PDA

View Full Version : 4 fatalities and 2 serious injuries in three weeks ???

Ghostrider
06-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Our Safety man told us there have been 4 fatalities and three serious injuries in the past three weeks. Elloit had two. One in OH and one in VA, Asplundh had one in MO, a REA had one in TN, R H Henery had a serious injury in OH, and L. E. Myers had a serious injury in OH, JCR had a serious injury in MA.

If these are true I wonder what is happening outside the midwest. I am working for a contactor on REA property in NC so we do not hear much.

The contractor we work for gives us what we need to work safe but I am amazed how many of us lineman do not use or steal what we do have. Just last week both first aid kits were missing off the trucks. No one ever thinks to steal the shovels.

dbrown20
06-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Yeah, we heard about the one in Ohio. Boss read the report to us. It was in the Columbus area but not on AEP's property. It was a 25 year old guy (so young) who was working for Davis Elliot. It was on a coop's property. I believe it was called Buckeye REC. I don't think it will ever stop. With the push for more linemen you know damn well they're letting very inexperienced people do work they shouldn't.

Guy I work with has a son-in-law who works for an REC. He says his son-in-law regularly changes out arms on 24.9 alone. So stupid. Some of these entities have no conscience. dbrown20

Ghostrider
06-24-2006, 05:12 PM
dbrown20 - From what the safety man had to say about all the accidents the men had all the help they needed, It would appear that they made foolish and costly decisions. Seems a shame to have the right training and equipment only to make a poor decision. He did say that most of what he had was second hand and the truth would come out sooner or later. The company I am working for had an accident when we were in TX three years ago. The crew knew better but took a change with grounding and paid dearly for it. I have been in several arguements with folks about how to ground since then. They have a hard time convincing me to work the lines ungrounded.

Trampbag
06-25-2006, 01:38 PM
I have found that in most, if not all, accidents in this trade the whole truth never comes out. Between the companies and the unions, who are protecting themselves, and the fact there is no concentrated authority acting as a watchdog over this trade little will change.

We in the trade are mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed bull shit. We never hear of all the accidents, and when we are working in a yard where one happens the first thing the company does is tell everyone not to talk about it because here is an investigation happening. Then we get some watered down version of the final report, if we ever get one at all. More often than not we get nothing but rumours that suit the companies and unions wellbeing.

Truly, how many of us have ever seen a coroners report or an inquest verdict concerning on of our own? How many linemen, not company managers carrying linemen tickets, have actually have made themselves available to the coroner as an expert witness?

Until us linemen take control of our trade these senseless devastating accidents will continue. What is needed is a national or international standard for training and work methods. I really don’t expect to see it because there are just too many people unwilling to give up their authority or empire.

rgnizr
06-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Does anyone have any details about the reported fatality of an Elliot employee in Virginia?

Elliot has been having an extraordinary number of accidents lately. Luckily most have been close calls but the company doesn't seem to be learning anything from the near-misses. Davis H Elliot in Tulsa ran off their safety and training guy last year because he wanted to shut down some crews in order to put them through badly needed safety classes. This is one of the very worst companies to work for. I'd recommend staying clear of Elliot.

Lnemn's Mom
06-26-2006, 01:55 PM
GALLIA, Ohio (AP) -- Authorities say a man was electrocuted while working on a power line in southeastern Ohio.
Greenfield Fire Department officials say 25-year-old Victor Morris of Langsville was replacing power poles when he was struck yesterday with about 72-hundred kilowatts through his index finger and thumb.

Morris went into cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead at the hospital.

He was working for the Davis H. Elliot Company, a subcontractor for the Buckeye Rural Electric Cooperative.

Fire Chief James Bartels says his department had no further details about what caused the accident.
© 2006

Ghostrider
06-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Just found out about another fatality at Davis H Elliot that happened on June 6th. Had a good friend at OSHA search for OSHA form 36 (Report of fatality)on Davis Elliot this morning. They have two confirmed kills, one on June 6 in VA, and one on June 13 in OH.

From the June 6th accident:
Marshall Dean Tomlin, 37, of Monroe, passed away Tuesday, June 6, 2006 in Shenandoah County.
Born October 25, 1968, in Lynchburg, he was the son of Marshall O. Tomlin and the late Etta Lee Burnette Tomlin. He was a lineman with Davis H. Elliott Electrical Contractors, Roanoke.

I don't have much detail of the accident yet but it was said to be a hat mac draped into the bottom of the bucket with him when he backed into 14.4.

He had three kids but if you want to hear what his daughter Katie had to say, click this link and read her post. http://www.legacy.com/NewsAdvance/G...028&GuestPage=2 Sad, sad, sad.

wudwlkr
06-26-2006, 07:22 PM
GALLIA, Ohio (AP) -- Authorities say a man was electrocuted while working on a power line in southeastern Ohio.
Greenfield Fire Department officials say 25-year-old Victor Morris of Langsville was replacing power poles when he was struck yesterday with about 72-hundred kilowatts through his index finger and thumb.

Morris went into cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead at the hospital.

He was working for the Davis H. Elliot Company, a subcontractor for the Buckeye Rural Electric Cooperative.

Fire Chief James Bartels says his department had no further details about what caused the accident.
© 2006

Heard that there were two crews working on the same line. One crew finished their work and either thought the other crew was also finished or didn't know they were on the line. No safety tags in place and they energized the line on the second crew. Mr. Morris was in contact with the phase conductor when it was energized.

edski104
06-26-2006, 07:31 PM
what the F**K is going on with all of these deaths and near misses. I had one down here in Fla. where dispatch went hot with a feeder without checking to see if everyone was clear!! as for this elliot company,sounds like they just hire guys of the streets and throw them upstairs as fast as they can,and these guys are dying to do it. how do we control all the youngsters when as soon as they make 2nd year,the company wants to throw them on a truck and let'em go. get killed and blame us for not training them right after we said they were NOT ready. or apes that won't go away even after they know they will never make a good lineman,but just HAVE to top out. and the union lets them. shit!I'll shut up now.

BigClive
06-26-2006, 11:38 PM
I'm afraid that when it comes to the crunch, manslaughter charges have to be raised against the companies that are putting out inexperienced men into positions where they are dying. Unfortunately the government will side with the contractors because the "works got to be done". (And it's all about money.)

It would be interesting to see a fatality graph over time. I bet you'd see a dip in the last few years then the line would be steadily going up again.

I really think it's time every crew had one of the robust little heartstart type defibrillators. There's really no excuse not to have them. They are quite literally childs play to use. They appear to be pretty robust these days, so they should handle a bit of rough and tumble in the cab of a truck. That quick response to getting a stopped heart going again is priceless.

Could the defibrillator thing be raised as a union issue? Given the nature of the work these things should be an OSHA requirement.

lisa
07-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Does anyone have any details about the reported fatality of an Elliot employee in Virginia?

Elliot has been having an extraordinary number of accidents lately. Luckily most have been close calls but the company doesn't seem to be learning anything from the near-misses. Davis H Elliot in Tulsa ran off their safety and training guy last year because he wanted to shut down some crews in order to put them through badly needed safety classes. This is one of the very worst companies to work for. I'd recommend staying clear of Elliot.

The fatality in VA, happened to be the father of my 3 children. We have yet to hear anything on what actually caused the accident. Seems just a very BAD accident. I hope that the Elliott Company remembers the children that were left behind. They can never replace their father for them but he lived for the Elliott Company. He was very much involved in his job and very proud to be a lineman. Very dedicated and will be missed very much!!!

BigClive
07-04-2006, 05:38 AM
I really hope they do look after you and your kids Lisa.

Hope you all manage to come through this rough part of your life OK.

Wye-Delta
07-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Dear Lisa,
Thank you for posting...
My thoughts and prayers to you and your children ...
Elliot needs to be accountable and do the 'right thing' for this tragedy and responsibility for their record....

Lnemn's Mom
07-05-2006, 12:29 AM
The fatality in VA, happened to be the father of my 3 children. We have yet to hear anything on what actually caused the accident. Seems just a very BAD accident. I hope that the Elliott Company remembers the children that were left behind. They can never replace their father for them but he lived for the Elliott Company. He was very much involved in his job and very proud to be a lineman. Very dedicated and will be missed very much!!!

Lisa, my prayers are with you and your children. Just over a year ago (June 29th), my middle son, who worked with Pike, lost his life. No explanations have been forthcoming. Hope Davis H. Elliot is better at providing information.

lisa
07-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss......It is very frustrating, because I cannot get any anwers from Elliot. They keep telling me that it is under investigation. So sick of hearing that. It has been a month now, they should have at least an idea of what happened. I just hear from the other crew members, but they said it happened so fast that they are not able to tell us what exactly happened. I will post an update as soon as I hear something.....OSHA is looking into it all.

lisa
07-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. I have to hold it all together for the kids. Some tough days. Tomorrow it will be one month since his death, and we have yet to hear anything from OSHA's report.

Lnemn's Mom
07-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Lisa, I will keep you in my prayers. If you need to talk, please pm me your number or you can call me, any time, day or night. I'll send you my number. Take care.
Patty

knothopper
07-06-2006, 03:25 AM
god bless you and your kids . I worked for davis h for 2 years and left to go to a safer contracter.my prayers are with you and your family.if I can help in any way contact me.

thrasher
07-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Lisa, firstly you and your family are in our prayers. Our safety man had some info on the accident but emphasized there are several questions that no one seems to be able to answer.
The job involved setting new taller poles and pulling in new larger conductor. At a midpoint in the job they had terminated the new wire made it hot and transferred the services up there to the new wire. Then they deenergized and grounded the old wire. A jumper was cut on the old line and they were going to pickup the remainder of the original line with a temporary jumper. This is where details get vague. For some reason the lineman hooked the temp jumper to the hot line first. Then swung the bucket with the hot end of the jumper either on the lip of the bucket or actually in the bucket toward the dead line he was going to pickup. While moving, the back of his shoulder, above the top of his sleeves, contacted the old grounded wire and at the same time the energized jumper contacted his leg. No one knows why the jumper was in the bucket, also no one knows why the jumper was hooked to the energized end first. Apparently at the time of contact the ground personnel were getting materials ready for the next stage of work and no one actually saw the accident.

Koga
07-07-2006, 08:18 PM
But Ive changed my mind, My condolences to you and your family.

Koga

US & CA Tramp
07-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Lisa,
I am saying this from experience. Do Not trust the company or what OSHA's findings are. There was only one person at OSHA that understood this industry and all of their rules, and he worked nationwide until recently when he retired. Call Rusty White at SAC and get an attorney!! The Elliot people are already saying that this man killed himself! and that is BS!!
Good Luck

linewife
07-10-2006, 10:12 AM
You Can Lead A Horse To Water, But You Can't Make Him Drink...
My Husband Has Been A Lineman For 28+ Years And Has Worked For Davis H Elliot For The Past Seven. After Working For Several Large Contractors, We Both Feel That Dhe Is By Far The Safest Company He Has Worked For. Safety Is Stressed In All Aspects Of The Working Enviroment. And Serious Reprimands Are Issued If These Rules Are Not Followed. Unfortunately, Some Choose To Take Short Cuts And Think They Can Get Away With Them, Only The Be Seriously Injured Or Killed. The Company Can Only Do So Much. It Is The Responsibility Of Each Worker To Protect Himself By Following All The Rules, Not Just The Ones That Suit Him/her.

Trampbag
07-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Well actually, linewife, that is not true.

The company has the responsibility to ensure that the worker is trained to a particular aspect of the work (such as wearing personal safety equipment – hard hats, fall arrest, rubber gloves and sticks, etc.), ensure that the workers understands the training and applies it in his/her work. The company must follow up deviations to that training with additional training, enforced with punitive action (punishment) for workers who persistently violate safety policy of the company. That punishment can and must include termination if the worker continues to ignore safety training.

This is called Due Diligence.

Unfortunately, most utilities and contractors who work for them pay very little attention to Due Diligence. Most contractors think training is someone else’s responsibility. I’ve even heard contractor supervision, management and executive management say that a lineman is responsible for his own training. This was a well known international contractor working though out the US, also notorious for their poor safety record – go figure. Mind you, very few line contractors actually have a stellar safety record. This can be attested to on this site, that’s for sure.

And so, linewife ( if you really are what you claim to be), you are wrong in your statement. Also, considering what this thread is about, and considering the lineman’s family and others who have lost their husbands, fathers, sons, brothers and friends in this trade with Davis H Elliot and the other contractors and utilities your comments are crass, inconsiderate, and unbelievably stupid. It would be appreciated if you did not come back onto this thread again.

To Lisa and family, you have my deepest sympathy

duckhunter
07-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Tramp,
You are absolutely right about Due Diligence and the responsibilities of the employer. I know linemen that have worked for Elliott and for Henkel and McCoy. I know safety people from both of those contractors also, and I can tell you that they have some exellent safety people that are well trained and do give a damn. But, it seems to me that the only people on any lineworkers websites that are cut down more than safety people are scab lineworkers.

How many posts have you seen in the last 4 years of this website that complain about or condem the safety person. How many linemen have you heard say "he don't know shit, he was never a lineman" or if they were a lineman, " he only got the safety job because_____________." and you fill in the blank.

I work for a co-op that has only had 3 lost-time accidents in 15 years. Why that record? Because the linemen make the right choices and they are held accountable when we don't. Our policy here is if you have a near miss and report it so everyone can talk about it and learn, there is no reprimand; even if there is a safety violation. But linemen here make good choices and do not short cut.

As far as not trusting the company or OSHA findings after an accident as expressed by US & CA Tramp, why not trust them? Are you telling me the linemen involved won't be truthful? If the company is truly the problem, OSHA can do something about it. There are too many good places to work to MAKE THE CHOICE to work at an unsafe company.

IT IS YOUR CHOICE!

Trampbag
07-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Well, duck hunter, I have been a Journeyman Lineman for about 30 years now, meaning I have been in this trade for more than 35 years. I am second generation linetrade. As my name suggests, I have been around this old earth doing electrical work and basically go from boom to boom, meaning the work is intense most places I go, although I have spent time working for a number of utilities, both large and small, a little more than ½ my time has been spent with contractors. I hold several certificates in safety and have been a safety consultant. I have investigated a lot of “accidents” for various reasons.

I can tell you, without any doubt in my mind, that this trade, the utility line trade, is somewhat unique in industry. The various OSHA’s, State, Federal, Provincial, etc, do not, repeat not, have linemen on staff. They view the big utilities and the IBEW as the experts in the industry and allow them to investigate themselves when an accident happens. Very shortly after a serious accident, especially where a fatality is involved, information is withheld and a cover up starts, always. OSHA sees smoke and mirrors. The bigger the utility involved means the bigger the union, and the union often represents workers from both the utility and the contractors on the utility site. What a perfect combination for misinformation.

(You work for a reasonably small utility and so you’re in a different category. Utilities with fewer than 100 employees do not have the same political power as the super size utilities.)

Most large utilities have budgets bigger than many small countries and have huge political power. Just think of the ENRON mess and you get an idea of how big it gets. ENRON is still there but only a portion of what it once was, but there is still Duke Energy and Sempra (who owns SDG&E) to name a couple of players. Also all the Edison utilities across the US, PG&E are huge. The in Canada there is Ontario Hydro, Quebec Hydro and BC Hydro, all huge and all government owned.

In the contractor category there is only really a few main groups. You mentioned Henkels and McCoy, a huge independent contractor, then there is the MYRE Group, and Quanta Services both owning a myriad of contractors across the US and in Canada and all of these are wealthy enough to be their own country as well and all are international and all sign partnership agreements with the super size utilities.

Here is an article that appeared a few years ago about the super contractors that will give you some idea of their size and “muscle”.

http://tdworld.com/mag/power_emerging_super_contractors/index.html

Here is an article written by a Peter Gorman of Fort Worth, TX called

Wired for Tragedy
Short-outs on training save electric companies money, but may cost workers their lives.
http://www.fwweekly.com/content.asp?article=3528

Yes, duck hunter, there is really no good reason to trust the companies when it comes to giving a truthful account of a fatal accident. There is no reason to believe anything OSHA concludes, because it reflects what the companies want reflected. If you read my comments on the first page of this thread you will see that my message is the same as the one here.

Also, the attitude in this trade is abysmal. The first thing many hands do when one of our own dies is lay the blame squarely on the brother. What bull shit!

And, duck hunter, not everyone has the ability to move. And why should they have to.

A safe job is every ones right.

edski104
07-12-2006, 06:56 PM
your right, tramp,the world is getting smaller and smaller.i've got a few under the belt and have seen it go to the big fish taking over entire regions of the country. hell,quanta has got most of the country covered.but as they grow their focus one safety ,while talked about alot at the top levels, is still bullshit.when bush signed the bill repealing the hours we could drive,who was that supposed to help? we still get told to work 24 hour shifts on storms because its of an "emergency nature". we mostly just tell them to blow it out their ass. we're goin' home. but when will this shit stop,kids aren't supposed to keep fu**ing up after they work for a while. scares the shit out of me. and now we're number 8 on the most dangerous jobs list. holy shit. just keep hitting the door,i guess,till they open the damn thing. stay safe everyone.

LinemansGF
07-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Lisa - my condolences go out to you and your family on the loss of your husband. My boyfriend, Victor Morris, was the other Elliot employee killed on June 13 in Ohio. Vic left behind a 2 and 3 year old daughter, and my 5 year old son. Like you, we still have no answers from Elliot or OSHA about what happened, how, or why. We are currently dealing with both of these companies, so if you ever need anything or just to talk feel free to email me. Also, thanks to you wonderful people that write and read these forums I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers, and advice on where to get information on Elliot.

Thanks so much,
Jennifer

lisa
07-15-2006, 10:47 PM
My ex husband, Marshall Dean Tomlin, worked for them for about 18 years and he thought they were safe also....That is all I will say for your immature comment. Thanks for putting this so that my children can read it. You are very inconciderate and I hope your husband stays safe and you never have to go through what we are going through now.

You Can Lead A Horse To Water, But You Can't Make Him Drink...
My Husband Has Been A Lineman For 28+ Years And Has Worked For Davis H Elliot For The Past Seven. After Working For Several Large Contractors, We Both Feel That Dhe Is By Far The Safest Company He Has Worked For. Safety Is Stressed In All Aspects Of The Working Enviroment. And Serious Reprimands Are Issued If These Rules Are Not Followed. Unfortunately, Some Choose To Take Short Cuts And Think They Can Get Away With Them, Only The Be Seriously Injured Or Killed. The Company Can Only Do So Much. It Is The Responsibility Of Each Worker To Protect Himself By Following All The Rules, Not Just The Ones That Suit Him/her.

lisa
07-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Who is Rusty White, and how can I contact him? I was told by the crew that Dean was having to do his work from the opposite side of where he should have been because there was a home near the lines. I dont know much about line work, but I do know that there was not another bucket up with him to help him, with being on the wrong side. Anything that anybody comes up with OSHA etc. is pure speculation. Nobody can say what actually happened because only Dean was up there. The hot wire that was in the bucket with him was terminated incorrectly and may have fallen into the bucket, not laid in the bucket, as some have come up with. I dont know what happened, or whether it was his fault or the comanies, but I do know that the kids are very much hurt with losing their father and nothing the company can do, could make that up to them. Their very last weekend with their father started off rocky, but ended up with a great fishing trip for all 3 kids. Our oldest hates fishing, but decided to go on this trip with her Dad and 2 brothers and loved it. Our oldest son caught is biggest catfish ever!! Our youngest son caught his first catfish!! They had the time of their life!! God has his way of showing love for these children and let them have the best weekend possible with their father before his final taking. God bless all the linemen.......

Lisa,
I am saying this from experience. Do Not trust the company or what OSHA's findings are. There was only one person at OSHA that understood this industry and all of their rules, and he worked nationwide until recently when he retired. Call Rusty White at SAC and get an attorney!! The Elliot people are already saying that this man killed himself! and that is BS!!
Good Luck

lisa
07-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Thank you for your sympathy. Did anyone mention that he had to work the line form the opposite side of where he should have been because there was a home near the lines? I was told this, do not know if it would have made a difference or not, but......The story you gave me was also what I had heard but that was all....Nobody from Elliot will talk to us. The children have never even received a "I'm sorry about your loss..." or anything.....I hate the fact that he worked so hard for a company that will not even take the time to say they are sorry.....

Lisa, firstly you and your family are in our prayers. Our safety man had some info on the accident but emphasized there are several questions that no one seems to be able to answer.
The job involved setting new taller poles and pulling in new larger conductor. At a midpoint in the job they had terminated the new wire made it hot and transferred the services up there to the new wire. Then they deenergized and grounded the old wire. A jumper was cut on the old line and they were going to pickup the remainder of the original line with a temporary jumper. This is where details get vague. For some reason the lineman hooked the temp jumper to the hot line first. Then swung the bucket with the hot end of the jumper either on the lip of the bucket or actually in the bucket toward the dead line he was going to pickup. While moving, the back of his shoulder, above the top of his sleeves, contacted the old grounded wire and at the same time the energized jumper contacted his leg. No one knows why the jumper was in the bucket, also no one knows why the jumper was hooked to the energized end first. Apparently at the time of contact the ground personnel were getting materials ready for the next stage of work and no one actually saw the accident.

Lnemn's Mom
07-16-2006, 01:07 AM
Lisa, here is the contact info for Rusty. He will do everything he possibly can to help you get answers! He's been a lifesaver to me. Hope he can help with your unanswered questions and you to be treated fairly by Elliott. Good Luck!
S.A.C.
Rusty White
817-253-1358
rustywhite20@hotmail.com

lisa
07-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Thank you ever so much!! I will contact him first thing tomorrow..... :)

Lisa, here is the contact info for Rusty. He will do everything he possibly can to help you get answers! He's been a lifesaver to me. Hope he can help with your unanswered questions and you to be treated fairly by Elliott. Good Luck!
S.A.C.
Rusty White
817-253-1358
rustywhite20@hotmail.com

Lnemn's Mom
07-17-2006, 10:48 PM
I know that both of you have a lot of unaswered questions. Please don't take my comments as stepping in where I don't belong, but I do want to say a few words of advice for both of you. First, you need to get in touch with Rusty as soon as possible. Every moment you let pass, you are allowing the record to slip away. You both need to consult a good attorney who is skilled in this type of matter. There are a lot of excellent attorneys out there, and a few bad apples in the mix. Even being the best attorney, you are normally good in the field you practice on a regular basis. You definitely need someone, like the attorneys that Rusty has working with his group. Powerline accidents are all they deal in. Whether it be burns received from the job, or the unfortunate who have given their lives working to provide for their families. It does not make any difference whether the worker be union or non-union. He/she is a lineman (line person). They deserve to have the knowledge that should something happen to them, that their families will be taken care of, and unfortunately, when something tragic happens, the families are quickly forgotten, the "accident" is normally referred to as "employee error" and unless you have had someone out there gathering all the information that they can for you, you are likely fighting a losing battle. The attorneys that the contractors/power companies have are on a regular retainer, which means that most of them do nothing but this type of accidents, and they pull their research, use what is applicable to the particular incident and go full blown against the family of the worker. Most attorneys are not equipped to putting this much time, or money into a case, and you are left out in the cold. (I speak from experience, as I have worked in the legal field for over 30 years.) Not that the attorneys are bad, just that they don't have the financial backing that the ones on retainer do, and there is a limit to what they can spend out on your behalf. Please, for the children, go with someone who does this and this only. They know what they are looking for, and you can rest assured that the little ones left behind will be provided for.
Good luck to both of you. If you need to talk, I'm here. Anything at all I can do to help, I'm just a phone call away.
Patty

rusty
07-18-2006, 10:28 AM
To One and All,

It does my heart good to see so many people starting to stand up and address this issue! Patty you are an God sent for many of these new widows and they can depend on you, I know you didn't choose this and fate laid it in your lap. BUT THANKS FOR BEING THERE FOR THEM! I have found many new Brothers and Sisters sense starting S.A.C., and like my Brother who spoke about OSHA he is telling NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH! And it comes from YEARS of first hand experience!

Like ya'll have heard me say many times before, if these utilities can give their CEO's who are in NO DANGER at all, " MILLIONS " in bonuses while reaping RECORD PROFITS! They damn well can take care of our Brothers and his loved ones, PERIOD!!!! The shame of it all , IS THEY EVEN HAVE TO BE FORCED TO!!!! TXU gave there NEW CEO over 46 " MILLION " in a bonuses his first year! And it has been projected he will get over 100 " MILLION " again this year, while the company it's self made a RECORD of over 1.6 " BILLION this year!!!!

While I personally don't think ANYBODY is worth these kind of bonuses, more power to them if they can get it! " BUT " at the same times these utilities COULD " ALL " CHIP IN and take 10% of ALL THEIR BOUNUSES AND PROFITS and put it in to a fund. And " REGARDLESS " of the fault or blame, take care of the Brothers and their families! Those utilities and companies who contribute to the fund, would have their workers taken care of, ADMITTING NO GUILT. If these families were IMMEDIATLY TAKEN CARE OF the need for law suites would drop tremendously! While this would NOT excuse them from any accountability, It would show they care as much for those who put their lives on the line EVERY DAY YEAR AFTER YEAR, as they do those sitting behind a desk in no danger at all!! As long as the company or workers comp took care of the medical needs of those who lived, The gift from this fund would be a help beyond belief!!! I have spent many hour putting this plan together, AND WOULD BE WILLING TO EXPLAIN IT TO ANYBODY, as well as be the administrator of it. But greed and those lawyers who make a living off this atrocity, will fight it tooth and nail. Because the need for their services would drop tremendously!!!! I know most major players in this industry monitor this site, TELL YOUR PEOPLE ABOUT THIS IDEA AND CONTACT ME, show you REALLY care about those who put their lives on the line for you!!!!!

Together we can and " ARE " making a difference!!!

LinemansGF
07-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Patty,
I don't think your overstepping at all, I greatly appreciate all the help you have given. I will be contacting Rusty tomorrow and hopefully he will be able to help Vic's family and me in getting the answers we deserve. It's nice to be able to talk to people who know what your going through, and lineman that know about the job and can tell you things to look for. You guys/gals don't understand how much I appreciate everything you've done.

Jennifer

I know that both of you have a lot of unaswered questions. Please don't take my comments as stepping in where I don't belong, but I do want to say a few words of advice for both of you. First, you need to get in touch with Rusty as soon as possible. Every moment you let pass, you are allowing the record to slip away. You both need to consult a good attorney who is skilled in this type of matter. There are a lot of excellent attorneys out there, and a few bad apples in the mix. Even being the best attorney, you are normally good in the field you practice on a regular basis. You definitely need someone, like the attorneys that Rusty has working with his group. Powerline accidents are all they deal in. Whether it be burns received from the job, or the unfortunate who have given their lives working to provide for their families. It does not make any difference whether the worker be union or non-union. He/she is a lineman (line person). They deserve to have the knowledge that should something happen to them, that their families will be taken care of, and unfortunately, when something tragic happens, the families are quickly forgotten, the "accident" is normally referred to as "employee error" and unless you have had someone out there gathering all the information that they can for you, you are likely fighting a losing battle. The attorneys that the contractors/power companies have are on a regular retainer, which means that most of them do nothing but this type of accidents, and they pull their research, use what is applicable to the particular incident and go full blown against the family of the worker. Most attorneys are not equipped to putting this much time, or money into a case, and you are left out in the cold. (I speak from experience, as I have worked in the legal field for over 30 years.) Not that the attorneys are bad, just that they don't have the financial backing that the ones on retainer do, and there is a limit to what they can spend out on your behalf. Please, for the children, go with someone who does this and this only. They know what they are looking for, and you can rest assured that the little ones left behind will be provided for.
Good luck to both of you. If you need to talk, I'm here. Anything at all I can do to help, I'm just a phone call away.
Patty