PDA

View Full Version : New Veterans

shaun
03-12-2007, 04:50 PM
I served in the Navy for 6 years and finished up in '98. At that time I was hired on to a utility that put us through our apprenticeship so didn't really think much about my GI Bill. I'm almost at my 10 year mark where I'll loose the benefit (but don't worry, I'm gonna start school shortly) and didn't want anybody else to miss out like I did. So, if you're hired on into a company that pays for your training, MAKE SURE you still contact the VA and check in with them. As long as the company cooperates, you may actually (it seems) be paid for the training as well as being paid for working. I'm not sure of the specifics but that's why I posted, SO YOU COULD CHECK INTO IT AND MAYBE MAKE SOME EXTRA MONEY. My apprenticship ended a while ago and the guy I spoke with (from the state I guess) said he could approved the benefit since I left but that the VA would only go back 1 year from today's or whatever date you call. If you're going into a school or private apprecticeship, you probably already know this but, contact the VA and see if it's an approved resource. Even if the school tells you no it isn't, do yourself a favor and call the VA. They'll look into why it isn't. AGAIN, I not sure of the specifics but, if anything, take this as a reminder that you paid into the GI Bill, and you're owed. It's my fault I hadn't looked into this about 9 years ago.

I'm headin back for a couple electrical courses at the local County College and back to flying for my commercial ticket, all approved by the VA. (I've had the private cert w/ IFR since I was 17.They won't pay for those anyways so I lucked out)

LINETRASH
03-12-2007, 05:28 PM
I believe you guys who had the balls and guts to serve our country should get every opertunity to get ahead.

We as a country owe you that. I would rather my tax dollars go to veterans who risked all by joining than some asshole draft dodging politician who is probably either a fag or a pedophile.

I would love some info on politicians who served VS those who managed to avoid it.

Anybody?

shaun
03-12-2007, 06:54 PM
I tried LT. I got alot of results but none that helped your question. I just wanted to post up a reminder to those out there with the GI benefits, that they paid into as well, to take advantage of it before it's gone. Unfortunately, as with me, we tend to forget, till it's almost to late.

dbrown20
03-12-2007, 07:16 PM
I believe you guys who had the balls and guts to serve our country should get every opertunity to get ahead.

We as a country owe you that. I would rather my tax dollars go to veterans who risked all by joining than some asshole draft dodging politician who is probably either a fag or a pedophile.

I would love some info on politicians who served VS those who managed to avoid it.

Anybody?

Not long ago I did a rundown on all the U.S. Senators. I could only find about 27 who had served in any kind of military role. Of those only a handful had actually had combat experience. Several had some reserve time which during Viet Nam was a pretty safe haven for avoiding combat. When Viet Nam happened Lyndon Johnson didn't activate the guard and reserves. He just doubled the draft.

The most striking thing was the large number who were prime age for Viet Nam. Most were rich boys and many graduated college about the middle sixties and then usually got another college deferment so they could go to law school. Some went straight from law school to a good job. I worked around a sub station hand once who got married during Viet Nam to avoid the draft. Then of course later they did away with that and only gave a deferment if you had a child. He said he was supposed to report for his draft physical on the day they found out his wife was pregnant. He was proud of it. dbrown20