PDA

View Full Version : substation mess

edski104
10-18-2006, 09:03 PM
well,it happened here in fla. an app.electrician working in a substation got across the buswork and the struture of the sub while doing some maintainance and got burnt really bad. he'll loose one arm,probably the other hand, and who knows what else. facts are still out,but when they come in,they will be told.oh yea,OHSA is on the case,which helps me out alot,as i know that any fine leveled against the company just has to be appealed and OHSA will drop it down to a more agreeable amount. stay tuned. :mad:

thrasher
10-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Tramp:
Nowadays the title a man has often has little or nothing to do with thier actual work. I have heard linemen called "Line technicians" and "Lineworkers" and several other polictically correct terms. At my company the Apparatus people (who have to be journeymen linemen to transfer in) after they complete a two year apprentice program are called "Meter and Apparatus Technician". Many companies call the Apparatus people electricians because they frequently work on low voltage control systems. Unfortunately the confusion of titles means that when you hire someone off the street you are not really sure of their background.

loodvig
10-19-2006, 08:35 AM
What voltage did this poor fuker get into?

HIVOLTS
10-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Can you tell us where and what company?

edski104
10-19-2006, 12:19 PM
the apprentice got into 7200 volts at a substation for progress energy in st.peterburg,fla. as far as i know and have heard,he was up in the air without any FR clothing on,no gloves,and was only doing substation work for about 6 months. but he was stepped up due to lack of manpower,we've all seen that one, and was spraying a switch with lube when it happened. why is yet to be determined. :mad:

lineman barn
10-20-2006, 06:34 AM
Have heard the same story but no updates on his condition. Apparently he started out in the line department then moved over to substation...was in a bucket and sprayed the lubricant and it arced back to him...... It's really sad. I believe he is about 33 and has some kids but dont' know him personally...just some guys who do.

This is the 2nd MAJOR accident PE has had in substation in the last few years.....

PK270
10-23-2006, 02:39 PM
You hear too often about someone being bumped up due to lack of manpower. This is only going to get worse by the lack of apprentice training and the "ole timers" moving on.

There is all too much talk about what I get verses what you get. What fukin difference does it make if your dead. All the benes in the world dont matter if you cant be here to enjoy them. Strengthening the safety of our business is imperative.

I dont think I will be getting off of this issue too sone. I have been hunting with an old buddy who has lost his arms. It is tough spending time with him knowing he has to be satisfied watching instead of doing.

edski104
10-23-2006, 11:15 PM
your right,guys have said it on here for years, and i've been saying it for years,dont top 'em out if they're not ready. sure as shit don't step them up from a groundman to a hot ape when they don't have the time,but what does 27 years tell them. shut up-we know what we're doing!this man is lucky he's not dead,i pray for his family that he'll recover enough to be whole.but the co. will just say that it was his fault for not following safety rules.understafing is what puts everyone into this situation,but the big boys could give a shit,just answer your phone.hopefully someone will learn SOMETHING out of this,but i personaly haven't heard a thing because it's still under investgation. :mad:

BigClive
10-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Some questions based on the suggestion that a sprayed lubricant flashed back.

Was the lubricant designed to be sprayed onto live equipment?

If it was, could a batch have been tainted with something conductive?

Could the spraying equipment have experienced enough ingress of water to the nozzle to make a burst of conductive spray before the oil was sprayed.

edski104
10-26-2006, 09:02 PM
found out today that the man did lose an arm. he was working outside his clearance in the sub and the spray was conductive. how sad that something like this will affect him and everyone who knows or anyone who ever comes in contact with him for the rest of his life for doing something he was told to do but had no real knowledge of. these things happen all the time and apprentices never understand why we tell them not to do something until it's too late. or in this case,he was told to do something and did it,never asking why.to all you apps. ask questions!!! it could literally save your life. :(

BigClive
10-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Tell me about it! In my young apprentice years (17?) I distinctly remember tightening the hardware on an HT capacitor bank in the Ravenscraig Steelworks with the distinct impression that the only reason I was doing it was because the other guys were too scared to touch it and an apprentice wouldn't know any better. :confused: