PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Ross 86
01-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Hey to all you lineman out there! My name is Ross, I am 20 yrs. old from south-eastern, IL and a few months ago I graduated from the Powerline program at NWICC in Sheldon, IA. I have been looking for an apprenticeship for the past few months, something non-union because I just don't know hardly anything about the Union. Haven't had any luck so far, so I am trying to find out more about the Union and try that route, I am just a good ol' farm boy and I know if someone will just give me a chance I'll be one of the hardest working, most dependable guy's they've seen. Any advice from you experienced lineman on the Union or a young guy just trying to get started in this field would be Great! :confused:

adamr_41
01-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Your best bet would be to talk to the contractors in your area about their job openings. Contractors are always hiring, especially if you have CDL licenese and some climbing experience.

rpcenter78
01-26-2007, 11:54 PM
nppd.com job openings!

hillbilly
01-27-2007, 01:34 PM
I dont know anything about non-union,but we are really needing"good ol'farm boys"that know how to work and more important listen.I have worked from sea to shining sea,and a good worker is rare.
I cant think you would go wrong talking with the I.B.E.W. seeing as how the scale in S.IL. is 36 and change.I can only suppose that you being a young man from a farm would be pretty tickled at them numbers.I know for a fact that somewhere in the union you could get a toe hold,try calling local 702 in W.Frankfort,and at least get some info on the union.I suppose that you know IL is union and a non-union hand will be pretty hungry there

Ross 86
01-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Your best bet would be to talk to the contractors in your area about their job openings. Contractors are always hiring, especially if you have CDL licenese and some climbing experience.

Do you know of any good contractors in the S. IL, S. IN, KY area, I've talked to Groves Construction out of Madisonville, KY, through E-mail a month or so ago and just last week he sent me an e-mail asking if I was still looking for a job and if i would be willing to move, i emailed him and called his office several times but he doesn't seem to want to talk to me. Any knowledge you have of Groves Const. or any other Contractor in this general area would be great. I don't know anyone in this field so I'm not very familiar with all the different companies out there.

adamr_41
01-27-2007, 11:30 PM
I just know of 1 company. Pike Electric They are in the southeastern indiana area. . I worked for pike for 5 years and they was always good to me. And seemed pretty saftey oriented. They are really needing lineman bad from what I hear. I could probbally set you up with some phone #s if you like.

ROBL
01-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Contact the local union!! Union Lineman is the only way to go if you live in the midwest!!

42linehand
01-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Look into the NJATC you can just google it and then look for info in your area. This would be a Union gig though and yes that is the only way to go. Let me know if you have any question or if you have trouble finding info.

PA BEN
01-28-2007, 07:38 PM
:) Look up www.nwppa.org click on job mart then linecrew. There is a new post for a Lineman or apprentice. Good luck!!!!!!

Ross 86
01-29-2007, 01:11 PM
I just know of 1 company. Pike Electric They are in the southeastern indiana area. . I worked for pike for 5 years and they was always good to me. And seemed pretty saftey oriented. They are really needing lineman bad from what I hear. I could probbally set you up with some phone #s if you like.

Phone #s would be Awesome, are they a union conatractor, why did you leave, what kind of pay.

adamr_41
01-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Pike is a Non Union Company. Which you will hear both good and bad about. The only reason that I left was to get a permanant job with the power co. at home. ( I was traveling 4 hr. to work.) The pay scale in Ohio was,

C class lineman start out pay was about $16.00/hr
B class lineman was $20.00/hr.
A class lineman top scale was $27.50 I think. But it may be a little different where you are at.

Hope this helps. And I will try to get some phone #s for you as soon as i get em.

Ross 86
01-30-2007, 09:42 AM
ANY advice at all helps, Thanks Alot :D

paul1703
02-24-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't live near you to help you with what company to choose, But keep on looking. it could take a while, don't get frustrated and give up. it's a great job with great people who stick together. & Please only go UNION

wudwoker51
02-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Ross86, Contact ALBAT ph. 937-849-4177 and ask for information on what subcommittees are currently taking applications. Website www.albat.org American Line Builders Apprenticeship Training covers the states of Ohio,Indiana,Illinois,Michigan,Kentucky,Virginia,W est Virginia,Maryland and Washington D.C. Must be willing to travel but after 7700 hrs. the world is yours.

SouthernYankee
02-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Need to correct the web address for Albat, it is supposed to be http://www.albat.org instead of the commonly used .com

PA BEN
03-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Apprentice Lineman
City of Rupert
Salary: $13.54-$21.44 per hour, plus excellent benefits
Deadline: April 2, 2007
Posted: March 1, 2007

We are seeking a highly motivated individual who can successfully perform entry-level aspects of overhead and underground maintenance and construction on energized or de-energized electrical lines.

Candidates must possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalency, successful completion of an accredited Electrical Lineworker Program/School, and/or one (1) year experience in the Electrical Lineworker trade. The City will hire at the entry level of $13.54 per hour.

A qualified candidate will have a basic knowledge of electric theory; electric power line procedures, techniques, principles and equipment; be skilled in the use of tools and equipment used in this type of work. Also, a qualified candidate will have the ability to understand and follow instructions from supervisors; to perform work requiring good physical condition; to climb and work on wood poles structures and to work in awkward positions supported by only a safety belt and climbers.

Submit required City application form by 5 p.m., April 2,2007. The City requires a completed City application form in order to be considered. The application from can be obtained on the City Web site www.rupert-idaho.com, Go to the Dept. info tab. For more information or to request a job application and position description contact Steve Eckles, Electric Department Manager, or Carma Maxey, City Clerk, at (208) 436-9600,steve.eckles@rupert.id.us, or P.O. Box 426, Rupert, Idaho 83350.

racinsprintz10
03-07-2007, 09:47 PM
bro, if your in southeastern IL, try to find IBEW local 702 which is in West Frankfurt. They cover most of southern IL and parts of IN.