PDA

View Full Version : lost but not forgotten Chris Hartsock

m0trh3d
03-22-2007, 09:56 PM
I can't believe that I have not seen anything on here about our Indianapolis Power and Light brother that lost his life on Sunday to an unfortunate accident that occured last Friday. Chris was killed after an easement rig tipped over, while hoisting up a transformer, and landed on him crushing his neck. As dangerous as our jobs are you can't ever drop your gaurd, even when you are performing basic tasks that you do every day. Everyone stay safe out there and give your loved ones a hug and please say a prayer for Chris's family!

tramp67
03-22-2007, 10:18 PM
This is the first I have heard about it. My thoughts go out to his family...
Any information on what caused the backyard machine to tip over? I've used them to set 50' poles before, and am wondering what would cause one of the machines to tip over from attempting to hang a transformer?? Mechanical failure or improper setup??

Orgnizdlbr
03-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Thoughts and prayers for a fallen brother. RIP

Bull Dog
03-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Sorry to hear this anything can happen and most likely will. My sympathies to this mans family.

wudwlkr
03-23-2007, 07:02 AM
From other articles I've read on this accident, it appears that probably the ground the machine was set up on was too soft and couldn't support the weight of the outriggers.

Stinger
03-24-2007, 08:28 AM
It ia always a sad day when we loose one of our brothers. My prayers to the family.

wudwlkr
03-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Latest info I found on this accident is now saying that the outriggers on the machine were not deployed.

tramp67
03-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Latest info I found on this accident is now saying that the outriggers on the machine were not deployed.

:eek: :confused:
I find it hard to believe someone would try to hang a pot without using the outriggers on one of these, was it their first time with one???
A very tragic accident that could have easily been prevented. At least now I feel more confident with setting poles with these machines - I was surprised to hear that it tipped over hanging a pot after all the poles I've set with them.

SouthernYankee
03-28-2007, 12:06 AM
It was a pad mount transformer, but not sure on size. Since the tv news photos that was seen on tv showed it was in a residential back yard, it might have only been a 25 or 50 Kva. The outriggers not deployed at the time when this tragedy occurred is the same story we heard. Don't know if they was simply thinking the machine by itself would have been stable enough or was trying to rush, but it only takes a few minutes to set those machines up.

No matter how it happened or why, it is still a sad thing for his family and for our industry.

If you go to this web site and type in IPL in the search field, it should be top listing.

http://www.wthr.com

No matter how it happened or why, it is still a sad thing for his family