PDA

View Full Version : Very interested in becoming a lineman, no schooling, no nothing

crashdummie
05-24-2006, 09:52 PM
I have no job related skills, no secondary education, not even employed by a utility company. How can i start the ball in motion to become a power lineman; the quickest route.

Is there some type of 4 month training program that could help me get a job as a power lineman? I can't afford to go to school for years just months as i get liad off in the winter time and could do a course then. I have a family to support aswell.

Thank you very much

Outlaw Lineman
05-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Hey man, there is no "quick route" to become a Lineman. It takes years of training and more time applying what you've learned to be a lineman. I just hope you're not just looking for a fat check, cause if it's not in you (linework) you're just asking for trouble, maybe even an early funeral. This is not a trade to be taken lightly. If you REALLY want in the trade go to the local union hall and inquire there. If you are accepted you'll find out in a hurry if it's for you or not. Good luck and remember you can't rush it.

newlinemen
05-25-2006, 09:45 PM
hey,i am a young college kid going into the linemen carrer i was wondering which i should get into Power linemen or Powerlinemen technology, and what the difference is between the two i would also like to know if I need to go any higher than trig. in math

42linehand
05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
You should go to the NJATC website and look at contact info. Call the closest one to you and then Apply. This is for union jobs. It wont cost you apenny and you will get paid while be trained. Be safe and good luck.

theicemanpon
06-02-2006, 10:19 PM
I am not a lineman yet but at 44 and married for 25 years i could sure tell you son in order to get something you have to pay the price.line work is a skill and 4 months of training will only get you from the truck to the ground and back on the truck when the job is done.I have talk to lineman of 30 year's and up to this day they don't know it all.So be patient and really think good and hard if this is what you want for the rest of your life.Local guys tell me about new hire's calling in every day untill they get fired becouse they are scare of the job.It takes .5 (that is half of an amp)to stop your heart for ever;imagine a line carriyng 3000 amp's plus.

IT TAKES FINESS TO RIDE A HARLEY AND BALLS TO BE A LINEMAN!!!

old greyhair
06-16-2006, 10:32 PM
First thing is to contact the local IBEW in your area, go out as a grunt and see what its all about. If you are willing to put 4 years into the program then it might be for you, lots of long hours crap weather and some of the best people youll ever meet. Good luck

just say no
06-23-2006, 07:56 AM
are you nuts???? look and read how these companys treat there employees..cutting bennies,no personal life etc..you better realley think about it...

scammy
07-16-2006, 06:40 PM
depends on were your at .but for what its worth dayton power and light is highering off the street and so is duke or ohio edison in springfield ohio ;;dont be discouraged every one starts somewhere......scammy also dont listen to all the neysayers they arent quittin their jobs are they ,still is a great job.

lwlineman
08-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Powerline work is a very interesting job with good pay. But you need to take your time and don't rush it. There is no fast way to the top, it takes lots of time and hard work. Always pay attention, and ask ?'s , the only dumb ? is the one you didn't ask. Never tell someone you are a lineman, if you know in your mind that your not, just to draw a good check.Remember the money is not worth your life. Good luck and stay safe!!!!!!!!!!

NJlineman55
08-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Do yourself a favor and get into another field of work. This is trade is going to shit thanks to all these mega power companies busting unions and treating lineman like children. Trust me its not all its cracked up to be.

KingRat
08-13-2006, 08:39 AM
you have never seen this. THE LINEMAN They dont wave no banners embroidered in gold, in latin nobody can read. They dont do no braggin of deeds that are bold, their motto is SERVICE with speed. They're fightin' the gales, the blizzards and ice, protectin' the towers and spans. With effort not measured in hours or price- for one cause- JUST SERVICE TO MAN. Their armor ain't nothin' but slickers and boots, their weapons are climbers and pliers, Their battles are fought up where high tension shoots- And death lurks unseen on the wires. Folks forget when the baby gets sick in the night- And a storm rages fiercely outside, What they owe to the feller thats makin' a fight- That their service shall not be denied. So here's to the lineman, the son-of-a-gun, That can go without sleep for a week, That sticks to the job till its every bit done- And the feeders can carry the peak. For his is the knighthood that's nobles't by far- That highes't and mighties't clan thats fightin' the battle of things as they are for the cause of "THE SERVICE OF MAN". if you have never been on the top of a pole or tower thats covered in ice, snowing like hell in the dark with just your groundman holding a flashlight, you aint never lived, its a blast- :D

unionhand
08-13-2006, 09:05 PM
KingRat :D

Bell Wrench
08-16-2006, 06:27 AM
There's many different types of work you can do in the field. Maintenence work is what NSTAR linemen do. Mainly keep the system running from their home towns and doing a few big jobs in their districts to keep up on their skills. Contracting with the IBEW 104 is all big jobs some high line come in other districts doing local distribution work. There's good and bad points to both sides. When you work for a local utility you work with the same guys amost all the time. You never really learn more than a few ways to do something. The bonus is you know who to trust and who not to.
Contracting you DRIVE alot. Jobs can be all over your state and you've got to be there when the work starts or don't show up at all. Just some differences for lineworkers.
There's also substation work you can do, engineering, dispatching (SCADA) , These jobs are usually filled in house at a local utility not by contrators. Do us all a favor and dont become a supervisor. No offense but we've already got alot of college kids telling us how to do our jobs from behind a desk.
If you are determined to be a lineman and you are leaning towards the maintenence side, NSTAR is hiring in MA. Go online and look up Nstaronline.com then go through the career oppertunities link. Do not choose the Bunker Hill program unless you want another 2 yrs of school that wont teach you a damn thing about real linework. The company just posted 40 grade C-line worker positions starting at around $24 an hr.
Theres a simple test and a pre screen to weed out the dumb asses from the potentials. Good luck

danbeaulieu
08-19-2006, 03:24 PM
My name is Dan Beaulieu and I am interested in becoming a lineman. My girlfriends father is a Journeyman Lineman and is encouraging me to pursue. I've become very interested in the idea of joining a union so I'm trying to do online research... but I don't know where to start! Any information (a website, phone number, prerequisites etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Dan Beaulieu 21,
Madison / Lake Geneva WI

jbbrad38
09-02-2006, 07:31 AM
If you want to be a Lineman take all this to heart, it takes dedication. This is not a trade you can takes lightly. It takes skill and determination. You have got to be able to take instructions and be able to do them. I didn't know the first thing about being a lineman 15 yrs ago. but now I think I could hold my own with the best of them. Find a good company that has a good training center that requires you to be able to pass a skills test to be able to adavance to your next classification. Good luck with this

NJlineman55
09-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Go to www.ibew.com and search up locals in your area. Look for ones that say outside construction and give them a call. Ask them about their apprentice program and they will lead you the way. Good luck.