PDA

View Full Version : Gear Questions: Boots and Climbers!

takelife
02-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Just a few in depth gear questions directed at some of the more experienced hands on these boards. Bear in mind these are being asked by someone with a tremendous interest in the field, and a fair amount of book knowledge on the subject to boot, but not so much as a single day in the field. Thanks in advance!

Boots (asked because a good pair of White’s or Wesco’s cost so goddamned much!)
- Do most lineman utilize two pairs of boots, in other words, one pair just for climbing and one for general work?
- Should boots generally be steel toe for company policy/OSHA reasons?
- (Specific) Does anyone know if large western outfits such as PG&E or WAPA require climbing boots to have steel toes?
Sorry for any repetition or pickiness in these questions, but I already own a well worn pair of Wesco 10” Jobmasters without the steel toe, and am ready for another boot purchase. And at $400 a pop you want to get this one right!

Climbers
- I’m as well read on the Buckingham and Bashlin hooks as anyone can be, but the mountain of options within the models disturbs me. So I‘ll ask about the most troubling: straight or offset? Is there really any reason to choose one over the other? I’ve heard it repeated a million times that it’s all a matter of personal preference, but there must be some reason for choosing one over another. Is it all about height, weight, foot size, bowlegged, ugly mugs, coke or pepsi….really, you’ve got me. So any info on what type of climber to choose would be a colossal help. And any other suggestions for a greenhorn in making this selection, such as advice on twisted shanks, gaff angles/types, material, pads, or anything else would be awesome.

Any other gear tips for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to any and all who respond to this voluminous thread.

dbrown20
02-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Try using Cheaper boots at first until you gain some experience. For hooks, see if other people will let you try theirs. At some of these training centers they have many brands and types of hooks that you can maybe try out.

I've only really used 3 types of hooks. The last ones were Bashlin Aluminums. Buckinghams for about 2 yrs. Brooks for about 15 yrs and then the Bashlins for about 20 yrs. Try as many as you can. dbrown20

electric squirrel
02-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Hey LIFE ,send your WESCO's in( back to the factory) and have them put a shank in 'em ,they'll do it for a few bucks. Or any good shoe / boot guy can do it for you.Climb'n wescos aint no different than those jobmasters you got they just have a little strip of metal in the arch.
Alot of guys are going towards those "SPORTIVA" hiking boot.I havent tried a pair yet but the guys I know swear by them.You might look at them, SPORT CHALET ,carries them.I think there is one in San Jose,and Antioch.

If you got questions about hooks go over to POLECAT lineman supply in Wilton,near Elk Grove , Lodi area, about 1 1/2 hours from the bay area.They will let you try on all kinds of hooks and belts and boots too!The guy who owns the place was PG&E lineman for a long time.That way you can see how they fit and maybe get a feel for them before you spend you hard earned money.I personaly use Bashlin offset with a twisted shank and a velcro pad,but I have also used kliens too.Keep ask'n, the guys will help you out.E.S.:cool:

dbrown20
02-28-2007, 03:25 PM
See there Life, all you need to know. Keep us posted on your progress. I tried some Klein hooks once. They're okay. You'll get all kinds of answers. Just keep asking questions and try different things. Each person has his own taste in this trade.

Hook length adjustment for your leg length is very important also. That guy that Squirrel mentioned ought to be able to line you out. Also of course belt size is very important also. dbrown20

takelife
02-28-2007, 10:02 PM
My thanks to both db and the squirrel, excellent advice and leads indeed. And that's why I love these boards, they're a wealth of information and questions just waiting to be asked. Keep up the good work.

BigClive
03-01-2007, 01:02 PM
What do the UK guys wear when they're climbing? I know they tend to use different types of climbers, but do they use a specific boot or just "steelies"?

h0tgl0v3r
03-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Clive;
Most of the guys I have worked with use HIAX boots. Many of the older guys rave about Redwings but nobody seems to be able to get them any more. (Guess they dont get on the net much).

I have a pair of Wescos I brought back from Canada nearly 4 years ago - ace!

Pootnaigle
03-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Based on my experience I would say hold off on the spensive boots til ya spend some time on a pole. If your a really heavy guy you may very well need a hi dollar pair. On the otherhand if you're a lightweight kinda feller you may well be able to climb in wellingtons or something similar. I have for years. Its important that whatever you use have a shank for the arch supports. I've seen guys buy 24' boots when they only needed 8's The type of pads you will use will also affect your choice of boots. Steel pads and Bashlin aluminum were my choice and served me well for over 30 years. Also one should bear in mind that todays lineman dont spend nearly the time on a pole that the old guys did.Now you can slip on a pair of rubber sleeves and spend an enjoyable day riding in the bucket

BigClive
03-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Clive;
Most of the guys I have worked with use HIAX boots. Many of the older guys rave about Redwings but nobody seems to be able to get them any more. (Guess they dont get on the net much).

I have a pair of Wescos I brought back from Canada nearly 4 years ago - ace!

I guess these are the redwings they are talking about...
http://www.redwingworx.com/

Were the Wesco's actually significantly better than traditional boots? Or is it just the American lineman image associated with them.

Apart from the reinforced arch support is there any other specific feature that makes the perfect line boot? I look at those ridiculous 16" plus boots and think I wouldn't have the patience to lace them up and then my feet would probably cook inside anyway. :)

Orgnizdlbr
03-01-2007, 09:21 PM

Were the Wesco's actually significantly better than traditional boots? Or is it just the American lineman image associated with them.

Apart from the reinforced arch support is there any other specific feature that makes the perfect line boot? I look at those ridiculous 16" plus boots and think I wouldn't have the patience to lace them up and then my feet would probably cook inside anyway. :)

Clive, ive worn Kliens, Lehighs, Knapps, redwings, halls, none compared with my wescos....

BigClive
03-02-2007, 08:19 AM
So apart from the arch support, what's the significant difference between a standard boot and one designed for the job? Is it the more tailored fit to provide solid leg support and reduce fatigue?

I don't use spikes. Any poles I work on are steel.

I have tried a set of Klein spikes though and found that the leg brace lined up perfectly with the inside ball of my ankle and made them quite sore to wear. Even the rigger boot padding made no difference. Then again, I guess there are spikes for every shape of foot and leg.

Orgnizdlbr
03-02-2007, 10:04 AM
So apart from the arch support, what's the significant difference between a standard boot and one designed for the job? Is it the more tailored fit to provide solid leg support and reduce fatigue?

I have tried a set of Klein spikes though and found that the leg brace lined up perfectly with the inside ball of my ankle and made them quite sore to wear. Even the rigger boot padding made no difference. Then again, I guess there are spikes for every shape of foot and leg.

Clive, there are two ways to purchase Wescos, one is an "off the rack" give me this size. The other is where wesco sends you instructions on how to trace your foot and measure your foot, ankle, and leg at a specific area. That is what my wescos are, they fit like a glove, the arch support is great, but heavy as hell so ya dont wear em unless up the pole. They aint cheap!!

As far as climbers, Ive always used Buckingham offsets, never had the problem of the shank hitting my ankle. I prefer climbers that are sized for the man, not the adjustable ones.

h0tgl0v3r
03-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by BigClive

I think they meant these; http://www.redwingshoe.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1051

They were (are) for me but.. different strokes etc...

I worked in the South West for 10 years on Towers and Swedish Climbers for poles and would not use Wescos for either!!!! for the towers I find them over supportive (and a pain to lace!!!) and for swedes they are way OTT; for spikes however, I have found nothing better so far(for me)

linemanjake
03-27-2007, 06:18 PM
TakeLife, get yourself two pairs of climbers a good pair of packs and some sturdy hiking boots. Alternate your climbers when you're on a climbing job and you'll extend the life of both pairs of climbers ten fold. Wear your packs ( I prefer Hoffman) on winter jobs and your hikers when you're working steel. Sliding steel will eat up a pair of lineboots quicker than working in the muck all day. We make good money in this trade, spend it on your feet and spare no expense when it comes to comfort you'll be glad you did.

ibew17hopeful
03-30-2007, 10:32 PM
After 13 years climbing trees with hooks on, I am now a lineman apprentice and my vote for a great long lasting boot has to go to Hoffman. hoffmanboots.com. Theres my 2 cents.

graybeard
03-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Had westcos and now have a pair of Hoffmans. Hoffmans are the best!! Bashlin offset with steel insert and velcro. I'ld go with Bashlins new light weight belt too, suppose to be alot cooler to wear too.

PA BEN
03-31-2007, 09:47 AM
I used Whites, tripple soles for 20 years loved them. I now use westcos, I have to say westcos break in easer. For winter and cold wet weather Whites linemen pack boot, it's like climbing on air. Bashlin offset climbers, leather offset pads I've tryed the velcro pads and they kill my legs, for the life of me I can't see how the guys like them. Miller backsaver full flote belt is the only belt I've ever used. I see alot of guys useing a ad on back belt the miller is built in. Good luck;)

west coast hand
04-30-2007, 02:13 AM
sportiva's are bad ass I will never wear line boots again there way more comfortable then any line boot they don't hold up as long as line boot but I'm all about comfort. Try them I'm pretty sure you'll love them you can buy them on sportiva.com.