PDA

View Full Version : Northwest line JATC

Festus
01-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi all...Just looking for some info and expierences from anyone who has gone through the Northwest Line JATC program. Hows the work for incoming apprentices? Hows the classroom stuff? Im 23 and just back from Iraq. Ive been wanting to be a lineman for quite a few years. It's now or never. Look forward to hearing from ya.

cricket
01-11-2007, 08:48 PM
If thats the one in idaho, alot of our apprentices go there and get offered a job right out of it. The utility i work for is in northern california. the bosses here seem to have a pretty good turn out from there. goodluck!

Festus
01-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Its based out of Portland but it covers Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Northern California. Not sure if thats the same deal your talking about. Thanks

Genoin NW
01-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Here is a web site that can clear up all your questions. http://nwlinejatc.com

They have started a new pre-apprentice course called VOLTA and can supply you with the enrollment information.

Camp Rilea is an excellent school filled with great instructors. They prepare many, many apprentices throughout the northwest contractors and utilities.

Good luck to you and welcome home!

creepingcharlie
01-12-2007, 01:30 AM
Is VOLTA like NLC.

Genoin NW
01-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Yes, but a bit shorter training time. Worth checking into for the guys wanting to start. I personally know a very excellent instructor there.

Festus
01-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the help. I checked the website out and sent in for the info. It doesnt go to into detail with the Volta program though. It's just a course you go through before you start your appreticeship?

Genoin NW
01-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Give them a call, They wouod love to give you the details and class schedules. I would also encourage you to tour their facilities during their Apprentice training classes to get a good idea of what you'll be in for. Contact them for those arrangements and I'm sure they will take care of you.

NCLineman
01-13-2007, 01:14 PM
If anyone is looking at either VOLTA or NLC, I highly suggest you research both programs. I would DEFINITELY ask to speak to former students who went through the program! From what I have heard, VOLTA is severely mismanaged and students are having a hard time finding work. Very few get picked up by the JATC. The proof is in the pudding. I would call both places and ask for a list of 5 grads each and call them up and talk with them. I would also ask for what their placement statistics are! Do they offer college credits? How long have they been around? How active are they in the industry? I strongly agree with the prior post on getting a tour of the facilities. I would go to both programs and look at their yard, curriculum and even ask for a look at the academic books for their classes. Are they up to date? Good Luck!!

Festus
01-13-2007, 03:08 PM
How much diffrent would taking the VOLTA classes be then the ones you will receive as you progress through your apprenticeship?

damn_encode
01-13-2007, 03:40 PM
If anyone is looking at either VOLTA or NLC, I highly suggest you research both programs. I would DEFINITELY ask to speak to former students who went through the program! From what I have heard, VOLTA is severely mismanaged and students are having a hard time finding work. Very few get picked up by the JATC. The proof is in the pudding. I would call both places and ask for a list of 5 grads each and call them up and talk with them. I would also ask for what their placement statistics are! Do they offer college credits? How long have they been around? How active are they in the industry? I strongly agree with the prior post on getting a tour of the facilities. I would go to both programs and look at their yard, curriculum and even ask for a look at the academic books for their classes. Are they up to date? Good Luck!!

If its true that very few are picked up by NW Line JATC, that is funny considering that VOLTA is a union line school. Ask Volta this question and let us know what their response is.

I agree with NCL do the research and make up your one mind. But consider carefully what you are going to do.

Festus
01-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Is anybody out there currently enrolled in the Northwest Line program?