PDA

View Full Version : Epcor Fatality

"little beaver"
03-23-2007, 06:35 PM
I've been in Edmonton on business. This happened a few blocks from where I was staying.

EPCOR FATALITY

An EPCOR power lineman fatally electrocuted on the job Wednesday has been identified as 41-year-old Eric Berggren of Sherwood Park.

Berggren was part of an EPCOR crew replacing a power pole near 107 Street and 51 Avenue when the deadly mishap occurred just after 1:30 p.m.

An auger was raised and as it went up it touched a live 8,000-volt power line, causing the line to burn and sever, said Barrie Harrison, a spokesman for Occupational Health and Safety.

The severed line fell to the ground and came into contact with a digger truck. Berggren was electrocuted when he came into contact with the truck, said Harrison.

Berggren was rushed to University hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Yesterday, the medical examiner confirmed the cause of death was electrocution.

In a message to EPCOR employees, EPCOR president and CEO Don Lowry called the tragedy a "deep loss" for EPCOR and expressed sorrow to Berggren's family, the company said in a news release.

Berggren had worked for EPCOR since 1998, the company said.

A first cousin of Berggren's, reached in Nova Scotia yesterday, was too shocked to comment. He said most of Berggren's family lives in Saskatchewan.

Occupational Health and Safety continues to investigate the fatality.

EPCOR spokesman Martin Kennedy said the last time EPCOR had a high-voltage incident that resulted in a fatality was in 1997.

Orgnizdlbr
03-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Sorry to hear that, thoughts and prayers for a fallen brother.

tramp67
03-23-2007, 11:28 PM
It's always saddening to hear about the loss of yet another brother. My thoughts go out to Eric's family.

Trampbag
03-24-2007, 03:50 PM
As well, my family’s thoughts and prayers go with Eric’s family.

NJlineman55
03-24-2007, 04:03 PM
My thoughts and prayers to his family and co-workers.

BigClive
03-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Was this a full-on burn shock or just at a level enough to cause fibrillation?

Dare I ask if this is another incident where an AED (defibrillator) could have made a difference?

"little beaver"
03-24-2007, 09:12 PM

Dare I ask if this is another incident where an AED (defibrillator) could have made a difference?

Good question, I'll see what I can do to get that information.

canuck1
03-27-2007, 02:31 PM
I work on the out skirts of Edmonton and have had a conversation with a person with Epcor. the crew was doing live line work when contact was made. when the flash happened everyone ran. he ran the wrong direction and jumped over the trailer hitch making contact with the trailer.very unfortunate accident but prventable. my guess is the operator and observer wern't watching close enough. lets all play safe. first time here. 29 years of experiance

tramp67
03-27-2007, 11:54 PM

Sounds like an AED probably would have saved his life.:mad:

Alberta Apprentice
03-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Shortly after the epcor fatality a young hand with Vallard construction was apparently burned after swinging a streetlight standard into a 25kV line near Leduc, just south of Edmonton. Maybe time to take a step back. My deepest sympathys go to all involved in both incidents.

WAlinehand1970
03-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Shortly after the epcor fatality a young hand with Vallard construction was apparently burned after swinging a streetlight standard into a 25kV line near Leduc, just south of Edmonton. Maybe time to take a step back. My deepest sympathys go to all involved in both incidents.

When I was in the service, and a bad safety trend started, we had what was called a "Safety Stand Down". We cancelled the flight schedule, cancelled the maintenence schedule, and concentrated on safety procedures for a couple of days. I dont know if we could organize something like that, but it wouldnt hurt to try.

graybeard
03-30-2007, 10:57 PM
I really feel sorry for the family and crew of the guys that get hurt. What do we have to do to stop these? As foreman and jls we have to teach apps good work habits and not unsafe shortcuts. No matter how good a lineman is we still have to watch out for each other. All companys care about is money and all we should care about is that at the end of the everybody on the crew goes home with all their fingers and toes.

CPOPE
03-26-2009, 06:16 PM
CA Utility Epcor faces safety charges
Violations connected to 2007 death
Edmonton Journal
March 25, 2009

The provincial government has charged Epcor with four health-and-safety code violations in connection to the death of a worker two years ago.

Eric Berggren, 41, was electrocuted March, 21, 2007, when an 8,000-volt powerline struck a vehicle he was touching.

The incident occurred in a back lane near 107th Street and 51st Avenue as Epcor workers were using a truck, or digger derrick, to install a new power pole, Alberta Occupational Health and Safety reported at the time.

A bucket being raised came into contact with the powerline, which severed and came down on the truck.

The charges, under the Occupational Health and Safety Code, include failing to ensure the health and safety of a worker, failing to ensure a hazard assessment was repeated prior to work beginning, and failing to provide proper safeguards for employees working around electrical cable.The charges will be heard May 12 in Edmonton Provincial Court.

Epcor spokesman Tim le Riche declined to talk about the details of the case, but said the company has been co-operating with the province.

"Epcor remains saddened by the loss of Eric Berggren. He is still very much missed by all our employees," le Riche said. "Epcor takes the health and safety of all our employees very seriously and we are doing everything we can to prevent a similar incident."

At the time of his death, Berggren had been an Epcor employee for nine years and had a five-year-old son

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Business/Epcor+faces+safety+charges+worker+death/1425828/story.html

old lineman
03-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Just for your information Epcor has sought out additional training which is an ongoing effort to upgrade all work methods.
The accident was tragic but is being used as motivation to develop new safety initiatives.
I'm sure they'll do what ever is necessary.
The Old Lineman