PDA

View Full Version : Lineman Fatality, So.Cal. (David Jenkins-R.I.P)

Spaniard
12-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey Men,
For those of you that may not know, last night (12/6) a young Contractor Lineman was killed by a pole that was struck by a third party.

Actually there were two fatalities, the Lineman and the Driver and a passanger is in critical condition.

Mr. Jenkins leaves behind a wife and a 5 year old son as I was told. I hear he just topped out about 6 months ago and recently bought a house as well. Like many accidents in this trade, this is another one that did not have to happen, but it did.

I am linking the story from the Daily Bulletin in Upland, Ca. that ran this morning. Very sad indeed, they always are. Be safe out there and keep the families in your thoughts and prayers.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/search/ci_4792755

Regards, Spaniard.

electric squirrel
12-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Dave was a good guy! He was a hard worker and always willing to help a buddy out.He came to Calif. to be a lineman like his granddad,Dave already had completed the Ironworkers apprenticeship out in Las Vegas and moved to So Cal with his wife Carrie and young son, to tackle the linemans program.He had topped out about six months ago ,and was working for Pouk and Stienle when he was killed.Long story short,,, Dave was on the end of a 70 foot transmission pole that was being moved by the line truck, around 10 pm , a car driven by an 86 yr old man and his wife collided with the butt of the pole , causing the pole to strike Dave and go thru the windshield of the car.The driver of the car was killed on the spot, his wife hurt seriously,Dave apperently died on the way to the hospital.I have heard that there was no traffic control or lightboards or anything of that type to protect Dave or the rest of the crew.I spoke to his wife today and she is in bad shape as can be expected,she was trying to get him released to take him back home to Pahrump where they are from.I worked with Dave when we both just got into the trade,we climbed alot of hills packing material in the mountians and spent a few cold nites up a pole on a snow storm.If I find out anymore I will post it so the rest of you will know as much I do.

"May your hooks be sharp and the poles soft on that big job in the sky''
I'll miss you bud! Take care , rest in peace, your pal always .........Squirrel

Orgnizdlbr
12-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Condolences to his family and friends and prayers for a fallen brother.

NJlineman55
12-08-2006, 08:02 AM
First and foremost my condolenses to the family and friends. It seems these fatalities are becoming more and more frequent. Im curious to hear whether they had police or flaggers helping them bring the pole around the road. Sometimes we take for granted what we take as being the "easy tasks" like setting poles but we really need to stay focused at all times on working safe.

electric squirrel
12-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Services for Dave will be held on Dec. 15 th in the town of Pahrump , Nevada.He and his wife are from there and thats where the rest of the family is.If anything happens in SoCal ,I will post , I'am in contact with the family.E.S.

lineman barn
12-08-2006, 08:52 PM
My deepest sympathy to his wife and son. Please keep us posted on how they are coping and if there are any needs they may have.

rusty
12-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Our prayers are with all!!! Brothers and Sisters this month is starting out really bad, please be EXTRA careful!!!