PDA

View Full Version : Why is this job so demanding, but so hard to get?

Sparks33183
12-14-2006, 07:02 PM
HELP!!!!!PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Ok guys, im going to try this, its my last and final shot. Let me explain my situation to ya...Im 23 years old, and for the past year to two years i have been thinking about becoming a lineman, i read and read and talked to anyone and everyone that knew the trade. Finally i was able to get the website for the union (NEAT) filled out the paper work, took that FU**** hard test, and passed (wahoo)..Now here comes my problem, becuase Im young with zero experiece (although i work for an electrction) and do not know any fat cats in the union, im just shoved on the waiting list, and forgot about. I want to be a lineman very bad, and it sucks alot that not knowing anyone makes it worse, I was thinking about going down to the SLTC in Georgia maybe hoping it would up my chances of getting called in. If anyone has any good advice or maybe could help me out, please get back to me, my personal email is Jtamasco83@yahoo.com or just email me on here...please help!!!!

Mike-E
12-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Go to your local hall and sign the books as a groundman(the pay is similar to what a first year apprentice makes and the experience of being on a crew helps too). Also get a CDL probably class A with air brakes and a trailer endorsement. Til then, bide your time learning how to tie knots and read the posts in the "Linework" section of this forum because these guys are all pretty smart and you can learn a lot from reading.

Bull Dog
12-14-2006, 11:48 PM
This job is not hard to get its hard to do! If you really want to learn this go to powerlineman.com site and look at the jobs board. Pick one out in your area that is a Ibew indentured apprentiship and apply if you any good at all i bet youll get on. The electrical experience you have will help if it wasent union that is ok. We dont get hired in this trade by fat cats down at the union hall get that out of your mind. Just try it youll be hired if your halfway good at this. If not someone will train you unless you wash out. The brotherhood will do all they can to help you if you really want this. I just retired and need some to keep my retirement checks comming. Ha Ha Good Luck

tramp67
12-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Go to the apprenticeship website - www.njatc.org - it is a very easy site to find your way around. Go to training centers, enter the state you live in, and it will give information about all the IBEW/NECA apprenticeship programs, phone #s, locations, etc. I don't have any relatives that were in the IBEW, I got here because of my attitude, not who I knew or what I knew. The goals of the apprenticeship programs are: "Attitude, Knowledge, Skill". Remember that you bring the attitude, they will teach you the rest. You WILL be tested on those three goals! Good luck!;)

shaun
12-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Sparks, where ya from?

mrnick
12-16-2006, 09:06 AM
HELP!!!!!PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Ok guys, im going to try this, its my last and final shot. Let me explain my situation to ya...Im 23 years old, and for the past year to two years i have been thinking about becoming a lineman, i read and read and talked to anyone and everyone that knew the trade. Finally i was able to get the website for the union (NEAT) filled out the paper work, took that FU**** hard test, and passed (wahoo)..Now here comes my problem, becuase Im young with zero experiece (although i work for an electrction) and do not know any fat cats in the union, im just shoved on the waiting list, and forgot about. I want to be a lineman very bad, and it sucks alot that not knowing anyone makes it worse, I was thinking about going down to the SLTC in Georgia maybe hoping it would up my chances of getting called in. If anyone has any good advice or maybe could help me out, please get back to me, my personal email is Jtamasco83@yahoo.com or just email me on here...please help!!!!

My friend Chance went there and said that he really liked it. Now he is working for a company in SC. Good luck!

Sparks33183
12-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Ok thanks guys and if anyone else has any info please post or email, I dont have any experience, I dont know if thats a problem, I called the guy that interviewed me at the union hall, but he ran me for loops, i was more confused after I got off the phone, then before i called..lol...I appreiceate it alot, being a lineman means alot i hope i get in, i am just waiting for the call...The electrical exp i have already is non-union. But it is construction...so lets all hope i get in, maybe ill see ya up on the pole sometime.....

And Shaun...to answer your question, i am from New Jersey....

P.S. I wil leave my number...And please no prank calls at 3 in am. I like to sleep...lol...
732-272-5639..And thanks again for all the input

damn_encode
12-16-2006, 10:42 PM
This could stir up some union/non-union crap but have you considered getting your start with a non-union contractor? They typically are easier to get on with & they will give you some experience so you might interview better with the JATC board. Otherwise I would recommend spending the money going to a line college, where you will learn the basics of linework and be qualified to begin your apprenticeship, additionally if you attend a reputable school potential employers will come looking to hire the best & the brightest. Or study up and pay on your own to get your Class A CDL, then buy the recommend hand tools and get started on your own. Possibly with a non-union line contractor if you have to. I could be wrong but with what I have seen, seems that back east it can be more difficult to get your start as an apprentice lineman, here in the West there are lots of opportunities, both union & non. The Mountain States & Cal-Nev JATC's are always looking for quality apprentices but they might require some travel initially, to the interview and then to work, but if you really want to get started you will do what’s necessary. I feel that getting your first job can be difficult but please choose which company (non-union) you work for with care, you want to get your start with a safe company that will teach you good working habits. Please remember that ultimately you are responsible for your own safety!

Take care & good luck.

shaun
12-17-2006, 01:10 AM
Why is this job so demanding, but so hard to get?

It's crazy isn't it? When I was hired, the first question everybody asked was, "who do you know"? "Nobody," I said. I was an electrician in the Navy for 6 years and sent out resumes to anybody and everybody when I decided to leave the service. Lot's of these guys were brought in because their dad or uncle or whoever already worked there. They never had any other job and honestly really don't have experience of how any other job union/non-union goes. Now, the company says it is re-staffing but is hiring more minorities to help bring us in touch with some of our urban customers. I have no problems with what color, religion, nationality you are from but a job like this isn't something to be PC about. You can f^uck yourself or somebody else up real easy, real quick if you have no idea what's going on. We have some new apprentices on and some are pretty good but others...OHHHH boy!! Why did they accept them? ? ? And here you are, obviously interested, (looking into options, asking questions and seeking advice) still having a hard time getting hired on. Good luck fella. I wish you the best because it seems like you are trully interested.

tramp67
12-17-2006, 07:46 PM
The NJATC usually is more interested in you having basic math skills and some common sense, along with a good attitude and work history, than they are in what your previous experience is. Line school is a definite plus, but my experience with the apprenticeship is that they really don't care much about inside construction experience - I was already a journeyman inside wireman when I got in the outside apprenticeship. I did go to a one year line school, and they granted me credit for those hours, but as far as being a narrowback, it didn't amount to much in their eyes. Although your experience as an electrician will definitely be a big help for you, as you should have a good understanding of electricity, ohm's law, circuits, transformers, etc. I'm not sure about your run-around at the union hall, but I think if you give the nearest outside construction apprenticeship office a call, they should be able to answer many of your questions, and also steer you into the proper direction for getting into the apprenticeship.
Good luck, and remember, a positive attitude is #1 in this trade, everything else can be taught.

CenterPointEX
12-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Come to HOUSTON... The conditions suck... the pay sucks... and so nobody wants to work here... If you come down and get a commercial liscense you will go to work yesterday as an apprentice. Punch yer ticket here for about three years and then get yer arse on down the road like anybody with any sense has done...

Sparks33183
12-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys I really Appreiceiate all your input. My enthousiasm for a lineman, is the most you will ever see anyone. This job gives me goose bumps and I dont even have it. The panel board at my interview, told me that out of all the guys they interviewed, I was the only one who seemed really interested in becoming a lineman, plus they saw that I showed alot of resposniablity, so my question still and will remain, Why am I not in yet? No fear though, I am going to wait till may and go down to the lineman school in GA. ITs a big risk, id be giving up my apartment and all, but anything to show these guys i want in, ill do it..In the mean time, keep up with ur feedback, it keeps me going, and godbless and stay safe...Its a dangerous job, we do it cuz we want to, not cuz we have to:D

NJlineman55
12-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Dont start that we and us shit until you become a lineman buddy. Until your apprentice program is over, keep your mouth shut and remember you aint shit till you become a lineman. You follow this rule and you will be fine. Did you try what a messaged you? P.M. me let me know!

scammy
12-18-2006, 11:59 PM
everyone is poor till after the new fiscal year,,they have pissed all the money away in bonuses to each other,, after that they will have some money to hire ,

Sparks33183
12-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Jeeze lineman, did someone put sandpaper on your toilet seat this morning? I can see you must of played with to much electric this week.......And no i havent tried it yet, i want to wait it out for the N.E.A.T. program. I want to learn my apprentice traveling if i dont hear anything by march, im going to go down to SLTC and then apply in state to jcp&l or Pseg, and if i dont get hired by anybody, im going to donate my body to science:rolleyes:

NJlineman55
12-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Do yourself a favor and dont even think about JCP&L cuz they suck moose cock. Just ask anyone that works there, First Energy has ruined that place. Just giving you a little sample of what your going to get when you start your apprenticeship buddy. Be prepared to get your balls busted. Dont sell PSE&G short they have a great apprenticeship program and you learn all aspects of linework, not like most utility pukes. Since the have no contractors you really have to learn everything. Well either way good luck and keep us posted.

Sparks33183
12-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks lineman, and yes i heard that jcp&l sucks balls, and im suprised that pseg does everything thats actually a plus in my book maybe i will give them a shot, i just want to learn as much as possible. This line of work is very interesting to me and I dont wanna be sold short on my apprenticeship.

Sparks33183
03-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Finally after months of wait, the union finally called me....ABOUT TIME!!!!!

riverhog14
03-19-2007, 10:45 PM
so when ya starting?

Ive been keeping a log, and have applied at my local utility in central florida ;) a total of 8 times!! Finnally, on the 8th, I got an email to come to tampa and take the CAST test. I took it, and got a email saying they were pleased to inform me i have passed this section of the selection process, but this does not mean that they will offer me a job blah blah I dont know if it is just a stall for a few weeks or months, or if is a polite way of saying good job but not good enough. I thought I did great on the test, i took the practice test online in well below the required time. who knows.... im hoping ill get a call pretty soon... but keep us posted on your situation. maybe ill hit up SELCAT after i finish college in a couple years if I still havet gotten a call.. LOL!! good luck to ya

Calvin

Sparks33183
03-22-2007, 04:50 PM
I start on monday april 1 2007, I orginally applied online back in august took my test in sept. then went on my interview in novemeber, passed and was put on that same damn list, and they just called me monday......My advice is to call and show them ur very interested, i called them like 3 or 4 times and wrote them a letter....Took a cpl months but it worked. Good luck man...
Joe

NJlineman55
03-22-2007, 10:32 PM
where u get in 456?

Sparks33183
03-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Lineman,
I got into N.E.A.T. (North East Apprentice Training) But yes the New Jersey Local for N.E.A.T. is 456 I start my first job monday morning 7 am in Newark

NJlineman55
03-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Im curious to what you will be doing since the power company in Newark doesnt use contractors. You maybe doing some work on private property. Either way good luck to you and like I told you before, keep your mouth shut and listen and you'll be fine. Congrats!

Sparks33183
04-04-2007, 08:18 PM
No its not private, its for PSE&G its an underground transmission line in aluminem, changing over to copper. Some splicing...Its my first job so i know less then nothing...The company i work for is Prysmian cables and system...There pretty big they do most of PSE&G's underground work....
Joe

markwho
04-15-2007, 02:44 AM
Sparks, Good luck with the new job. Did you apply to NEAT for the app. position or did you go through the local.

Mark

Sparks33183
04-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Yes mark i did apply to neat..took a while, but i finally got in..and thanks for the congrats....
Joe

lager
04-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Sparks, so how do you like th job so far? Is it what you expected.
I'm on the NEAT waiting list and chomping at the bit for the call!!! I took the test in Jan. 07, interviewed the end of March, and am now on the list.
It's hard knowing that it could be any day now or up to 23, or maybe even never. I want this...and will wait, but I'm not getting any younger. lol

This is my first post on this board, but I have been reading it for months. Thanks to all on the forum for your post, it's nice to get insight from you guys buy reading your post! Thanks again!!

Sparks33183
04-29-2007, 09:44 PM
its great, right now im working underground, and were at the end of the job so its kinda boring were just wrapping pipe, but since im a newby i cant say shit...But i just finished my second weekend of pole climbing, and let me tell you, im in pain, thys, biceps, knees, i need a month just to recover, but is cool man, climbing those poles, tiring, but i love it.....Its unbelieveable.....tough as hell to manever but once u get it, u got it good......ill keep u updated when i move to better line work...keep in touch man and good luck....
Joe

Sparks33183
06-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Ok guys, my first job after three months is coming to an end, my layoff will be next thursday June 28, and i have to say, it was quite an experience...I am looking forward to the next one, maybe ill get to go somewhere good and travel, maybe ill be 10 min from my home, who knows...The bookwork is a pain in the ass, but other then that, i love it...I am very thankful to be here, and its a kick ass job....Now we just need to keep non-union companys out of our state and off our property....Stay safe...keep on trucking...
Joe