PDA

View Full Version : help

rpcenter78
12-29-2006, 09:32 PM
I am an apprentice lineman. I am enrolled in the merchant program. Does any one have the 2nd and 3rd year tests and willing to give me copies of them? I would greatly appreciate it.

Electriceel
12-29-2006, 10:00 PM
I am an apprentice lineman. I am enrolled in the merchant program. Does any one have the 2nd and 3rd year tests and willing to give me copies of them? I would greatly appreciate it.

I guess maybe I am to old to understand, but what the #.
Now to become a journeyman you just ask for the tests to study from.
Someone set my ass straight here, I came from the old school, you study it, you watch it, you do it, then everyday you learn more.
I am not in it for the money, in it because I want to be.

graybeard
12-30-2006, 11:35 PM
Well Said Electriceel

rpcenter78
12-31-2006, 12:18 PM
Just like you said your self,"I came from the old school, you study it, you watch it, you do it, then everyday you learn more." I asked for the test to STUDY from, I WATCH it everyday, I DO it everyday, and I am LEARNING more each and every day. Where in this cycle do you need set straight. It is not rocket science, if you are not going to help why post a reply.

electric squirrel
12-31-2006, 12:20 PM
It aint about the job no more fella's!!! Its just about makeing the big money! I have apes coming up to me all the time asking me for answers.I guess they figure that since Iam toppin' out REAL soon and I have all that stuff.
I tell 'em read the books do the homework all the answers are there!Alot of the ape's that I've seen since I got into this program like to have things come to 'em the easy way!They all want to get that step raise and make more money,but they dont want to have to put out any effort to get there.!Its all about staying close to the house and not having to work to hard!I had a 3rd step go out on our crew a few weeks ago,simple job,arm change outs on 3 phz ,dead n' grounded line.Foreman wanted all us squeeks on the wood to get some learn'n time.Lineman and a 3rd step on first pole,me and other 3rd step on next pole,him in the air, me grunting,Foreman was parked in between poles, clear line of site to both stuctures.Anywayyyy, it took my ape almost 40 minutes to move the wire to the top of the pole and get the arm off!THEN he couldnt get it off his belt.He tried riggin' it to the handline , he tried just sending it "airmail"back to the handline agian.Then a 5 minute break,then back to the handline.Finaly the arm was on the ground.Now I tell him the new arm is coming,is he ready? No way, he needs another break.Now the whole time I've been encourage'n him and offering pointers,but he knows how to do it ,according to him.Now its time to put on the new arm on ,after about ten tries to get the arm on to his belt,it was time to put it on the bolt,after another ten tries and 3 or 4 belt adjustments he finaly got it!Now him puttin' the wire back on the glass is a whole other story.Now its my turn and my foreman and I have been teasing eachother,now we are in a race! 3rd steps are on the ground,until his ape decides to climb up and see how its done,mine is in the shade waiting for me to call for the new arm. 22 and 24 minutes later we are on the ground.

I realy dont think this ape is ready to be "hot".When it takes that long to change out an arm ,things arent right.But he's asking for answers to step test later that day and complianing he isnt makeing enough money.Ive had previous experience with him before, he wont take call outs and you wouldnt know he owns a belt'n hooks unless you tell him to get on the pole.He's just lookin' for the easy way to get through this program.
I think that alot of guys get into this trade just for the money,and think they will just skate by untill they top out,and take that first foremans spot that comes up.Those guys disgust me!

I wasnt the best ape, but I always had my foreman and GF's tell me I was welcome back anytime.I always tried to study,even when it was a pain in the ass.I rolled with the punches when I was sent to places far away from home.I put my hooks on every time the primary was tied in,sometimes just so me and the JL didnt stand on eachothers feet.I ALWAYS took a callout,even if I didnt care for the crew or the kinda job.

If you are desperate enough to beg for the answers to some test on this site maybe you should consider another career!Not only are you selling yourself short on knowledge,your pissing off alot of other ape's that havent cheated!!!Maybe you got other issues that force you to take short cuts,but if your shortcuttin' now your probaly gonna do it if you top out!Thats gonna get you or even worse ,someone else hurt or killed!A real good pal of mine was just killed because of shortcuts! Cutting a fat hog in the ass aint always the way to do it!Just my thoughts......E.S.

Budda
12-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Nicely done, electric squirrel.

Electriceel
12-31-2006, 08:20 PM
Well rp, it is like this, I have no problem helping someone out, I in no way claim to know the answer to everything.
I will help out anyone if I can, at the job site, at the shop, or even after hours if they will put forth some effort into it. Not going to babysit some young smart ass who probably needs his diaper changed.
Hell no I will not give you the answers or the tests, I will help you get it.
I bet you are the last one to make a move for the basket, and I bet you are the one that has to be told get your shit on and get up that pole.
Had an old line supervisor years ago at the time he was probably 55. I said it could not be done off of the pole, quess what he marched my ass right up that pole and I got to see a man a lot older than me do it. Never again did I question whether it could be done or not, he was always willing to talk any of us through the steps, and he was very respected for that.
Squirrel explained it pretty well also, some of the apprentices think they know it all, they got it all figured out standing their for the tailgate, talking about who got laid last night, but whoa when it comes time to go to work, they have to go take a shit.
I do not put everyone in this category, everyone young or old gets a chance, but when they don't seem to want to pay attention, I quarantee you there will be a time when it is either 20 below or 110 in the shade, this old guy will be the last one laughing.
Well I better quit rambling anyone wanting to learn is tired of the bullshit, and anyone not willing to learn can not read anyway.

Wishing everyone and their families and a safe and happy 2007.

rpcenter78
01-01-2007, 06:16 PM
:o Just to fill you in a little about me. I started this job in May of 06, and to be honest with you I did not no anything about electricity except to plug things in. Im not looking for short cuts, I agree with you unless I LEARN this trade, I will hurt or even kill someone. I am looking for any info that will help me understand and learn this trade. My foreman is a 25yr lineman, and he gives me every opportunity to got up in the bucket with him. Just to let you know I take advantage of this opportunities. But for any of you to call me out the way you have is completely out of line. I hope when I get to where you are in my career, Im nothing like you guys. Cause if that is what i get to look forward to you are right this career is not for me. You guys just confirmed for me what great guys i work with.

pwrlinepole
01-01-2007, 11:04 PM
I think you need to quit whining and take some advice

pwrlinepole
01-01-2007, 11:04 PM
I think you need to quit whining and take some advice
go hard or go home

Electriceel
01-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Ok maybe I came down on you a little hard.
No one has a problem with giving advice. We are all learning everyday.
I am down on apes right now, got a handful of them that are just not meeting expectations. Here is what you don't want to do.
1.Show up with donut and coffee, shoe laces untied.
2.Telling about the party last night or the girl you think you scored with.
3.Talking when you better be listening.
4.If asked to work past quitting time for a few minutes just do it, the favor will be returned.
5.Standing around letting the others pick up the slack you have created.

Now a few dos.
1.Make sure the truck is ready to go before you leave, if not then first thing in the morning, you don't need to be told what is needed to restock the truck.
2.Tailgating is over, if you are capable of the task at hand, get your shit on and get going, you don't need to be told.
3.Work time is for work, play time is for play.
4.Pay attention to the old guys, I promise you they have some tricks that will make your job safe and easier, they have been there done that.
5.Hope I don't have you shaking in your boots, there is always more than one way to do a task, give your input, you might have a better way, I will always listen.

Now what always makes me eat my words is that allnighter storm damage, my ass is dragging while yours is still going strong, we were all there once and you will get there also.

You put forth 110% and I promise it will be worth it. A good study guide is the Linemans Handbook keep it with you at all times.

shaun
01-01-2007, 11:45 PM
:o Just to fill you in a little about me. I started this job in May of 06, and to be honest with you I did not no anything about electricity except to plug things in. Im not looking for short cuts, I agree with you unless I LEARN this trade, I will hurt or even kill someone. I am looking for any info that will help me understand and learn this trade. My foreman is a 25yr lineman, and he gives me every opportunity to got up in the bucket with him. Just to let you know I take advantage of this opportunities. But for any of you to call me out the way you have is completely out of line. I hope when I get to where you are in my career, Im nothing like you guys. Cause if that is what i get to look forward to you are right this career is not for me. You guys just confirmed for me what great guys i work with.

RP, answers for a test won't teach you anything about this trade if you don't understand what you're doing to begin with. (yes, you'll pass the test but what did you learn?) What kind of questions do you have? What don't you understand? Post up some questions and with all the knowledge on this site, no doubt, you'll find your answer. If you don't understand the answer to your questions, post up and we will explain it until you do. THAT"S how you'll learn! THAT"S how you'll start to understand what's what. Some guys might come off a bit harsh with their replies but it's not because they are a$$holes. It's because they really don't want to read about Joe Blow lineman, blew himself up today and left behind a young family because he didn't ask. So, what don't you understand or what are you concerned about (besides a written test)?

rpcenter78
01-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Thank you, I like and can relate to that. I am a 30 yr old husband, dad of 3. So that tells you how far behind I really am. This was truley a career change for me. A buddy called me up and told me about the opening and here I am. I am trying to catch up, I should have made this move 10 yrs ago. But better late than never again thank you for the advice.

shaun
01-01-2007, 11:58 PM
we were all there once and you will get there also.

You put forth 110% and I promise it will be worth it. A good study guide is the Linemans Handbook keep it with you at all times.

Absolutely!! I still have a couple books tucked away that wil ALWAYS travel with me where ever I go. I use it alot more than I thought I would have to also...

shaun
01-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Thank you, I like and can relate to that. I am a 30 yr old husband, dad of 3. So that tells you how far behind I really am. This was truley a career change for me. A buddy called me up and told me about the opening and here I am. I am trying to catch up, I should have made this move 10 yrs ago. But better late than never again thank you for the advice.

I'm 31 with two kids. Hang in there. You'll be fine, just ask some questions bro.

Genoin NW
01-02-2007, 12:34 AM
What a little prick! You are taking the easy way by trying to get test questions! I've been in this for over 30 years and never gave out test questions! That's what learning is for. On the job, school, reading, studying, asking questions. How the hell did you get through school? By cheating? If you're not willing to do the real work by learning and understanding this trade... get the hell out of it and let someone that will get into it. I hope your uneducated ass never gets on my crew!

Genoin NW
01-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Ok... I was hard on you but I've been to one too many funerals because of someone that didn't know what he was doing or the guy working with him had a brain fart. We have too many accidents in this trade to have someone that doesn't know how to find time to study out ther working. Tell your family that you have to have time to learn this trade to stay alive, it's that simple! When you learn this trade.... TEACH IT to someone! You can only do this by studying, learning, and asking questions of your journeymen.

Patriot
01-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Studying old tests is a good way to learn. Nothing wrong with reading and trying to learn. To get your journeymans, (NOW DAYS), you have to take tests, some times the B.S. on the tests is never experienced in a few short years, it takes time.
He didn't ask for the answers he asked for the tests. They have changed! A whole lot. You have, we have, trainers, that put more emphasis on climbing poles, than theory, personalities, and work ethic. A monkey can climb!

I am impressed that you want to learn, most don't, they just want the moneyand the title. If I had any old tests I would send them. Good Luck!

rpcenter78
01-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Finally An Intelligent Person Thank You So Much For Reading And Understanding Me.

PK270
01-03-2007, 03:06 PM
RP - while I understand your quest for knowledge you asked for the wrong material. We never had tests to study from. But here is what we did have:

1 Forman and lineman that were willing and able to crawl up your ass and stay awhile.
2 Lineman that will explain you are a piece of shit and you are nobody (I think the term was lower than whale shit).
3 ABUSE - you were shit and by the end of the day you felt it.

I think you get the drift, I climbed 40 ft just to give my lineman (in the bucket) a roll of tape. Did pole holes in solid coral only to be told I was digging in the wrong spot.

I never did understand why this was but now I do. I took it all and now have the respect of every journeyman that I ever worked with. The problem now a day is you have to treat the apes with respect and watch what you say as to not offend them. We all got our asses kicked when we were little but now a days you have to put your kids in "time out". Dont give up in this business but if the few comments (from guys that "worked" for it) made here ruffle your feathers, you may need to seek another line of work.

Suck it up (knowledge and bullshit), keep your mouth shut unless you have a question, and never stop busting your ass day in & day out. The answers will come.

pwrlinepole
01-03-2007, 09:43 PM
My jry why still says i am lower then whale shit every once in awhile.But he is more then willing to teach me everything he knows

rpcenter78
01-03-2007, 10:17 PM
that is my whole point i asking for the test to STUDY FROM. To get your journyman now days you ahave to pass 4 years of books. these old heads didnt have to do this and were grandfathered in and have no idea, even with their knowledge, how difficult these tests are.

Electriceel
01-03-2007, 11:14 PM
This old head says he was not grandfathered in. Took tests just like you young heads.

I am done with this post, so you can get the last comment. That will make you feel like you are the winner.
Get any tests yet?

Genoin NW
01-06-2007, 11:29 AM
I just ready your comments on "old heads" You piece of shit! You have no idea of what us "old heads" set up for all apprentices after us. Because of what we had to go through to learn this trade made it easier for and safer for the trade coming up. Carry that attitude on the job and you'll not last long.
You need to get your candy ass out of this trade and go sell baby clothes. grow up!

electric squirrel
01-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Big deal if them old heads got grandfathered in !!!
Sure some brokedicks slip thru, but remember those guys before us didnt have good raingear or nice fancy lowell wrenches or fiberglass sticks or BUCKETTRUCKS!!!
They also gave us knowlegde that came from trial and error,thats why the mortality rate is down from 50% among workers!
They also gave blood and sweat for Union contracts, so you and I could have it so easy!!!!!
RP 78 pull your head out of your ass! Those old timers will still run circles around us,they might not have had a formal appprenticeship like us but they did thier time!The test arent that hard if you read the books, dont be in a hurry to top out!Remember the two bulls on the hill story???E.S.:cool:

PA BEN
01-06-2007, 10:08 PM
I started as apprentice in 1984 that's 23yr's in the trade. Does that make me an old hand? I went to the first two years of school and that was it. The only problem was I didn't have a Journeyman ticket. After working in the trade for 11 years at the same employer, I had the chance to get my journeyman Card. I jumped at the chance. I started as a fifth step apprentice. Went back to the second and third year schools with you snot nosed kids, I had to eat a lot of humble pie. And I had 5 kids at home to boot. Don't tell me how ez we had it and how hard it is for you. I did it all without cheating. In 1997 I topped out and got my Journeyman Card. It was the best day of my life. And without cheating. Seven years later I took a new job and had 4 days to study for my new Union's Journeyman test. It was a 2 1/2 hr test. I passed and have the self respect that I did it without cheating. If you want to cheat this tells me that you don't care, do you think I want a kid like you watching my back? Hell no!! Why don't you take up basket weaving.

pwrlinepole
01-06-2007, 11:10 PM
hey pa ben why did it take so long to top out from 84 to 97 alot of stuff i agree with but it seems like that was a long time. and did you always work for a utility

PA BEN
01-07-2007, 12:38 AM
At the time when I started my utility didn't need a state aproved apprentice program. Yes I worked at the same utility, a small City, 3 man line crew. The state concidered me as a qualified employee. When one crew member left my boss talked the City in starting an apprentice program. Thats why I bit the bullet and started as a 5th step to get my card.

Genoin NW
01-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Now there... someone that truely loves this trade. Way to hang in there! Good lesson for that idiot trying to get test questions. I would love to know his name and where he works to drum his dumb ass out of the trade. We need guys like you PA not like him!

playtime
01-09-2007, 01:53 PM
rpcenter. I've been through the Merchant program and do still have my tests, but I will not part with them. I reflect back to them once in a while. I also had Merchant for an instructor at line school. One thing I will tell you and you should know this if you did your study guides the first year. Everything that you need to know for the tests are covered on your worksheets and the answers (used to be anyway) that are underlined in the back of the book are the ones you need to know for the test. If you have a question on something or don't understand feel free to ask. I also do not know everything.. but if you post your question on here there are enough knowledgable people on here that will help you. A good discussion about a problem will get everyone thinking and talking. Yes, there is usually many ways to get job done. Just because it is different than what you are taught doesn't always mean it's wrong....just different.

otpig2
01-09-2007, 06:53 PM
I also went through the Merchant program,plus had him for instrutor in line school at Mitchell vo tech. Like Playtime I too have my tests(guess what YOU can't have them) it been 18 yrs do the book work boy

Hey playtime when did you go to mitchell

playtime
01-09-2007, 10:40 PM
I also went through the Merchant program,plus had him for instrutor in line school at Mitchell vo tech. Like Playtime I too have my tests(guess what YOU can't have them) it been 18 yrs do the book work boy

Hey playtime when did you go to mitchell

graduated in 87

rpcenter78
01-09-2007, 10:44 PM
thing i dont understand is he dont anwer his questions. any college class i ever took questions in the book you could go back and find the exact answer. in this you read and have to pick here and there to try to find an answer, then you dont know if it is correct. unless you look at the answers for the work sheets in the back of the book. i have completed the 1st yr, with a 94% for the year. i have started looking through the second yr book and 2-1 there is no study material. i took advice from here to look up answers in the lineman handbook. thank you for the advice and i look forward to asking ?'s on here. its gonna take more than a couple of "old heads" talking crap and trying to be little me to get me out of this trade. the "old heads" i work with love having me around and enjoy working with me. just for the record!

playtime
01-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Taking crap is part of the apprenticship training.lol Believe me your day will come. The "old Heads" went through the same thing when they were apprentices.. if they tell you any different they would be lyin' to ya.

Don't know if you know this but Merchant does have a web site www.merchantjts.com it has some links to other websites that may help you plus you can contact them through the site. Merchant used to be really good about getting back and explaining questions. may be getting too big now to get to it right away. If everyone ran away from the belittlement there wouldn't be any linemen. Stick with it...

rpcenter78
01-09-2007, 10:54 PM
thank you very much

Schmitty
01-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Merchant is still good about answering your questions. I just finished his program and if there was something I didn't understand you could either email him or give him a call.

Schmitty
01-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Hey otpig2, where you from in western SD, I used to live and work outa rapid city, but recently moved to western WA?

otpig2
01-13-2007, 01:00 AM
Schmitty
I have a feeling we already know each other if a dirt nap means any thing to ya(no i don't want one)I work for coop thats in wall

Playtime; I might know you also I graduated in 87 also small world
:)

Schmitty
01-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey how's everything going? Keepin busy? You still have my number, give me a call sometime.

tdennis0229
02-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Don't let them get to you
You have the knowlege to find the answers you just asked the wrong people?
This is a forum for men and women to bitch about what they know and try to be smart ass's.

I am sure if you have the book and need to get some better understanding of what you are lacking then take your book into work one day and ask a very direct question....

and someone will tell you, show you or walk you through it

some people are the type that can look at something and figure it out
some are the type that are book smart

these people are just not smart
i figure if you ask for help then you are worried that you have not grasped it fully yet and i would think these old timers in here would want to help you instead of hinder you

they must have just woken up and started climbing poles and had all the answers !!!

it may be you on the ground one day that has to go up and help them get there ass's out of trouble and god only knows if you will after they treated you this way

but keep your chin up anything worth fighting for is worth the trouble

all lineman or linewomen are not smart ass's i just hope you the best in your quest for knowlege......

Sunshine in Florida

srflores67
02-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Im fairly new to the forum and I just finished reading this bulletin. Im deploying to Iraq in about two weeks and will be getting back in September and getting out in November. I will be applying for a lineman apprenticeship. Ever since I joined the Marine Corps I got interested in becoming an electrician. I have a friend who got out and is now started his apprenticeship as a lineman in New York. He tells me that he loves it so I have been looking more into it. After reading this bulletin along with all of the other, I know this is what I wanna do. I have to say that all you "old heads" have gotten me even more pumped up about getting in the trade. I didnt know what I wanted to do when I graduated High School and after I started college I still didnt know what I wanted to do. I joined the Marine Corps did a few tours in Iraq and now at 24 I have found what I want to do with myself. Just wanted to thank all of you "old heads" for what you teach the young apprentices because the knowledge and experience from all of you is key to make better people in the trade. I hope to work along a lot of you "old heads" because this guy is ready to learn from all of you. Good luck to all of you and may God Bless. Semper Fi!

suddsy
02-27-2007, 09:54 PM
As an app who will top out this year I can understand entertaining the idea of gettin tests to get an edge. BUT, I take alot of pride in how far I have come and know that you can only feel great about doin something is if you work for it. the harder you work the better. every asshole I ever worked for that ate my ass I thank because it motivated me to study harder, pay more attention, and think about what I'm doing so when I get asked to conduct the tailboard I can line out the whole crew on how to do the job safely, I might miss something, I might have a quicker way of doing something. Every time I get better. Hard work, diligence, and perseverence are only way to get better and be respected. Getting old tests is cheating If it wasn't your instructor would gladly hand them over.

Omen_x
03-20-2007, 03:59 AM
just to interject, I am 27 yr. of age I am enrolled in a 2 year apperticeship program, that I have to pay for and I also hold a full time job. I am in my final semester. After college I will be a mid step app lineman, but after a year and a half, my academic advisor tells me I should have taken a speech class, half way through my final semester and its to late to take it this year and its not offerd until next year in the spring semester. now I have to wait for a whole year so take a damn speech class, which I might add has nothing to do with line work, until I can get hired. I completed my internship last summer and everyone on the job loved my work ethic and ablity to complete any task that was given to me. If I was given a 3 phase delta to wye bank I could complete it with no problem. But when i am told to write it down on a sit down test I get a little frustrated. I didnt want to be a lineman to be tested on a peice of paper and judged on how can take a written test, I became a Line man because I love the rush of the work and the pride of being a lineman. Vetrans I have the utmost respect for all of you, believe me I do. over my summer internship I had 55 yr old guys on the pole with me totally school me. And they should, they have been in the treches for 30 years or more and they didnt get there without help from someone wiser than them. but i understand where rpcenter78 is comming from. Its not like he asked for your first born or anything he just wanted some study notes. everyone works for diffrent companys anyhow, no two tests are exact. He just wanted to get an idea what to look for. we are all on the same team here. cut the kid some slack. rpcenter78, I dont know you, and I hope your not one of those guys that trys to just skate your way through your job, but the fact that you are concerned enough to ask for help shows that you care about the outcome of your career. Work Hard and be safe everyone.

PA BEN
03-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Most Apprenticeships are 3 or more years! And whats so hard about drawing a diagram on a delta Y bank or any other bank? Sometime in the field you might have draw something in the dirt to get it clear in your head.:eek:

topgroove
03-20-2007, 09:45 AM
I agree pa ben. damn my apprenticeship was five and a half years. and yes sometimes your gonna have to draw a diagram.like when you have to phase in a couple delta wye ratio banks five miles apart and the old one was built kinda funky.your gonna want to make sure the new one you build is gonna phase in.

electric squirrel
03-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Man did I go about it the wrong way!!!! Omen x gets to top out in two years,,jeezz, I started out in 98' at a muni,then decided I didnt like that like the way they told you what to do and when to do it,lasted a year and a half.

Cowboyed for a year,,,,

Decided I realy didnt like starving to death,so I hired on at another utility (rat outfit, mind you , BIG mistake!)stayed a whole long year,but the pay was better.But the safety factor was a big thing!

Back to cowboy'n,,,,

2003 got into CalNev program,three and a half years later ,The light at the end of the tunnel is so bright I gotta wear shades!The countdown is into DAYS now! In all that time, a total of 6 years I NEVER cheated,I never asked anybody to give me any test!!!! I flunked a couple test, but the instructors helped me out and showed me what I was doing wrong and when I retested I passed.

Suddsy is 100% right , if the insructor handed you the test then its ok to study off them,if you had to look over his shoulder to get the answers then you need a swift kick in the nuts!!!! And if you are asking guys on the net, you belong in the same line as the rest of the guys getting nut shots!

Like Pa and Groove say your gonna draw a few diagrams ,in the dirt ,on the hood of the truck,on an old napkin,,,,,you better learn how to draw so you can teach the next newbie .Some people NEED to see it on papper!

If you cant cut it this trade without cheating then maybe you should reconsider,,,If you will take a shortcut in class you will for sure take a shortcut on the job,and that will get you or WORSE someone else killed!If you want to argue , just look at the pattern,,Pouk,Par,Mountian Power,H&M all of em , guys get hurt when they try to hurry.Cuttin' a fat hog in the ass works on the ranch not on the job.

If any of you think I'am just talking out my ass, you go ahead and keep thinkin' what you want,theres no helping you!

And if any of think you had a bad ,hard time as an ape and and everbody picks on you and I dont know shit cuz I've had it easy , I've had two friends die on the job in the last 3 yrs, I went through a divorce and lost an 1800 acre ranch and 40 head of cattle and 2 good horses.And I traveled so far for my whole my whole apprenticeship!

And I can honestly stand up and say I didnt have to ask for any test or take any short cuts!Cheat'ns for pussy's thats the way I feel,,,,,,but I bet alot of Journeyman feel the same way!!!!!!!! Now I'll get off the soapbox E.S.:mad:

linemanjake
03-27-2007, 06:29 PM
you want copies of some tests to study off of ? Sounds suspect to me. I read that you're 30 with 3 little kids. For your own safety I suggest you study and get the answers the old fashioned way, that way your 3 kids will have a dad who comes home after work. there's just to many resources out there (books and lineman) to use tests as a study aid. Take the long road and you'll be a better lineman put the time in now while you're an ape. Before you know it you'll be a lineman and at that point there is no safety net. Good luck to ya.

tolex42
03-27-2007, 08:10 PM

Now that would be known as cheating, wouldn't it? If you need to cheat to get the answers to pass the tests, you don't deserve to be a lineman. You'll always be known as a cheater and the things that you did not learn, as you should have, could kill you or even worse someone else.

Bradley
03-29-2007, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=rpcenter78;25460]:o Just to fill you in a little about me. I started this job in May of 06, and to be honest with you I did not no anything about electricity except to plug things in. Im not looking for short cuts, I agree with you unless I LEARN this trade, I will hurt or even kill someone. I am looking for any info that will help me understand and learn this trade. My foreman is a 25yr lineman, and he gives me every opportunity to got up in the bucket with him. Just to let you know I take advantage of this opportunities. But for any of you to call me out the way you have is completely out of line. I hope when I get to where you are in my career, Im nothing like you guys. Cause if that is what i get to look forward to you are right this career is not for me. You guys just confirmed for me what great guys i work with.[/QUOG Get out while you can,You don't have what it takes.

PA BEN
03-31-2007, 07:41 PM

Bradley ; Quote
Im not looking for short cuts, I agree with you unless I LEARN this trade, I will hurt or even kill someone. I am looking for any info that will help me understand and learn this trade.

Looking for the tests is cheating. Looking for a study guide is different. Looking for info to learn this trade is good. You can do that without cheating. Your a newbee when you've been in the trade awhile you will look at things differently. 11 months in the trade:eek: your lucky to ride in a bucket.:rolleyes:

west coast hand
04-30-2007, 01:56 AM
CHEATING THATS WHAT YOU ARE DOING PLAN AND SIMPLE. Maybe you don't understand this is a trade where you don't get a second chance YOU CAN BE ****IN KILLED OR KILL SOMEONE ELSE your said you have been in the trade since may 06 you don't know SHIT, I'm a young lineman only been a journeyman about five years, never cheated on any of my app test NEVER... TAKE SOME ****ING PRIDE IN YOUR TRADE WE DON'T NEED PEOPLE LIKE YOU IN THIS TRADE BOTTOM LINE. I don't really care if you like what I have to say, we work on high voltage you better know what you are doing you only cheating youself, so you should'nt be coming back with disrespectful posts remember one thing your a app a wanta be all you can do is climb a pole and tie a knot remember it a honer to be call a JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN just because your a app does'nt mean you will be a JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN someday thats up to us to make that call. so shut your mouth and you might learn something remember one thing you can't learn anything when your mouth is moving!!!!!

west coast hand
04-30-2007, 01:58 AM
CHEATING THATS WHAT YOU ARE DOING PLAN AND SIMPLE. Maybe you don't understand this is a trade where you don't get a second chance YOU CAN BE KILLED OR KILL SOMEONE ELSE your said you have been in the trade since may 06 you don't know SHIT, I'm a young lineman only been a journeyman about five years, never cheated on any of my app test NEVER... TAKE SOME PRIDE IN YOUR TRADE WE DON'T NEED PEOPLE LIKE YOU IN THIS TRADE BOTTOM LINE. I don't really care if you like what I have to say, we work on high voltage you better know what you are doing, your only cheating youself, so you should'nt be coming back with disrespectful posts remember one thing your a app a wanta be all you can do is climb a pole and tie a knot remember it a honer to be call a JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN just because your a app does'nt mean you will be a JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN someday thats up to us to make that call. so shut your mouth and you might learn something remember one thing you can't learn anything when your mouth is moving!!!!!

playtime
04-30-2007, 10:03 PM
One thing that I like about linemen. There is no gray area. They let you know what they are thinking, whether they are right or wrong.:)

lineman-up
05-01-2007, 03:05 PM
I have to agree with the journymen on this one. we have apprentices that have worked with me for over a year the only time they are in the bucket is when they are cleaning out the bottom after they get done washing the truck!!!!!! take advantage of this time to learn, you are not expected to know anything right now. In time that will all change and you will have to take on alot of responsibility, not only for yourself but for some other newbie that you have to make sure goes home to his family at night also. looking at those tests isnt going to teach you a damn thing. get a case of beer, invite your foreman over for burgers and pick his brain(worked for me)
he is the best resource you have.

good luck.

keep your chin up if it were easy everyone would do it!!

LINEMAN-UP:cool:

Omen_x
06-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Most Apprenticeships are 3 or more years! And whats so hard about drawing a diagram on a delta Y bank or any other bank? Sometime in the field you might have draw something in the dirt to get it clear in your head.:eek:

My Apprenticeship doesn’t end after 2 yrs. I just get to start working in the field after 2 yrs. as a mid step, or 2nd class, or b step, or whatever it’s called where you work. Up until 2 yrs. I have been going to college where I climb and wire up an assortment of different banks and UD work, basically anything that goes on in the field, but we do it at a training facility. Now we do that for 2 and a half days a week. The other 2 and a half days we go to the academic part of our degree, which are classes like history, speech, English, trig, and economics just to name a few. But we don't get paid for it, quite the contrary we have to pay for it, about $12,000 a year. Granted, I will have a degree when I am done but I have a bad habit, I LIKE TO EAT. I am not getting paid for 2 yrs. and I carry 19 to 21 credits a semester. Anyone that went to college knows that that’s a s**tload, also I work construction 40 hrs. A week at night and on weekends. My boss gives me off the week before mid terms and finals, which helps, but basically I go to school from 7:00 until 3:30 or 4:30 depending on the day of the week, then go to work from 4:30 or 5:30 once again depending on the week day until 9:30 or 10:30 at night. After that I come home and study about 3 days a week. as for the diagrams its not that its hard, its just diffrent. I can't for the life of figure out why they test us on paper, when they can just have us climb up a pole or bucket up and wire up the banks that way, with no primary high leg connected of course.

Line Cowboy
06-28-2007, 07:15 PM
12 GRAND HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!! hows that workin for ya? I started out in 03 made 30 in 05 I made 85,000 and you know what I would bet omen_x? after all the time and$$ you spent you'll be runnin a shovel like all the other men on the crew.....most of us didn't see a bucket till we PROOVED we deserve it by BUSTIN ASS for 2 or 3 years so you cant buy that ticket you gotta earn IT