PDA

View Full Version : Need Info

mega
12-29-2006, 03:58 PM
I need to know step by step how to take a capacitor out of service. Not familiar with them.

Orgnizdlbr
12-29-2006, 04:06 PM
What type of capacitor? You are only taking it out of service, or will you perform additional work on the cap after it is out of service?

Bull Dog
12-29-2006, 04:23 PM
If its a half switched bank open oil swithches with control turn off automatic switch. Open remainder of caps with a load buster. Wait a few and drain them with a high voltage tester. Make shure reclosures are off if you intend to unhook them if you energize close cutouts close oil switches and clip with amp probe to see if there working.

shaun
12-29-2006, 05:10 PM
I need to know step by step how to take a capacitor out of service. Not familiar with them.

Where are you from? Pls don't blow yourself up.

BigClive
12-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Most important things to know are that any fitted bleed resistors designed to discharge the capacitor may have failed in the past and it may hold a charge for a long time.

Even a disconnected capacitor can regain a significant charge after discharge due to a strange characteristic where the electrolyte exhibits a battery effect.

I've less than fond memories of connecting the tails onto a high voltage capacitor bank in a steelwork substation. I was given the task because I was a young apprentice and the other sparks didn't want to do it. I knew fine well what was possible and was gingerly using my adjustable wrench to crowbar the busbars because I didn't know where the thing was powered from or if it had been fully isolated. Ahh, those were the days. When safety wasn't considered and most seasoned industrial sparks had at least one tool with a HUGE lump melted out of it. :o

Budda
12-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Is it distribution or transmission?
single or bank?