PDA

View Full Version : New Lineman

Bankroll
12-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Hello everyone, I have been seriously considering going to lineman school, I was actually going to be in lineman school at NECC in Nebraska but I didnt make the wait list for this year so I'm set to go next year. I have been thinking alot about the job and just wondering if most of you are happy with your job and what you do? Also I dont want to sound rude asking but have been also wondering what salary range I should expect. Does anyone here know anything about the program there and is it difficult to find jobs in this field fresh out of school?
thanks in advance.

Electriceel
12-08-2006, 12:16 AM
Program in Norfolk is a good one, but I still like the one at NWICC in Sheldon, Iowa.
They have an excellent program if you are willing to apply yourself. Job placement is almost always 100%.
Salary range varies depending on the type of utility or contractor you get on with.
Yes, I am happy with my job, started out as a groundman and have worked up to a Jouneyman.
Contractors $50-60,000
Municipals $40-a high of 60,000
Coops $50-60,000
Investor Owned $60-70,000
Starting out wages take 30% off of these.

These are an estimate of journeyman wages, with overtime which varies.
Words of advice, pay attention to us old timers, you will see us do things a different way that any college will teach you. Sometimes the old school is not all that bad, lot easier to make your tools and groundman work for you.

Ok, young bucks go ahead and tear this apart.

42linehand
12-08-2006, 08:53 AM
If I were you I would apply to a NJATC Program. Why pay to go to school when you can be an Apprentice and get paid for learning in the field. Learning in a classroom or on something dead is alot different than learning while you are out their in your hooks. Obviously the pay must be a factor with the name Bankroll. I will tell you that everyone up hear in the northeast is making around 80,000 a year. But we work hard for our money. Cold nights, wet nights time away from the family hours on end without sleeping. It is def. not for everyone and if you do come in dont come in and expect to know everything in a day.

Bankroll
12-08-2006, 04:16 PM
I am not lazy by any means, I am a very dependable hard worker. One thing is that I hate the cold though so I would move south for work. I just figured it would be easier to get a job if I went to school for it, would it make a difference in pay?

old lineman
12-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Program in Norfolk is a good one, but I still like the one at NWICC in Sheldon, Iowa.
They have an excellent program if you are willing to apply yourself. Job placement is almost always 100%.
Salary range varies depending on the type of utility or contractor you get on with.
Yes, I am happy with my job, started out as a groundman and have worked up to a Jouneyman.
Contractors $50-60,000
Municipals $40-a high of 60,000
Coops $50-60,000
Investor Owned $60-70,000
Starting out wages take 30% off of these.

These are an estimate of journeyman wages, with overtime which varies.
Words of advice, pay attention to us old timers, you will see us do things a different way that any college will teach you. Sometimes the old school is not all that bad, lot easier to make your tools and groundman work for you.

Ok, young bucks go ahead and tear this apart.

I'm no young buck and I won't tear you apart but I don't believe money should be the primary reason to attract potential linemen.
My believe some of the most rewarding things that come from the trade are; working as a team to accomplish the nearly impossible, physically building an essential service, teaching and mentoring new comers, restoring power when disaster strikes, problem solving something new almost every day and of course the money which won't make you rich but will generate enough so that you can be comfortable and hopefully salt enough away for a retirement.
Be safe and analyze your every move.
Never, never ASSUME.------------ That makes an ASS of YOU and ME!
The Old Lineman

Bankroll
12-09-2006, 09:35 PM
I am already attracted to the job, I am just wanting to make sure that having this for a career will allow me to live the way I want to live. Is it better to go to school to be a line man or to just work your way up from the bottom.

Orgnizdlbr
12-09-2006, 10:10 PM
I am already attracted to the job, I am just wanting to make sure that having this for a career will allow me to live the way I want to live. Is it better to go to school to be a line man or to just work your way up from the bottom.

No matter what school you attend, or what apprentiship you serve, you will start at the BOTTOM and work your way up.

Someone else here refered to the NJATC. Go to an IBEW local and inquire. Get paid for serving your apprentiship, BTW the training you will receive through the IBEW is head and shoulders above any school out there.

Bankroll
12-09-2006, 11:10 PM
If either way I am going to start at the bottom what is the point of going to school?

billg
12-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Exactly ! Contact your local IBEW hall, and inquire about the apprentice program.

electric squirrel
12-10-2006, 11:57 AM
You can go to work and learn to be a lineman ,,,,,
Or you can go to work & school and learn to be a lineman who knows what the hell he's doing! E.S.:cool:

old lineman
12-10-2006, 02:11 PM
If either way I am going to start at the bottom what is the point of going to school?

What's the diff? Pepsi or Coke?

The difference is that when taught formally you'll learn theory. In other words you'll be taught how it works.
Often (depending on your 'on the job' mentoring lineman you could be taught) never mind how it works just do it this way.
Haven't you ever heard of a father teaching his kid how to drive. When you get to a stop sign, just make sure no is coming and slide on through.
Amost every lineman has a bad habit or more and all of them know how to take short cuts. They may get away with it because of their of experience but you don't have that and may get burned. Literally.
Think about an auto technician. In days gone by you could learn to repair a car under an old shade tree watching an elder. Not today, it's beyond their capability.
Get the basics and you'll be a lot better for it.
The Old Lineman

Genoin NW
12-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Go get em kid! I've been in the trade for the past 30 years and have loved every minute of it. Be prepared to work very long hours, work in shitty conditions, work with real assholes, and take crap from everyone. If you can handle that.... you will be successful and rewarded. I have been responsible for getting kids like you into the trade and watched them spread thier wings and mentor others. If you do get into this trade, everything else will be second to this career. You HAVE to be on your game here, focused, and tuned in. Good luck! Remember.... give back to the trade and teach when you make it.

2ndGenHopeful
12-11-2006, 11:25 AM
I am new to this forum and hopefully a newbie apprentice soon. I have been reading through this forum for a few weeks now whenever I get the chance. You will see there are strong feelings about school vs. JATC vs. signing the books. My Dad was a lineman for 20+ years and still works in the industry. He has worked for contractors and utilities, union and non-union shops, and it all started with Mo Valley JATC. He says the same as most of the guys on this post - go balls to the wall, work smart, work hard, and you will be rewarded (eventually). Good Luck.

Thanks to all you old timers in the field helping us young bucks get started. :cool: