PDA

View Full Version : Another WannaBe Needs Help...

IronLine
03-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Hey ya'll. I'm a 24 y/o Ironworker apprentice looking to break into the linemans field. I tried for about a year and a half and got shot down by my local utility company and had to fall back on the Ironworker gig to stay livin. If I never another piece of rebar again I'll die a happy man. Anyways, seems the best route to take is to sign the out of work list at my IBEW Local, and look into schooling. I live in Western Washington and have done some looking into the Northwest Linesman College, and VOLTA based out of Oregon. Advice or info/experience from anyone attending either of these schools? Any information at all would be awesome, appreciate it guys.

electric squirrel
03-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Go to the IBEW and do whatever it takes to get in their program you cant do any better or safer!!!!!!E.S.

IronLine
03-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Up here in the Northwest the only apprentice program outside of local utilities is through the Northwest Line JATC. They run the VOLTA school, so I'm gunning for that. My only worry is its about 6 weeks shorter, and costs half as much as other schools I've seen. So my main concern is whether or not its accredited and the quality of education.

PA BEN
03-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Up here in the Northwest the only apprentice program outside of local utilities is through the Northwest Line JATC. They run the VOLTA school, so I'm gunning for that. My only worry is its about 6 weeks shorter, and costs half as much as other schools I've seen. So my main concern is whether or not its accredited and the quality of education.
I've heard Volta is the Best bang for the buck. :D

IronLine
03-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Awesome news PA I sure as hell hope so. I gotta tell ya'll its scary as shit walking away from a career like I've got, but I know its sure as hell worth it.

Anar
07-10-2009, 03:43 AM
So whats up on the update. Did you go to their school?

T-Man
07-15-2009, 08:05 AM
I gotta say line schools is pretty much a requirement unless you have some past expierience in at least a construction trade. But don't get me wrong the stuff you learn in the school is high level, main line construction on the higher voltages and a good bit of the "rosey" side of the job. When you walk in the door of the Utility or contractor that just hired you, you won't be doing any of that for a while and I would guess you can get a feeling of disalusion when the lead hands you a pick and spoon and says he want's a 5 foot hole dug right here next to that fence amongst all those bushes and I'll be back in an hour. or you spend days on end grunting for another guy who has no patience for your lack of knowledge about where they keep all the parts and pieces on the truck. Don't let that get you down you will use what they told learned in school but you'll have a way to go before they turn you loose with it. They want to get to know if you will cut it and if you can be trusted, if you don't give up, if you can work out problems safely. They want to see if you'll be a good team member or are you out for yourself. They won't shake your hand and give you the blueprints to a substation and tell you we need this by yesterday. . .that wont happen, so, yea this job has a lot of glory and reward but it comes when it's time and the reason is nobody wants to see the new guy get hurt. . . . If you let everyone know your a knob you'll be on your own before you know it and there arent enough poles to dig by hand that can take that feeling away I'm guessing. Line school is good stuff and the things you learn there will help a lot, but all the smarts in the world need a work ethic to go along with it or you can keep your smarts.

I'm done ranting, Good luck and keep those meters spinning