PDA

View Full Version : FPL finally called!

futureMIAlineman
01-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Well I have been waiting for FPL(T&MC) to call me for 6 months already. They said it would have started in July, but better late than never I guess. So I will be attending climbing school sometime in the near future, possibly a few weeks from now.
I was wondering if any of you vets had advice/tips on climbing. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....:cool:

Doggboi
01-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Being a Florida native.. I can say , be thankful you are doing it in this time of year, and not in July.

49pan
01-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Congrat's, if you are going to the Feb. 5 climbing school, be ready. There will be a lot of things that you think are BS but in it all helps. By the way I will be one of the ones teaching the class. Good luck. see ya soon. If you want send me a private message

lineman641
01-13-2007, 03:17 PM
I was wondering if any of you vets had advice/tips on climbing. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....:cool:

all right dude!:) i know you wanted this for a while.i think you will enjoy the learning process.if all the folks are like 49pan it should be quite a time. ......as far as climbing,feet in,knee's out and never climb below anyone who is hungover unless your in a rainsuit....lol....good luck ...I think you'll do fine.......let us know how it goes.

shaun
01-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Way to go fella! Good luck and congradulations!! Give it your best. Great news!:D :D

jada1218
01-15-2007, 03:45 PM
little word of advice !!!!!!!!!! find the :mad: OLDEST GROUCHIEST LINEMAN :mad: he will teach you the most. it takes a special breed of man to do this job WELCOME TO THE CLUB::cool:

Bigheadnc
01-15-2007, 05:32 PM
good luck futureMIAlineman !!!

scammy
01-15-2007, 09:21 PM
never quit,,,,never tell someone trying to teach you that ,thats not the way joe said.,,,,,never let the old guys work,,you need them for their brains,, sometimes you will have to fight for the work,allways step up.there is allways something to do ,,,but dont be in a hurry,congradulations and good luck ,,scammy

futureMIAlineman
01-17-2007, 10:03 AM
:D
Thanks for the advice and support. I hope everyone I come into contact with @FPL has the same attitude as you guys. I am still waiting for the date, hopefully it wont take another year for the recruiter to e-mail it to me. :(

futureMIAlineman
06-15-2007, 04:00 PM
and it has!!!!!!!.Has FPL frozen the lineman training program?!?!

damn_encode
06-16-2007, 02:23 AM
Stall, Stall, Stall...I say tell them where to stuff their overrated apprenticeship.

Quit stalling and join the IBEW JATC's Apprenticeship programs. Send your application to as many of them as possible. The ones out west (Mountain States & Cal-Nev) interview many times per year and we usually have lots of work to do. If utility work is what you want, rest assured most of the union contractors out west have dock crews and you will have your turn at dock work and trouble calls.

IMO: You will have a better apprenticeship with the JATC's, but like anything it is what you make it.

Miami Bear
06-28-2007, 01:41 PM
I graduated from the climbing school last summer. My best advice is to make sure you are well rested every single day and don't party too much on the weekends. Stay focused on what you are going there to do and put the rest of your life on hold for those 3 weeks as much as possible.

When you get breaks from climbing excersises, eat the bananas they provide and drink water to stay hydrated and prevent cramping. I was drinking a squeeze bottle of water every day on the ride there just to make sure. Remember, once you get dehydrated, it's very hard to get hydrated again.

My last suggestion is to have a positive attitude and be supportive of the other members of your class, even if they are slower than you. It makes for a good learning environment and I believe it increases everyone's chance of success.

(sorry, I read the date wrong and thought this was a very recent post hehe)

BigClive
06-28-2007, 07:46 PM
When you get breaks from climbing excersises, eat the bananas they provide and drink water to stay hydrated and prevent cramping. I was drinking a squeeze bottle of water every day on the ride there just to make sure. Remember, once you get dehydrated, it's very hard to get hydrated again.

Bananas! I get the feeling there's some "monkeys up trees" themed in-joke there.

The dehydration thing is interesting. With the current trend to a warmer climate in Scotland I've actually been experiencing this at a level which I can recognise is dehydration. It usually results in a lingering headache. Being in a supposedly wet and cold climate they never really consider the need to provide water on sites. That appears to be changing.

Doggboi
06-30-2007, 12:04 AM
Having lived in Florida all my life, and not only playing but working in its climate. hydration is super important. Because you will sweat just getting in and out of a truck. Sometimes just walking to the pole.

Dont forget though as a secondary thought, dry socks to change into at lunch. Foot rot and athletes foot is no fun

DomTrainee
07-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Congrats and when it comes to climbing, practice as much as you can. Good Luck

BigClive
07-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Having lived in Florida all my life, and not only playing but working in its climate. hydration is super important. Because you will sweat just getting in and out of a truck. Sometimes just walking to the pole.

Dont forget though as a secondary thought, dry socks to change into at lunch. Foot rot and athletes foot is no fun

And remember crotch rot as well!

I'm going to start a medical thread. There are a few issues in hot outdoor work that are worth mentioning.

shaun
07-06-2007, 04:36 PM
And remember crotch rot as well!

I'm going to start a medical thread. There are a few issues in hot outdoor work that are worth mentioning.

No doubt!!:eek: Gotta love the Gold Bond! It's your friend!:cool:

futureMIAlineman
08-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Well FPL called AGAIN. Since July of 06, my original starting date for climbing school, I have received many false calls. Just to update here is a quick briefing: 1. July 2006 2. September 2006 3. January/February 2007 4. April 2007. Now here is the newest one SEPTEMBER 2007!!!....Hopefully this date will be the ONE and not another false alarm.

Thanks for all the advice you vets have provided for us rooks, it is greatly appreciated.

lineman-up
08-02-2007, 03:53 PM
hey sounds like something has to go your way soon, good things come to those who wait. good luck keep us posted:confused:

Miami Bear
10-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey man did you get into the climbing school? My cousin is in it and I'm doing the 10 month part of the program now.

Miami Bear
10-16-2007, 05:55 AM
Ok, guess he left the board.