PDA

View Full Version : college, then apprenticeship?

b0rn2b41iv3
06-07-2006, 09:49 PM
so i finished my first year of college studying mechanical engineering, and im working my 2nd summer as a groundman for a contractor here in NY. my father has been a lineman for 20 something years and always told me "go to college so you don't have to do this work." however, i am interested in the work and after talking to a good group of guys ive worked with for 2 summers now, they say, to just do the summer work thing and finish college, then see where i stand after 4 years of school. then, join the apprenticeship here out of 1249 and after another 3-3.5 years, have a degree in engineering and a good trade under my belt.

i'm just looking to hear what some of you guys think. my dad has always taught me about the work since i can remember, and not trying to sound like i know more than i think, but i do have a pretty decent understanding of whats going on with the work. i enjoy the applications, and always have a knack for learning whats going on. (some days can be pretty boring flagging traffic so watching a couple JLs work is quite informative) and figure it could be an opportunity to work some other places around the country.

thanks in advance for any advice.

dirtdobber
06-08-2006, 07:14 PM
to your dad he knows best. but when you finish college do what it is that your heart tells you to. I have 4 boys and do not wish this line of work for them but if they are dead set on it then so be it. :)

b0rn2b41iv3
06-08-2006, 07:20 PM
i wonder if Altec would need some engineers in the near future to work on some newer ideas ;)

riverhog14
06-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Ive been thinking what I should do myself also. 2 years at a community college, or start my career in linework. Maybe do night classes after I start? Right now I want start as a groundman for a utility. After a little while doing that and talking to some of my co-workers Ill make a decision wether to get a degree or not. My only problem is I live in a nice part of the territory, so everyone bids on the jobs in this area. I may have to work 90 minutes away and then bid after something opens up. :/ ooh well thats life for ya. Good Luck!!