PDA

View Full Version : rumers

scammy
03-11-2007, 01:33 AM
rumer has it ,,IBEW out of columbus ohio will hire 15000 apes this year,,,,,,nation wide?

scammy
03-13-2007, 11:28 PM
cant believe this has been on for a week and nobody replies,,,,,dont you guys want to work?????????scammy

BigClive
03-14-2007, 07:13 PM
So if they hire that many apes and they all go on to qualify as journeymen, will there be enough work for them all?

Are there enough journeymen at the moment to ensure that many apes get a proper training?

scammy
03-14-2007, 07:46 PM
wear I am sitting ,,I am usually the youngest man on the crew ,,I am 47, If we act now there is enough skill to teach ,,not in 10 yrs from now,,it will be like starting over in the 30s,,as for enough work,,I cant sleep at night because the phone rings at least once ,,mostly twice a night ,,at 21dollars an hr ,,I made 80 thousand last yr,in 6 mos ,,I was off for back surjury,scammy

Mike-E
03-14-2007, 08:39 PM
15,000 / 12 months in the year. If when you say "IBEW" in general then do you mean contractors/NECA or do you mean IBEW utilties and co-ops or both? If both, that could be a far fetched possibility if just NECA contractors which would be ALBAT, that would be over 1,000 apes in each session, so no on that. Might want to check your numbers. Maybe you meant 1,500? Rumors?

scammy
03-14-2007, 09:09 PM
you sound more right ,,the numbers are for nation wide ,,but still sounds steep,,,,,might be just a rumer I was hoping someone else might know or say ,,,,scammy

WAlinehand1970
03-15-2007, 11:56 PM
I know that up here in the Pacific NW, the construction JATC indentures about 75 to 100 new apprentices a year. I dont know how many utility app's are hired at each utility, but at Camp Rilea the class is usually about half const. and half utility. So, that would mean around 150 to 200, total for the NW each year. I know they would hire more, but there is a shortage of lineman to train them. We used to run a 1 to 1, journeyman to ape, ratio. But I believe that is going to 2 to 1, on cold work. WE NEED MORE LINEMAN.As the bull apprentice, I have been "field promoted" on cold distrubution and high line. I hated it when they did that to me, because I was (and still am) still learning the tricks. I would fight something, and struggle thru it. Then learn a little trick later, when I got my lineman back. Wont forget 'em though!!

PA BEN
03-16-2007, 09:07 AM
wear I am sitting ,,I am usually the youngest man on the crew ,,I am 47, If we act now there is enough skill to teach ,,not in 10 yrs from now,,it will be like starting over in the 30s,,as for enough work,,I cant sleep at night because the phone rings at least once ,,mostly twice a night ,,at 21dollars an hr ,,I made 80 thousand last yr,in 6 mos ,,I was off for back surjury,scammy

If you want to drag up, find a utitity in the pacificnorth west. $31.00 or more an hr dubble time for OT at most utilitys. And there right on the ocean for your sail boat. And the phone might not ring as much. The only draw back is the cost of a house.:D

scammy
03-16-2007, 08:25 PM
thanks ,,I am still looking,seems to be a respect problem here too,,,dont expect anyone to kiss my ass but I do expect to be respected for what I do