PDA

View Full Version : - - = Where To Start??? = - -

danbeaulieu
08-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Greetings,

My name is Dan Beaulieu and I am interested in becoming a lineman. My girlfriends father is a Journeyman Lineman and is encouraging me to pursue, he has given me the local union hall phone number to call but I want to understand what I am getting myself into. I have become increasingly more interested in the idea of joining a union, and now I'm trying to do a little online research... but I don't know where to start! Any information would be greatly appreciated... a website address, phone numbers, prerequisites or anything else you can think of. I am willing to invest time, effort and money, I just need help to get the ball rolling.

Thanks Guys,

Dan Beaulieu 21,
Madison / Lake Geneva WI

Handy man
08-20-2006, 04:34 PM
If you are interested in the trade but you are not sure what you are going to get into, talk to the union hall about getting out as a groundman for a while to get exposed to what the trade is all about. It is a good way to see if you like it before you have to shell out $ for a set of belt and hooks. If l you ask me everyone should have to do 6 mo. as a grunt before getting in the apprenticeship.

Bull Dog
08-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Go to Madison and see business agent at local 2304 madison gas & electric or alliant energys agent local 965. The hall is on park st in Madison and the phone numbers are (608) 256-8896 & 259-2400 They will help you Good luck.

danbeaulieu
08-21-2006, 07:09 PM
If l you ask me everyone should have to do 6 mo. as a grunt before getting in the apprenticeship.

I called Local Union Hall 2150 today and they are sending me an application and information to get started. I agree with you about the 6 months of grunt work thing, I look forward to it. My friend who is a Journeyman Lineman suggested that route to me as well... he also said that the more experienced lineman would be more than happy to show me the ropes anyway.

Thanks for your response!

Dan Beaulieu

danbeaulieu
08-21-2006, 07:13 PM
The hall is on park st in Madison... They will help you Good luck.

Hey thanks for the info Bull Dog, you sound like you are from Madison as well.

I am back and forth between Lake Geneva and Madison... Right now I am living in Lake Geneva so I took my friends advice and called Local Union Hall 2150.

Thanks for your help!
Dan Beaulieu

Randy11023
08-23-2006, 11:35 AM
I am kinda in the same picture. Trying to find out were to start in the Field of work. As it looks like I need to get a hold of the IBEW union. The main reason i looking to get in to it it looks like a challenge. I work at my job for 1 1/2 years and and it just the same thing every day ( making siding). I been going to school for Motorcycle tech and passed. but mainly just to do on the side. I was told by a worker at work find a job you can trust and enjoy and do it while your young (21).

Thanks
Randy

danbeaulieu
08-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Hey Randy,

I called the Union Hall and they had shipped me my application, brochure and additional information I requested in less than 24 hours... the information received is everything I need to know to get started.

Good Luck,
Dan