT: Upgrade the distribution system with Hendrix spacer cable system, spun primary buss and other related construction. Numerous locations throughout the city.
RETIRED: One year and a half, yipee.
The Old Lineman

ts94
05-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Your right oldlinman I do have it made in the shade, for the life of me I can't understand why a lineman would not want to work as troubleman. Thing about working alone is you don't have to babysit, the only one you can screw is yourself. Right now we are undrer a microscope here at PSEG NJ the two brothers that I talked about a few days ago were tossed from a bucket at about 40 ft up. 6 months apart and neither of them was wearing a harness. The co has started looking real hard at what we do out there, they have turned up a little more dirt that I really don't want to go into here. But to all you PS trouble shooters out there local 94 you know what I'm talking about. So please lets play a little smarter out there. Only one thing worse than a fact finding meeting and thats a call to your family to come the hospital because you got hurt.

tramp67
05-28-2006, 12:55 AM
:mad: Alright, everybody. Let's get past the bickering and try to learn from this accident. I don't know all the facts, and probably never will, but I will learn from this unfortunate accident and try to do whatever I can to prevent it from happening to myself or any of my brothers I am working with. As with any pole that we work on, especially if we climb it, we need to give it a good onceover and sound it, look around and pay attention to adjacent poles, ties, crossarms, etc. Basic stuff. If it is questionable, take the time to do what's necessary to stabilize the pole. If the line is being wrecked out, and a pole is unsafe to climb, why not climb the next pole, drop the wire down, and cut the bad pole off from the ground? As I said, I don't know all the details, but as we all know, hindsight is 20/20. My thoughts and prayers go out to our fellow brother, and I hope for a speedy recovery for him. I appreciate the different views expressed by everyone on this site, and I, and everyone else, should be able to learn from this forum. I just wish it were hypothetical situations being discussed here instead of real accidents happening to my brothers and sisters.