PDA

View Full Version : line school

graybeard
12-27-2006, 12:05 AM
Can anybody tell me if they know anything about a line school in northern GA.? I think its called SE linemans school

lineman641
12-27-2006, 12:03 PM
http://www.lineworker.com/index.htm

graybeard
12-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the info.Got a son inlaw who is thinking of going there and he's driving a truck now. I don't think he knows what he's getting into. He thinks he'll be a journyman when he gets done. He's in for a big surprise.

Doggboi
01-08-2007, 06:23 AM
I am attending SLTC now.. We have had visits from some past alumni as recent as 14 months in the field who started as 2nd step I believe. Second day into schooling they started us on the poles, 3rd day was a full day ( 8a - 4:30a ) of climbing, you can already get a feel for the guys that are gonna struggle a little bit.

graybeard
01-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Doggboi
Let me know how the drop out rate goes and how they do with job placement.
Thanks
Graybeard

Doggboi
01-09-2007, 10:43 PM
So far we are down 1 for medical reasons, he had a pre-exisitng back issue. And one more is 'soul searching'

This is by no means easy, nor did I expect it to be. I am actually thinking of putting up an expanded thread, so noobs, and maybe some of the old timers can get an idea of what the instructors are training us, and the type of guys they can expect to see as a result.

Those that work with or for Dominion , we have about 6 fresh, and I mean wipe mama's milk off thier lips kids that Dominion has already hired.

It looks like we have a handful of guys that maybe were expecting to get jobs close to home. I myself , packed everything I had in a trailer and my jeep to come here for school , with the express intent on getting on with a traveling crew somewhere, anywhere that I could go, as long as I can bring my dog.

graybeard
01-14-2007, 10:08 AM
D
Thanks for the up date. I believe this is a 7 week school right? The schools up here are 4 months and I'ld like to know if you think that you'er getting enough training in the 7 weeks. I also would like to know about how many are going on their own and looking to find a job after and how many already have a job and are being sent by the company that hired them.
Thanks
Graybeard

Doggboi
01-14-2007, 07:30 PM
This is a 16 week class.

Out of approx 66 students I believe 10 are already hired with the remainder looking to find work after class.

According to the instructors we will start getting visits from recruiters at the 6 week mark.

BigClive
01-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Suddenly I've got this stupid idea that it would be one helluva holiday to do a full American linework course just for the fun of it.... Hmmmm..... :rolleyes:

graybeard
01-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Clive
Theres a lineschool just north of me 25 miles. You'll need a long vacation though because its 12 months long. We just where up there this last tuesday to take some old tools and equipment to the school to donate for their use. It was about 12 below zero and the wind was blowing and these boys where in their hooks hanging tubs. Still want to come?

BigClive
01-20-2007, 02:35 PM
12 months would be too long. Even the four month course would be pushing it a bit from a total cost perspective. (but still do-able)

So what do you think I do here in Scotland when the sleet is battering down and my gloves stick to the metalwork? As long as you dress appropriately you can work in just about any weather. It just gets a bit harder at times.

Biggest problem at the moment is the high winds we've been getting. It causes a bit of a problem with the access units and cranes. The extreme cold can be a problem with some of the plant too, with diesel powered plant taking a while to start and the hydraulic oil thickening. I've seen me shinning along booms and pouring kettles of hot water over frozen valves in the past.

graybeard
01-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Clive
It wasn't meant as a slam but, it doe's prove to us at least how important it is to keep customers lites on. Come on over I bet they would be tickled to have you sit in on classes.