PDA

View Full Version : Help Finding Substation Apprenticeship?

danbutter
07-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Hello all.
I stumbled across this forum and thought maybe someone here could help me out.
I am looking for an apprenticeship in a substation related field. Substation electrician or relays or similar.

I have completed an A.A.S. Degree from the EPCE:
http://www.epceonline.org/associate_of_applied_science_degree.htm
and I did the substation specialization.

It also kinda runs in my blood as my father has been in the industry for 30+ years building subs and working in them.

My problem is that the "members" of the coalition have seemingly never heard of it and I can't find work using my degree.

So I am searching the internet for apprentice jobs and find very few of them out there.
When I do they are across the country and I think this may be the main reason why I never hear back from them.

It is not that I am not willing to relocate, as I am VERY willing to relocate for an apprenticeship. At fairly short notice at that since I know that if I can get in, that I can get my journey card and be set with a career for the rest of my life.

So... does anyone have any ideas on what I should do or who I should contact?

Thanks for any info you may be able to give.

Dan

dogleg
07-03-2006, 03:30 PM
I know that they have a substation tech apprenticeship at Selcat. It is a 7000 hour apprenticeship. Selcat covers Tn, Al, Ga, Miss, La, Fl, Ar and the Carolina's. Pretty easy to get in to the app. I had to spend a couple of months in one before they put me out on a line crew. I dont know if the other njatc's have a sub apprenticeship or not.

danbutter
07-03-2006, 04:14 PM
thanks very much for that info, I have requested an application already.

Dan

danbutter
07-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Anybody else have any ideas for me?

thanks

dungnfam
07-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Here at National Grid (in the northeast US) we have Relay Techinicians who work in the substations. You need to have at a minimum an Associates Degree. You don't need any experience, just a degree, to start out as an Associate Relay Tech. After a couple of years to move up to Relay Tech and then Senior Relay Tech and then Lead Tech. Starting pay for an Associate Relay Tech is $50,000/year.

danbutter
07-06-2006, 08:29 PM
sounds perfect for me, but I don't see anything listed on the website.
http://www.nationalgridus.com/aboutus/a3-4_job.asp

Nothing I could move across the country for anyway.

Thanks for the reply though!