PDA

View Full Version : Next Life

ShouldaBeenALineman
02-13-2007, 08:00 PM
From age 7 when I saved up and bought my first set of yellow-handled "Lineman's Pliars" down at Sears (you know the name is exactly why I wanted them :) ), I always wanted to be a lineman. Hemingray reminds me a lot of myself when I was his age. I never had the backyard setup he does, mine was made of big tree branches buried in the ground and old clothesline poles, but the wires were still on 'em (though only 24VAC from a HVAC transformer) and I still "worked" them. Got laughed at, too, "time to grow up".:confused:

I drifted around through various jobs as a young man, but always watched for and was fascinated by line work. One thing led to another and once I got married, I never could afford to just go to lineman school. Now I'm 40.:(

I still drive around with one eye scanning the lines and can spot in a second when there's a fuse open on a capacitor bank, a burned arrestor, etc. My wife thinks I'm nuts. Maybe I am.

I don't think we get a second go-around in this life, but if we do, you can bet that next time around I'll be a lineman. You folks are the best.

Hemingray Insulators
02-14-2007, 09:24 PM
glad ya like my line. haha I know the feelin of being made fun of for it. and used to be until lately all the girls hated me for who i was. now it would seem that might be changeing, cuz now i got a few girls that like me BECAUSE of who i am. unless they just think i'm hot for hookin the poles:confused: HAHA, been told once by this girl that hated me, "hey Brian, You look SEXY up there" one day, halloween, my principal wanted a demonstration of pole climbing out by the cafateria on an unused pole. well i went to the top (which was bout 20') and as i was about t come down, the girl i liked saw me, and yelled that up to me lol, i don't know what to think any more. one minute she hate me because i'm different, the next when she SEEs me doin my thing she likes me a lot.

Glad you like my line, I LOVE my line, and hopefully by this summer it'll have all real poles and be fed with 1/0 AL primary wire in 5" conduit, my scrap yard buddy in st lou. said he could hook me up. LOL.

And i offer a standing invitation to any one who want to see it if your ever over this way. Management who want to get me in trouble need not come........Been there done that once already. they aint taking this line from me:D THEY CANT:cool:

graybeard
02-14-2007, 11:06 PM
I know where theres an app that started at 46 and he looks like he's going to make it. He's in a company program but still has to do the climbing and bookwork.

WAlinehand1970
03-03-2007, 01:29 PM
From age 7 when I saved up and bought my first set of yellow-handled "Lineman's Pliars" down at Sears (you know the name is exactly why I wanted them :) ), I always wanted to be a lineman. Hemingray reminds me a lot of myself when I was his age. I never had the backyard setup he does, mine was made of big tree branches buried in the ground and old clothesline poles, but the wires were still on 'em (though only 24VAC from a HVAC transformer) and I still "worked" them. Got laughed at, too, "time to grow up".:confused:

I drifted around through various jobs as a young man, but always watched for and was fascinated by line work. One thing led to another and once I got married, I never could afford to just go to lineman school. Now I'm 40.:(

I still drive around with one eye scanning the lines and can spot in a second when there's a fuse open on a capacitor bank, a burned arrestor, etc. My wife thinks I'm nuts. Maybe I am.

I don't think we get a second go-around in this life, but if we do, you can bet that next time around I'll be a lineman. You folks are the best.

Its not too late, Shoulda. I am a 36 yr old, 7th step ape. And, like Graybeard, I know guys in their 40's, and even early 50's who are apprentices.
I dont know where you live, but I bet there is an outside line construction JATC somewhere close by. I was a union carpenter and construction superintendent for 10 years before I decided to get in the "family business" (3rd generation linehand). Even after having 13 months off due to serious injury from fall, I still think its the best move I ever made.
I guess what I am saying is, if you want to be a lineman, and you think you have what it takes, mentally and physically, GO FOR IT. Maybe, just like a lot of us, its in your blood.
Besides, its far better to regret the things you did, instead of regretting the things you didnt do!

h0tgl0v3r
03-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Besides, its far better to regret the things you did, instead of regretting the things you didnt do!

A big AMEN to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're gonna spend a long time in a retirement home sitting, staring off into space; drooling and thinking about what ya did and didnt do!!!!!
Give yourself some good shit to think about!!!

Hemingray Insulators
03-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Heminggray,
Thats great the ladies are noticing you,they may have caught on to how much you make????? we make a hell of a lot more than a gas attandent. But hey it could be because " hey brian you look sexy up their"... i hope that is it , you seem like a good guy and have a love for the job, and thats a good attitude in this field to have. The money is great, but if you look forward to going to your job every morning than that is worth more than the money. How many men can come home and say they love what they do??? Good luck with the ladies.

nope, don't think its cuz of the money i make. seeing as i aint even in the trade yet LOL. still in HS lol, although i do pretty good doin residential wirein till my time comes in only a little more than a year...........

tramp67
03-05-2007, 11:48 PM
A lot of guys get into the trade when they are older. The big thing is that you have the attitude that you are willing to learn, and don't mind working for someone young enough to be your kid. Make sure your wife would be ok with you being on the road a lot, hopefully she will travel with you! There's a big shortage of linemen, and there's always room for another good apprentice with a positive attitude and some basic mechanical aptitude. Give it a shot! You aren't the oldest guy to get into this profession by a long shot.

newbie22
03-07-2007, 08:54 AM
I've learned in life if you want somthing bad enough, you can do it. I'm 35 and have been looking at this profession for a couple of years. Took a helper class for 4 months, spoke to a few lineman, and really felt this could be the career i've been looking. I was also hesitant because of my age and lack of experience in a mechanical or electrical trade. I'm on a waiting list for a line school in L.A. and I'm taking any test I can to better prepare myself. The lineman I've spoke to were very happy with their accomplishments in the trade, and I think its paramount to be happy with your job.

scammy
03-11-2007, 01:37 AM
I was 40 when I started,,,its never too lateI also was a commo lineman in the army

PaLineman1775
03-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Hey Hemingray!
Saw your pics. Glad to see your interest. Now, keep your butt back and one knee locked when belting off. If your gonna reach for something, position yourself so you don't reach past the pole (butt in close to the pole). You really shouldn't climb those old railroad poles that are rotting, and if you do, don't drop existing wires off the pole. They may be the only thing holding it in the air. When your up the pole lock the knee in the direction your leaning. Always keep one knee locked. Enough of that, it's a job that pays well. And it pays to pay attention.