PDA

View Full Version : Gear

ibew17hopeful
09-14-2006, 05:58 PM
I will try to make this short. I have been a line cleareance tree trimmer for 13 years working as an ibew local 17 member, thats Detroit, Mi area. Working with many lineman on the job and on stormwork I got tired of them telling me to get my butt into the apprenticeship program for lineman. It took me nearly 5 years of applying for ALBAT, and was finally accepted this week. I will be starting class on Oct 2. I have Bashlin aluminum hooks with the molded wrap pads, and I have a few buddies hooking me up with some basic hand tools. What I am needing is a belt. My understanding is I should be looking for a belt with padding, and a floating, or sliding D. I don't really have a problem shelling out the $'s for a new belt, I just need some advice as to which one to get. Any help?

Alberta Apprentice
09-14-2006, 08:07 PM
I have used a few different belts so far and this is my take on things. I have a Klein backsaver that I inhereted from my dad and I really like the support. I dont think that Klein makes the backsaver anymore but the buckingham is pretty well the same. i also have a Klein 5249N Full Float and It is pretty good to climb in as well. for me the full float is a must. most of the guys i work with use the buckingham and I've never heard them complain.

ibew17hopeful
09-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks Alberta. I have been doing alot of online research and I have even seen a few on ebay that I have been tempted by. I need to get something soon, time is running short. Any advice from any albat graduates?

Mike-E
09-14-2006, 10:43 PM
I went through albat last july. I had my own gear(buckingham, and I like it alot) but they have gear for you to use there if you need it. It is old gear, but it works and it is broke in.

BigClive
09-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks Alberta. I have been doing alot of online research and I have even seen a few on ebay that I have been tempted by. I need to get something soon, time is running short. Any advice from any albat graduates?

Have you checked out the manufacturers websites and used their guides to measure up your correct "D" size based on providing the maximum support in comfort? A good idea before bidding on ebay items.

If you really intend to make a career of this then it might be a good investment to get a decent new belt in the first place. The top of the range models have a strap that rides inside the belt to give much better movement when reaching for awkward positions. That could ultimately make life a lot easier in the future.

Just some thoughts.

matt 1245
09-15-2006, 12:41 AM
I Would Recommend A Miller I Like It Alot

42linehand
09-15-2006, 04:25 AM
I agree the miller baksaver is the best belt out their. Whether its for climbing poles or for climbing lattice it is the most comfortable. I like to leave it allittle loose on the bottom strap so that way you can sit in it while working. This as well as the buckingham velcro pads have been great investments for me.

ibew17hopeful
09-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the input. I will let you guys know what I come up with.

ibew17hopeful
09-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Would there be any interest in a "classified ad" section here in PL? Moderators?

ibew17hopeful
10-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Well my buddy hooked me up with everything I needed and more. Wound up with a buckingham belt and a gut strap. I made it thru albat with high marks and I am now working on a crew. I have alot to learn but so far I am liking it. My foreman seems like a willing teacher and so does the j-man on the crew.