PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Valley JATC

2ndGenHopeful
12-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Anyone (current apprentice or topped out) out there want to talk about their experience with Missouri Valley JATC? I have interviewed and awaiting my ranking letter.

Depending on my ranking with Mo Valley I am going to sign the books at Local 2 looking for a groundman spot.

Thanks to all you Journemen out there keeping this forum going.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

tramp67
12-24-2006, 08:06 PM
I went through MVLCAT, and thought it was a pretty decent program. There have been a lot of changes since then, new director, change of class format, less workbooks, etc. From the apps. I have worked with recently that are in the program, they seem to like it for the most part. The instructor you have for your Saturday classes makes a big difference in what you learn as far as classroom time goes. They have also cut back on the required hours of hot time, and are much more lax on what they consider to be hot time now. I don't think that is a good change, it was made mostly so they could push apprentices through the program faster. A big part of MVLCAT, as with any other program, is that you get out of it what you put into it. More importantly than what you learn in class is what you learn from your coworkers. They are your most valuable resource for information and training, and most of the hands out there are willing to teach anyone that wants to learn. Good luck, and work safe! If you feel something is unsafe, don't do it, the apprenticeship will back you up.

2ndGenHopeful
12-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks for your insight Tramp. I am glad you have an overall good impression of the program. I just received my ranking letter and am 3rd on the list for Local 2 out of St. Louis.

Anyone looking into an apprenticeship should read this forum. I am fortunate that my Dad was a lineman for 20 years and is still in the industry. If you aren't as fortunate to know someone that is a lineman this is the next best place to learn about apprenticeships, linework, union issues, etc. If you read this forum and listen to what the linemen are saying you will sail through the Mo Valley interview - no matter what your employment background is.

Good luck to my fellow apprentice hopefulls and thanks again to all you linemen out there paving the way.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Buy American!

tramp67
12-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Good luck with the apprenticeship! Remember to keep up on your books, I always used rain days as bookwork days - figured I would have been working if not rained out, might as well keep the day work related. If you stay in the St Louis area, you will have lots of good experience in the back lots, and meet many dogs! I've never seen as many fences and dogs as I have in St Louis, but all the dogs I ran across had much more bark than bite! I also was surprised at how much Ameren likes to run main feeders in the back yards - makes the system much more vulnerable to storms, and harder to restore, as we have seen this past year.:cool:

hillbilly
01-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey bud if you can,try to work with Kevin Settle,he will teach you a heap about the trade.I cant remember when he topped out but he still remembers what its like to learn.I was a lineman for him around Potosi,MO.a couple years ago.He is good people no matter where your from.I havent worked there since early 05 so really dont know his status.I really enjoyed my stay in MO. and think local 2 will give you a well rounded apprenticeship.Good luck and for God sakes listen and do the right thing

2ndGenHopeful
01-04-2007, 04:56 PM
HillBilly - thanks! Glad to hear Local @ has a good rep for getting good experience. Your adivise is not falling on deaf ears (although my former lineman Dad has made sure they are big enough by yankin on em!)