PDA

View Full Version : Kent Electric Fatality

Ghostrider
08-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Our safety man told us Kent Electric had a fatality at a substation in michigan two weeks ago. he said they were backfeeding a circuit and it energized the bus. Does anyone know about this accident? He said the man was a Substation Tech and had been through an apprentiship of some sort. I have never heard of a substation apprenticship program. I worked for Kent when they were in Florida they seemed like a good company.

billfoster67
08-19-2006, 01:51 PM
I forgot the Superintendents name. But he handpicked his foreman- not by knowledge but for how job nervous they could be- and he had a big ass to kiss.

He lost a lot of money in Cleveland. So Harlan moved him to Columbus where he was acting ratty. He was telling Apprentices and Journeyman what to do, confronting them- past the foreman and GF. He was such a pain in the ass that they ran him out of OH. A real good yard one day became a soap opera as soon as he came to town.

Sure enough, After Harlan had enough. And Harlan and the MYR group being bought and sold three times in a year and half and having no credibility in OH. He moved to Kent. Every hand that I have met that has worked for Kent, had issues with the way he did things. And the number one issue was him.

So I am not surprised if there was an accident.

If any many man goes to Detroit, you have to relearn linework again. Its a loop fed system. The only way to isolate a can is open the primary and secondary. The system is to keep customers hot, not to keep lineman safe. A lineman has to go to that city with their head cut in every second of ever minute of the day. A single phase REA lineman- has another apprenticeship to go through when you go there.

Keep cut in. be safe if you go there. You can have a three phase bank on three seperate pole on three seperate blocks. The system is different, you have to look upstream and downstream at structures to get a handle on it. And you tailboard hard- so everyone is on the same page!!!! Its a place where you have to tailboard hard, everybody has to be on the same sheet of music.

jakeonfire
08-19-2006, 03:09 PM
The utility I work for (Consumers Energy) has an apprentice program for substation folks and I believe the program is for 4 years. Not sure of the details as I am from lineman background and not substation. We just started our program in the last few years but the guys seem to like the knowledge they get there instead of the old OJT only.

duckhunter
08-28-2006, 02:15 PM
The lineman was working building a new substation for a cooperative. He was nt in Detroit, contrary to popular belief there is much more to Michigan than Detroit. The lineman was adjusting some lights aimed at the tool trailer. I know more but wont say more at this time.

Ghostrider
08-29-2006, 08:30 PM
It is a shame that you are unwilling to share what you know. I can only hope that no else gets hurt because they make the same mistake. We hear lots of rumors but the truth is hard to find.

Most of the postings I have read speak of the companies covering up accidents.

topgroove
08-29-2006, 08:58 PM
It is a shame that you are unwilling to share what you know. I can only hope that no else gets hurt because they make the same mistake. We hear lots of rumors but the truth is hard to find.

Most of the postings I have read speak of the companies covering up accidents. I'm sure most of the people who witness something like this are extreamly distraught and once the investigation starts are warned not to say anything.

duckhunter
08-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Actually, I'm not saying more BECAUSE of the way i see people react on this web site.

rusty
09-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Our prayers are with them all.

Keeping info from coming to light is a standard operating procedure these days. We all know the reasons why, BUT that doesn't help the families seeking answers! When we can we all need to post what we know, in the hopes of not having another Brother make the same mistake!

Buckeye Hand
09-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Was that super for Harlan In Ohio George Johnson by chance?

Mike-E
09-14-2006, 10:48 PM
ghostrider and duckhunter were both right. it was in south west michigan near indiana, cassopolis is the nearest city. and yes, albat does offer a substation apprenticeship through the ibew.