PDA

View Full Version : Calnevjatc

BIGHUB
01-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I am waiting on a interview for apprenticeship into the CALNEVJATC. I'm 35 and those Algebra classes were YEARS ago. How much Algebra is used or needed? In other words...I would like to know where should I start studying...the front of the book or the back of the book? LOL. I also would like to know if I were already enrolled in a truck driving school to get my CDL if that helps my chances of getting in the program.

I'm coming from a law enforcement background so I have no experience in this or any related field. I would appreciate any tips or pointers for interviewing for this program.
Thanks in advance. Bighub.

electric squirrel
01-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Hub, you wont need that algebra everyday, but in the first and second year books it makes things ALOT easier if you know the math!! There are some formulas and some series circut stuff that if you dont have a good grasp on algebra you will be lost.My thoughts on it are that you should bone up some,I had a real hard time with math,Iam 35 yrs old and I still use my fingers to count!Most of the work we do is just simple adding, subtracting,BUT they require all apes to meet the requirements.So if you could find some highschooler to help you refresh on some basics you will be doing yourself a favor.

As far as the class a , a truck driving school enrollment wont help,if you can show them that you have already passed the class and the license is in your wallet then it matters.Do yourself another favor and go ahead and obtain the class a anyway its only for your benefit.

Iam just about to finish the calnev program, so if you want some more info get in touch with me ,maybe I can help you. E.S.:cool:

BIGHUB
01-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Hey thanks for the info E.S.

NoPotential
01-20-2007, 09:55 PM
im a first step out of mountain states not sure how calnav does it but its got to be close to the same as here.
we had to take a math test at orintation and if you failed it like i did you have to take an 8 week math class on saturdays total pain in the ass if you have to drive 300 miles one way each week for a 4 hour class. so heres the stuff to brush up on.
1.basic addition and subtraction
2.multiplication and division
3.addition and subtraction of fractions
4.multiplication and division of fractions
5.decimal to fraction conversions
6.decimal addition and subtraction
7.decimal multiplication and division
8.units and conversions. length, time,weight,volume,area, power
9.math prefixes Giga,Mega,kilo,milli,micro,nano,pico and how to convert from one to another
10.square roots. not just of 49 or 81 but stuff like 11881
11.basic algebra, got to have a good grasp on it the second half of your first year books will be on ohms law.
12.postive and negative numbers
13.add subtract multiply and divide numbers in scientific notation
14.geometry
15.trigonometry, know the formulas for sin,cos,tan,and the pathagorean therom
16.vectors
17.percetages
18.ratios and proportions direct and inverse
hope this helps you out and take it seriously i didnt at first and it cost me about $1400 in fuel and lodgeing just to get to the math class not to mention lost overtime wages.

BigClive
01-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Basic maths and arithmetic in other words.

Calculations in scientific notation?
Not sure where those would be used in linework. I mean, a million volts does fit on an average calculator. :)

Vectors?
sine, cosine, tangent?
Are you likely to be calculating power factor correction?

Pythagoras theorum?
Is that for measuring the length of your guy wire or something? :D

BIGHUB
01-24-2007, 02:18 PM
im a first step out of mountain states not sure how calnav does it but its got to be close to the same as here.
we had to take a math test at orintation and if you failed it like i did you have to take an 8 week math class on saturdays total pain in the ass if you have to drive 300 miles one way each week for a 4 hour class. so heres the stuff to brush up on.
1.basic addition and subtraction
2.multiplication and division
3.addition and subtraction of fractions
4.multiplication and division of fractions
5.decimal to fraction conversions
6.decimal addition and subtraction
7.decimal multiplication and division
8.units and conversions. length, time,weight,volume,area, power
9.math prefixes Giga,Mega,kilo,milli,micro,nano,pico and how to convert from one to another
10.square roots. not just of 49 or 81 but stuff like 11881
11.basic algebra, got to have a good grasp on it the second half of your first year books will be on ohms law.
12.postive and negative numbers
13.add subtract multiply and divide numbers in scientific notation
14.geometry
15.trigonometry, know the formulas for sin,cos,tan,and the pathagorean therom
16.vectors
17.percetages
18.ratios and proportions direct and inverse
hope this helps you out and take it seriously i didnt at first and it cost me about $1400 in fuel and lodgeing just to get to the math class not to mention lost overtime wages.

i guess i better get in that class now.