PDA

View Full Version : Going HOT

Mike-E
06-26-2006, 06:22 PM
I got my fourth step app. card the other day. Today was my first day working in the primary zone. I'll tell you what, it was worth the wait. I was nervous, but I think I showed them what I got. I can't wait to try hot work out of my hooks!

Outlaw Lineman
06-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Hey brother, don't rush it. I made my apps. take the bucket for 6 months before I'd let them do any hot work (rubber gloves) from the hooks. You'll get your chance when your Journeyman feels you are ready. Hot work is great, just make sure your head is were it's suposed to be when you do it. A big mistake I've seen apps make in 4 KV is thinking "hell it's only 4". That shit is very dangerous. Most burn pictures are from laxed behavior in the 4KV. Just be careful and DON'T RUSH IT.

woody
07-03-2006, 09:32 PM
4kv...yup lots of amps...unforgiving. worked some 4kv outta the hooks and in the bucket....don't really matter except the guys in the bucket are sheilded somewhat. great times. good luck mike-e. just remember what the outlaw said.... and just one question. what step do they allow you to work in the primary where your at? You said your fourth step...how many hours? just curious. woody

tickle1st
07-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Hey kid.

Linemen is the best job in the world. I'm retired now after 30 some odd years workin primary. The young guys looked at me like I was a dinasaur before I pulled the pin. They could have learned a lot from a guy like me. But I didn't fit into the young way of doing things. But that's the times we live in. I'm sure the guys that taught me felt the same way.

I've seen a couple of guys burned over my years. Not very nice. I guess the longer you work primary the greater your chances of buying the big one. Law of averages?? The longer you drive a car the better your chances of having an accident?? I don't think you can avoid that accident if it's headed your way.....no matter what they try and tell you and how much they make tha accident your fault.

But if I can instill one idea in young lineman. Your 60' feet in the air all by yourself. You don't have anybody looking over your shoulder...at least not right beside you. Before you do anything...ask yourself this question. "What happens if I do this??" If you have the answer, go ahead and do it. If you don't have the answer...you'd better step back and find it what you need to answer the question.

I'm on the golf course 3 or 4 times a week now because I asked the "What happens if I do this" question to myself. Worked on every job I did for 30 some odd years.

Hope to tee a ball up with you in 30 years time or so.

hit em long and straight.

Mike-E
07-05-2006, 04:49 AM
Thanks for all of the advice guys. To answer a question, I had to have 3000 hours logged in my apprenticeship and my first year books and tests finished. Alot of unions in the American Line Builders District only make you wait until your 3rd. step/2000 hours. I am glad I had my extra time to grunt and do all the secondary cause I learned alot. Thanks again.

TRAMPLINEMAN
08-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey kid.

Linemen is the best job in the world. I'm retired now after 30 some odd years workin primary. The young guys looked at me like I was a dinasaur before I pulled the pin. They could have learned a lot from a guy like me. But I didn't fit into the young way of doing things. But that's the times we live in. I'm sure the guys that taught me felt the same way.

I've seen a couple of guys burned over my years. Not very nice. I guess the longer you work primary the greater your chances of buying the big one. Law of averages?? The longer you drive a car the better your chances of having an accident?? I don't think you can avoid that accident if it's headed your way.....no matter what they try and tell you and how much they make tha accident your fault.

But if I can instill one idea in young lineman. Your 60' feet in the air all by yourself. You don't have anybody looking over your shoulder...at least not right beside you. Before you do anything...ask yourself this question. "What happens if I do this??" If you have the answer, go ahead and do it. If you don't have the answer...you'd better step back and find it what you need to answer the question.

I'm on the golf course 3 or 4 times a week now because I asked the "What happens if I do this" question to myself. Worked on every job I did for 30 some odd years.

Hope to tee a ball up with you in 30 years time or so.

hit em long and straight.

Excellent post!!

KingRat
08-05-2006, 09:41 AM
nice job old sock