PDA

View Full Version : How old is to old?

thunderize
12-30-2006, 05:55 PM
At what age would you say that you are to old to start an apprenticeship as a lineman?

49pan
12-30-2006, 06:30 PM
I am a full time AP instructor for a utility and some of my 1st yr. AP's are in their early 40's. If you have the ambition and attitude I say it is never to late to start. This can be the best job you ever have. Good luck and be SAFE.

wstxpwr
01-03-2007, 12:18 PM
I just turned 43 in Dec., I finished ap school in sept. of this year. Needless to say I was the oldest in my class but that didn't stop me from completing each comp. no matter what they wanted done. You just go out there with a can do attitude and "get er done" safely!! So as far as age goes if you feel like you can do it, it is probably one of the most rewarding careers you could have. Good Luck and don't let age be a factor.

Junkman
01-04-2007, 09:33 PM
I started at 31 I'm now 35 I think that was too old. It really is when I think about doing this Stuff till I'm 60. I'm in the gym every day and eating better trying to keep the ol' body in decent shape.

Trampbag
01-05-2007, 07:46 PM
The younger one starts in this trade the bigger the advantage. It also helps if you have a great desire to be in the trade from an early age (see Hemingrey Insulators this site). The longer you wait the harder it is and the further behind you are. It’s hard to compete against someone who achieves Journeyman status at 22 years old.

That said, it’s a trade, demanding true, but a trade and if you are physically fit and able to learn every day anyone can start the trade. It is surely one hell of a lot less demanding than it was 30 years ago because seldom was anyone climbing past the age of 50 and if you were over 25 there was no way you could start an apprenticeship, except in very special circumstances.

By the way Hem, don’t ever loose your focus, you’re going to be a good Journeyman.

graybeard
01-05-2007, 11:07 PM
As a lineman you still need to be able to climb. So no matter what the apps age is if you put them in their hooks alot early that can make or break them early no matter what their age. After that all they need is enough time to learn and thats up to ALL the JLs that work with them.

racinsprintz10
01-06-2007, 03:22 AM
If your an older apprentice, I would recommend not going into the trade with a chip on your shoulder and realize that just because a guy is younger, he still may know more than you when it comes to building power lines.

Genoin NW
01-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi brothers. It's all about attitude and committment to this trade not age. I was lucky to start when I was 25 and was mentored by the best of journeymen. I have taught apprentices of all ages and it's never been an age thing. I have seen apprentices in their mid to late 40's do extrememly well as they have already gone through their "growing up" years and offer great attention to details. My company just topped out a 53 year old and even with his few years of experience he turned out to be a great journeyman.Learn all you can from the wise and experienced and go on to teach others with your success!

playtime
01-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Hi brothers. It's all about attitude and committment to this trade not age. I was lucky to start when I was 25 and was mentored by the best of journeymen. I have taught apprentices of all ages and it's never been an age thing. I have seen apprentices in their mid to late 40's do extrememly well as they have already gone through their "growing up" years and offer great attention to details. My company just topped out a 53 year old and even with his few years of experience he turned out to be a great journeyman.Learn all you can from the wise and experienced and go on to teach others with your success!

Well said!!