PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice Openings

CATV Lineman
08-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Hey guys,
I'm sure everyone is a lineman wannabe. I've been doing CATV and Bell construction since I was 18. I'm 28 now and looking to relocate to New Hampshire. I've climbed just about every pole from highway crossings (2-4 hrs on each pole) to the nastiest easement. Does anyone know how I can get in with PSNH in New hampshire or Central Maine Power company. Having worked for Adelphia, Comcast, Cox Communications and mom and pop cable compainies I have go to guys for employment. Just hoping maybe someone can give me a contact at one of these companies.
Thanks for any input.

dungnfam
08-02-2006, 07:46 AM
The best way to get into the company is to go down there and ask them if they have any openings and take whatever is available. You'll get your foot in the door and then can apply for apprentice lineman when it's posted internally. This is the easiest way unless you know somebody already on the inside.

CATV Lineman
08-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah I was hoping to find somebody that knew sombody. I can't complain about my current job. I'm at 28 and change an hr...benefits are horrible. with a minor pension plan. Just looking to relocate. I've been offered stupid stuff like meter reading etc to get in, but I can't take a severe paycut maybe 7 dollars but they only start around 16 an hr. I've got a 4yr old and 1 on the way. So my wife is a stay at home mom which is fine with me!
Thanks again

dungnfam
08-02-2006, 02:55 PM
If you can wait until something opens up that you'd prefer over just getting into the company in any position then wait patiently because it will be a long wait. You're better off trying to get in as meter reader first because they promote from within and very rarely hire from the outside..

Bull Dog
08-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Best way to start is go to the ibew local that has jurisdiction in that area. They can help you get into a apprentiship and know all the jobs that have indentured training. This is the best way to go wether const. local or utility IBEW is the best way. We have several ex catv men in our local and all have been doing well. Your right the catv pay and bennies suck but union electrical work will serve you much better. Make a phone call or go to the hall its easy and im shure you will find friendly people wanting to help you. Good luck

edski104
08-02-2006, 06:25 PM
dog is right,the best thing is to call the union hall,local 104,IBEW,and talk to Gary Stacy, who is in charge of the new hampshire area for the local. the number should be in directory assistance,because last time i put a phone number on here,they knocked it off.if you can't find that,try walpole,mass. talk to tiler. they should be able to get you on the path you need to be on. it will be a hit, but when you top out,you'll be making a lot more + you can climb above that magic 19 foot mark,just kidding. good luck and stay safe. :D

electric squirrel
08-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Go to the nearest IBEW hall and ask for the # for the outside apprenticeship.
If you want it for California ,since the money is so good,90 thousand first step ape ,if your a worker! Its 951 685-8658 located in Sunny southern Califonia. IBEW , nuff' said ..... E.S.

flhdawg
08-03-2006, 08:28 AM
anyone know how long the wait is in 104 area for a apprentice....had the interview back in june and it went well was just wondering if anyone had a rough idea.....thanks for any info.

KingRat
08-03-2006, 09:09 PM
new hampshire electric co-op is looking 603-536-1800

flhdawg
08-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the tip king I'll check it out...be safe

Craiger1234
08-04-2006, 03:20 PM
i know as of last week central maine power had a few openings for apprentices and a few openings for 2/c. Good luck

electric squirrel
08-04-2006, 07:51 PM
City of Riverside, in California is looking for aps right now.E.S. :cool:

NJlineman55
08-04-2006, 09:36 PM
If they are part of NU, which I believe they are, they are on a hiring freeze. They downsized the managment and havent hired lineman since last year. Best thing for you to do is put in with the local, work for the contractors until they start hiring again. You never know you might like working for the contractors and stay with them. best of luck. :)

flhdawg
08-05-2006, 08:03 AM
all ready on the list for 104 just gettin a bit anxious waiting is all......was hoping there was a lot of work in the area so maybe the call would be sooner than later...will just have to keep holding and looking i guess.

edski104
08-05-2006, 04:57 PM
what happens after your interview is that you are given a score and placed in a list of apps. waiting to go to work. it sounds silly,sometimes it is, but we need people with a natural aptitude for this job. just becaue your cousin does it doesn't mean your cut out for it. the wait could be anywhere from a week to a few months depending on the jobs going on. sometimes there is a lot of work and the is never enough help to go around,then again,sometimes things slow down and you have to get laid of and sign the books and wait for the next job opening.contractor land is a wonderful place,but it's also a place where you should be ready to travel.a lot.ask the old-timers,we've been all over the country doing this shit.but it's a riot. have fun and ask questions.remember,the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. :D