PDA

View Full Version : XLG Rubber Sleeves

ksu_cowboy
02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
I work for a investor owned utility out of Kansas. Although I'm not a lineman, I'm the chairperson of the local safety council. We have some linemen who have large biceps and when they wear their winter clothing and the XLG rubber sleeves, while doing hot work, they can't move. Thus creating a safety issue. The US presently has one manufacturer of rubber sleeves (Salisbury) and the largest sleeve they manufacture is a XLG. Although some sleeves say 2XLG or 3XLG, the numerical digit is the voltage class for that sleeve. Salisbury has stated that they will produce a XXLG or XXXLG, if they have a ASTM specification in hand stating that XXLG & XXXLG are approved sizes. I would like some responses from linemen who know of fellow linemen or themselves that have this problem with the rubber sleeves being too small, with their winter clothing. I would also like to know how you are presently dealing with this issue. Our company has a new representative to the ASTM Committee F18 on Electrical Protective Equipment for Workers and will be pursuing getting the ASTM Specification revised. If your employer has a representative to ASTM Committee F18 on Electrical Protective Equipment for Workers, I would encourage you to let them know this is a problem and help get the specification revised.

BigClive
02-27-2007, 03:45 PM
This applies to a lot of workwear. I'm not sure what planet most of the manufacturers are on, but some of us are pretty darn big and I'm talking bone and muscle, not fat!

On a plus side at least in America they DO make sizes that are more generous. I have a few American overalls/coveralls here in Scotland. They're a much better fit than the Chinese imports sold over here.

My pet niggle is work trousers. Here they are cut with a very narrow fit for the leg diameter of Mr Average. People like me who are always using our legs and can take leg based excercises at the local gym to the MAX find that work trousers tend to be a somewhat close fit. This is acutely embarrassing at times because the fit often makes ones little soldier stand to attention and then makes it clearly visible as a bulge in the fabric. The last time I wore such trousers was when an obnoxious woman saw my moment of manliness and shouted "Look at that guys hard on!" in a packed station. Not good. It's baggy skater pants or coveralls for me these days!

Koga
02-27-2007, 07:56 PM
I usually just take the stares and remarks as a compliment :D

Koga

dbrown20
02-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Clive, was the wee scotsman standing at attention? dbrown20

BigClive
02-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Clive, was the wee scotsman standing at attention? dbrown20

Aye. Just as well ah wisnae wearin' a kilt or the curtains wid be wide open. :D

I was just trying to find a polite alternative to raving hard-on, but enough about involuntary boners. What was this thread about? :rolleyes:

BigClive
02-28-2007, 07:38 AM
I'm going to point this thread back in the right direction. The sleeve size must be an important issue for the more muscular linemen. I can imagine how restricting it would be with padded winter clothing and undersized sleeves. I'd also guess that flexing a muscular arm in such a restricting sleeve might actually put the sleeve under stress. (I've had the sleeves on coveralls explosively split at the seam while lifting heavy stuff).

LINETRASH
03-10-2007, 11:39 PM
I hate 'em.

When I was with the contractor I only had to wear them on one project, and it was in the winter.

I had a helluva time wearing 'em with my winter coat. They wear you out from the effort of moving your arms. Especially since you should make a habit of being under the phase and only expose your forearms to the work. I can remember what a relief and pleasure it was to work the field and road phases, where you could boom up and work over the primary.

I remember this one dude from Maine, nice guy but short, had a hard time getting sleeves to fit, so he put them OVER his rubber gloves! Hey you gotta do what you gotta do! I also heard guys used to fight over the orange sleeves in the summer, as the black ones would cook you...

It may be a company requirement where you are to wear them, but I personally feel that if you rubber up properly you really dont need the damn things!

tramp67
03-11-2007, 03:46 AM
If you use them a lot, they really aren't much of a nuisance. I prefer to have them just for the extra little bit of protection from incidental contact in case something breaks or falls apart, whatever. They keep you a lot warmer in the winter too! Just something about relying on a couple inches of rubber between me and a phase....you need to consider your leather protectors as a conductor, as sweat, dirt, any other contaminants can easily track on them. The only thing you have isolating you when you wear just rubber gloves is the short bit of rubber cuff beyond your protectors.

KingRat
03-11-2007, 10:07 PM
couldn't agree with you more tramp- most lineman don't wear big bulky clothing under sleeves, they tend to keep moving to stay warm. Good idea to wear them with this new breed of lineman.

LINETRASH
03-12-2007, 01:11 AM
I respect your opinions on the subject of rubber sleeves, I dont doubt that you guys are used to wearing them and have learned to deal with it.

K. Rat, would you care to explain your remark about the new breed of linemen?

Dont worry man, I am not trying to set you up, I just wonder how the lineman situation is elsewhere in the country.

I have noticed some contractors here in S. Fla are wearing them. That never happened before.

I supect it is a new company policy to keep the contacts down as they only are able to get Latino linemen, with a few years experience, and they wish to keep "linemen" alive to avoid Osha fines.

Oopps! Did I open a can of worms?

Tough shit. "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

This is posted at the Statue of Liberty. I fundamentally believe and adhere to it.

Just dont send us your "linemen", as we have to dress them in rubber to keep them alive!

woody
03-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Trash...well where to start...if ya can stick it ya can sure as hell glove it! Seen TOO MANY GLOVERS TRY TO MAKE IT UP HERE. None succeded. woody

tramp67
03-13-2007, 12:29 AM
Trash...well where to start...if ya can stick it ya can sure as hell glove it! Seen TOO MANY GLOVERS TRY TO MAKE IT UP HERE. None succeded. woody

Some linemen that have spent years just sticking get real paranoid when they get in the primary zone and have to glove. A lot of guys that only glove get nervous too when they have to glove 24.9KV or 34.5KV. :eek: