PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the advice!

Ducatist
05-23-2006, 11:23 PM
I am a new fellow to the trade, and to this site.

I recently (yesterday) got hired by the city of Tacoma to be an apprentice in their lineman program. Very excited, and much blessed also. After doing roofing for about a year on $5mil' homes, I decide to do something different.

So thank you everyone for writing down advice for us young pups. It helps. I researched ( read many forums) this trade for a while, and decided to give it a shot. And it worked out, so far. BTW I am only 19 years of age. I start in about 2 weeks. Cant wait.

Feel free to post any advice, etc.

Once again thank you everyone, God Bless.

graybeard
05-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Get ready for some ribbbing, pay attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are no stupid questions unless you ask the same ones over and over again. Be willing to work hard and get your belt and hooks on untill someone tells you to put them away.
If linework was easy it would be just woman and children doing it.
Good Luck
Graybeard

dirtdobber
05-24-2006, 08:30 PM
all the ribbing that you are going to have to put up with dont let it get under your skin. you will find it will be well worth your while to take it in stride. learn all you can from the senior lineman they are the ones which did it when there wernt the luxury of hydraulic buket trucks. :)

Ducatist
05-24-2006, 09:02 PM
For sure. Im excited about the future. And once again thanks for the advice, what ever happens.....happens. I just want to learn, and be the best worker I can possibly be.

Keep on giving advice, we will listen.

Ducati

ts94
05-27-2006, 08:36 PM
One of the worst things you can say and I find alot of new boys say it "I KNOW" Even if it is just a habbit don't say it, let me tell you, if you knew I wouldn't be telling you. After someone explains ask questions and if you understand reply that way. " I UNDERSTAND"

Ducatist
05-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Thank You. Very important thing to remember.

Dacuti

Linemo
06-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Show up on time always learn to be a go getter dont be a slacker watch listen and learn all you can from your peers ! as far as asking questions the only stupid ones are the ones you dont ask this line of work is unlike anything you have ever done !And in the same nothinc can be as rewarding,difficult and frustraiting but you will love it !

just say no
06-25-2006, 08:46 PM
many years back when i was an apprentice i happened to be working with a splicer. i asked why he was'nt a lineman..he said one day when he was an app lineman his journeymen said that during his apprenticeship he would either have a flash or cut out...well that night he went up a service pole had a flash then cut out and hit the ground.....true story...good luck