PDA

View Full Version : Ontario - Red Seal Question

h0tgl0v3r
03-01-2007, 04:12 PM
I am a UK Lineman moving to Ontario in 4 weeks time.

Does anyone out there have any idea how to sit a Red Seal exam without being part of a training program? I have checked the Red Seal website and sent them a query but no news so far!:confused:

I am NOT looking for a shortcut or to cheat the system; I just cant seem to get any sennsible answers for how to go about getting started. I know E&USA run a Red Seal prep course but they arent running one til May - with a new wife to support and a new life to get off the ground I would like to get to work sooner than that if I can.

I have been a lineman in the UK since topping out in '92.

Any advice or guidance will be much appreciated.

Trampbag
03-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Try these,

International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
Local 353 - Toronto

1377 Lawrence Ave. East
Toronto, Ontario
M3A 3P8, Canada

Phone: 416 510-3530

Fax: 416 510-3531

Email: info@ibew353.org

Or

Local 636 IBEW

International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
Local 353 - Toronto

1377 Lawrence Ave. East
Toronto, Ontario
M3A 3P8, Canada

Phone: 416 510-3530

Fax: 416 510-3531

Email: info@ibew353.org

or

Power Workers' Union
244 Eglinton Ave. E.
Toronto, ON
M4P 1K2
Fax: 416 481-7115

Email: pwu@pwu.ca

If you get no joy PM me

old lineman
03-01-2007, 10:23 PM
If the union isn't helpful try this.
Jeff Pellar (416) 459-1267
Rod Findlay (519) 938-6911
Both of these gentlemen work for Hydro One 'Work Methods & Training' department.
Good luck.
The Old Lineman

BigClive
03-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Best of luck in your move over hotglover. I hope it all goes as smoothly as possible for you. I'm taking a trip to Australia in May with similar thoughts in mind.

h0tgl0v3r
03-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Tramp; Thanks, thats great and thanks for the info in your PM also.

Old Lineman; ..and thank-you sir!!

Clive; cheers!! If you get serious about the Oz move, let me know; I can put you in touch with a couple of UK lineman (here and in Oz) who have made or are making the same move - they can talk you throught the ins and outs(ooer!!) of the application etc!!

poletop22
03-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Yeah we are not that bad down here . Hotglover any of those linesman you know go to Perth Western Australia?

h0tgl0v3r
03-03-2007, 03:55 PM
have you run into Noel Chamberlain or Martin James??

poletop22
03-04-2007, 08:51 AM
No sorry but its a big place if they are here they are going to love the heat tomorrow 38C followed by 40C never really get used to it though...

Budda
03-10-2007, 06:56 PM
In Canada the Red Seal Program is Nation wide.

If you "sit to write" the gov can give you many different tests, up to 9 different ones. Some range from 33% underground to 25% transmission. If you are well rounded lineman it shouldn't be a problem. Why 9? That is the number of provinces participating in this program. You may write if you have 10,000 hrs in the trade, or have a qualification equivalent from another country. It costs $ 50.00 cdn and you need 70% for a passing grade.

Good Luck

BigClive
03-11-2007, 05:18 PM
I bet that's just lifted a weight off hotglovers shoulders!

h0tgl0v3r
03-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Budda;

Thanks, thats all useful stuff!

CanadianLineman;

Thanks for the info; I am aware that Red Seal is not mandatory in ON, but I figured it better to get it than not. I plan to sit Ontario Trades Certification and Red Seal Certification if I can.
While I am heading for Ontario initially, I am perfectly willing to consider anything!! I'd hate to think I missed an opportunity 'cos I didnt fork $50 and write a test.
I'm also concious of the fact that there will be stuff I haven't come across in the UK and I need to get myself up to speed on the differences; Trades Certification and Red Seal should help with that I hope.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Clive;

(Tongue planted firmly in cheek! (ooer)) ...Do I detect a hint of sarcasm sir?!!!!!:D

15 days to go.......

BigClive
03-11-2007, 09:52 PM
No sarcasm at all. From what I've seen of emigration the red tape is quite stifling. It all adds that bit of uncertainty to a major change in your life. The smoother things go the better.

I get the feeling that if you do encounter complications, this might be the very place to solve them.

h0tgl0v3r
03-12-2007, 10:09 AM
No sarcasm at all. From what I've seen of emigration the red tape is quite stifling. It all adds that bit of uncertainty to a major change in your life. The smoother things go the better.

Red tape?!! When dealing with government departments?!!! Surely you jest!!!!! (Heavy on the sarcasm!!)

I get the feeling that if you do encounter complications, this might be the very place to solve them.

Yup! - I've had more help here in the last week than I have from anywhere else since I started this whole emmigration lark!!!

14 days, 22hours........

h0tgl0v3r
05-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Well, if anyones interested; I made it!!!!!!

The wife and I got to Ontario March 28th, we are moving into our appartment June 1st (much to the relief of my buddy and his family who are putting up with us right now!!!!)
I got a job with a contractor, passed my AZ and am sitting my certification exam at the end of the month!!

Thanks to all for your advise and encouragement, things are working out just great so far.

:cool:

Budda
05-29-2007, 11:21 AM
If you don't mind, Who did you land a job with.

BigClive
05-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Well, if anyones interested; I made it!!!!!!

The wife and I got to Ontario March 28th, we are moving into our appartment June 1st (much to the relief of my buddy and his family who are putting up with us right now!!!!)
I got a job with a contractor, passed my AZ and am sitting my certification exam at the end of the month!!

Thanks to all for your advise and encouragement, things are working out just great so far.

:cool:

How about a blow by blow version with all the grief and relief you experienced along the way....

h0tgl0v3r
06-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Budda;
McG PoleLine

Clive;
We move into our new place tomorrow and my Red Seal exam is next Friday; once those 2 minor inconveniences are out of the way, I'll post a full outline, blood an' guts an' all, for those who are interrested!!!!

LostArt
06-02-2007, 07:20 AM
How about a blow by blow version with all the grief and relief you experienced along the way....

And not even mentioning the climate difference. Wow. That's a big jump Glover. Why Canada, may I ask? Not that there is anything wrong with Canada---I'd like to see the place myself--but I just wondered why that big of a jump? They got something up there we need to know about?????

:D

BigClive
06-02-2007, 12:54 PM
The traditional emigration destinations for Brits are Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Now that the property speculators have moved into those areas with force the choice of destinations might change.

LostArt
06-02-2007, 03:15 PM
The traditional emigration destinations for Brits are Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Now that the property speculators have moved into those areas with force the choice of destinations might change.

Aaah.....so you mean the cost of living is better in Canada than in Australia? I just wondered. I mean you are talking to someone that only moved 50 miles to the next job opportunity. http://www.avowners.com/forum/smileys/doh001.gif

:D

kaelc
06-06-2007, 05:49 PM
You'll want to be familiar with the Canadian terms we use for the exam.

Alberta apprenticeship has the glossary but no definitions unfortunately.
http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/index.html?page=trades/021/021_resources.html

If you have a City's & Guilds certificate you'll do well.

Cheers