PDA

View Full Version : Some Advice

HOOLEY
02-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Hello everyone, I live in Spokane Wa. and Im getting ready to turn 30 and I've been a backhoe operator since I was 20, I've put every kind of utilitie in the ground, I've been a foreman, pipefitter, laborer, I've had my class A CDL for 9 years. I'm good at what I do and I work hard. I have just moved up here from arizona so my wife and 3 boys could be around their grandparents and I've had the hardest time trying to find work, I've been laidoff for 3 months now, and I really have nothing to show for my ten years of being an operator. I had a friend in az that went through the JATC and he was a lineman at like 28, and I saw him before I left az. at a gas station in a brand new crew cab lifted chevy and I really started to think about where I want to be or (what I want to be when I grow up). So anyways I found the JATC in portland. I sent my app in before the deadline and I had my HS transcripts mailed there. I luckly took algebra in school. I also worked in phoenix as a equipment operator for the IBEW 769 and estamated about 1500 hrs and had the the contractor send a letter to the JATC showing my hours as a equipment operator for the IBEW. So do I have a chance? Will they bump me up to a second step apprentice because of my hours? Am i to old to be a lineman? Will I see my wife and kids in the next 3 to 4 years? What will happen at my pre-interview and my interview? I'm still waiting to here from them for my orentation. When you travel do you get perdiem for your motel and food or does it come out of your pocket? Do I need to sigh the books at local 77 as a groundman? I've sighed them already as a equipment operator but i'm not a member. Well thanks for reading and I've learned so much already looking at other peoples storys. Thank you and please right back.

CenterPointEX
02-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Sign the books as an operator or groundman for now... You should get sent out with that kind of experience.

PA BEN
02-07-2007, 08:59 AM
If you can't find work at Spokane Call Rick Strate at the 77 hall in Seattle. Good Luck!

boogerman
02-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Go to an operating engineers local keep operating equipment and let the machine do the work. That comes from a diesel machanic and truck driver by trade and lineman at 34 years old, now 48 ,one back surgerey and more aches and pains than I can write about.

racinsprintz10
02-09-2007, 07:09 PM
I would say your definitely not too old and sound like you have a good shot. Make sure your local knows you are ready to go to work immediately. My only advice is not to worry about getting credited hours. It only puts you that much more behind in apprenticeship. Its too short already as it is. Good luck.