PDA

View Full Version : Help from Colorado Lineman!

capitolgangster
12-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Hey I have been in the trade about three years, first year as an apprentice and two as a groundman. I do not want to go back to the Cal-Nev NJATC for multitudinous reasons but mostly their degrading standards. They just keep advancing unqualified people. So the long and short is I am coming to Colrado and the MSLCAT program which I feel is a better program. (Plus I get to live in a clean and unexpensive state) I am at the breaking point financially because the work is sparse for groundman in northern california. If anyone could put me up near the Training Center in Colorado Springs on the dates around my interview (January 16th) and climbing class which will most likely be a week later. Although, climbing class may be in Utah. I am not sure. I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I have never worked in the weather out there. This horrifically hot weather in Cali never stops. So, if anyone could tell me exactly what kind of clothes/insulated boots and whatnot that I should buy I would appreciate it. I think it is in the 40's in the daytime. So maybe you guys just work with thermals underneath regular carhartts???

Any info/advice regarding Colorado work, training, apprenticeship etc. will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Daniel Antinora
IBEW 1245

email: capitolgangster@yahoo.com

racinsprintz10
12-28-2006, 11:48 PM
hey bro,
first of all good luck with your interview in Colorado. Also, not trying to be a jerk but you are gonna run into what you would classify as "unqualified" hands everywhere you go. I did not go through the Cal-Nev apprenticeship but from what I know, it is certainly a respectable program. Just remember, not everyone has the same way of thinking as you or the same ability but you can only worry about yourself. Degrading new lineman and apprentices on a national known website will not help your cause. As an AP you have to bite your tongue and accept the task that is before you. Good Luck.

rpcenter78
12-29-2006, 09:29 PM
springs got 25" of snow the last two days.

NoPotential
12-29-2006, 09:53 PM
first off just because your interview is in january dosent mean that you will start the next week it verys for each apprentice some guys have been on the call list for months, also there is no climbing class in utah, there is one in helana mt and one in co springs. if you get in they will tell you which one to go to you do not get to pick. be hopefull that you will go to helana, george the main instructor up there is pretty cool just dont piss him off. right now from what i have been told most of the new apps go to utah around slc to do underground. all i can say is dress warm. good luck.

capitolgangster
12-30-2006, 01:39 AM
thanks fellas