PDA

View Full Version : Where to get gear???

IronLine
03-29-2007, 10:50 PM
All right ya'll, heres another one for ya. Need to tool up, next quesiton, WHERE? A couple fellas told me to just buy my gear online but I'm not too comfortable with that. If this is the equipment thats gonna be holding my ass up in the air I want to make sure it fits and ain't gonna tear my feet and hips up like this damned ironworker gear does. Anyone know of any shops in the Northwest area? Washington Oregon Idaho? And if I am going to have to hop online to get some of the gear, any good sites? Lookin to get quality gear without getting raped on the price. Thanks.

Schmitty
03-30-2007, 12:23 AM
i buy alot of stuff from www.fwlsp.com they always seem to have pretty good prices and has great customer service. never had a problem with them by ordering online either. hope this helps.

WAlinehand1970
03-30-2007, 11:24 AM
i buy alot of stuff from www.fwlsp.com they always seem to have pretty good prices and has great customer service. never had a problem with them by ordering online either. hope this helps.

They will give u a union discount, too. But ya gotta call and ask for it. I used to have a discount sheet from them, somewhere around here. Its not on everything, but it covered the required tools. bout 10% i think.

Schmitty
03-30-2007, 12:27 PM
They will give u a union discount, too. But ya gotta call and ask for it. I used to have a discount sheet from them, somewhere around here. Its not on everything, but it covered the required tools. bout 10% i think.

i didn't know they did a union discount. thanks for the info, i'll make sure to ask next time i put in a order.

WAlinehand1970
03-30-2007, 02:55 PM
i didn't know they did a union discount. thanks for the info, i'll make sure to ask next time i put in a order.

might b for apprentices only. Not really sure. But its worth checking. I just got a new bucket apron from them this morning in the mail. The price was 20 bucks less than WSE's, so I didnt even worry about the discount.

Schmitty
03-30-2007, 03:18 PM
might b for apprentices only. Not really sure. But its worth checking. I just got a new bucket apron from them this morning in the mail. The price was 20 bucks less than WSE's, so I didnt even worry about the discount.

not really sure if i know what WSE is. do they have a web site?? i just got a new bucket apron and tool bag through farwest last week. they have always been good to me for prices and getting stuff to me quick. but if you have a site for WSE, i'd sure like to check it out. thanks man

KingRat
03-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Do they have pawn shops in your area? I have seen brand new belts sometimes still in the box- Have one of your co-worker's, preferably a lineman check it out for you first-you can always buy a safety strap- just a thought-

IronLine
03-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Right on guys, its good to see brothers helpin' wannabe punks like myself out. Bustin' my ass and my pocket book trying to get applications into every damn line school there is right now. Got my name on the out-of-work list at my local, kind of sucks that every JATC program I've seen won't even look at your app if you don't have schooling or experience, but I guess they just want to make sure that only those who have a chance get in. Thanks again ya'll.

Stick-it
03-30-2007, 10:01 PM
WSE = Western States Electric. They were bought out and are now called Hughes. I wouldn't be too surprised if you couldn't find them online. As far as I know they are pretty much a small northwest outfit.

Schmitty
03-30-2007, 11:12 PM
WSE = Western States Electric. They were bought out and are now called Hughes. I wouldn't be too surprised if you couldn't find them online. As far as I know they are pretty much a small northwest outfit.

thanks for the info stick-it. i'll do some searching around and see if i can find it. it's always nice to be able to shop around and see what everybody's got to offer.

graybeard
03-30-2007, 11:20 PM
You might try American Safty. You can go online and the last cataloge Igot from them has a new app complete set up boots and all.

PA BEN
03-31-2007, 07:24 PM
http://www.hallssafety.com/prod_menu.htm

IronLine
04-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Yeah Farwest Line Specialities does give like a 4 or 5% discount if you are an apprentice, if you order online just add that information in (that you're an apprentice and who you work for, or even if you are just attending school) and they take it off when they actually run your order through. Good thing I checked with the Southeast Lineman Training Center though, I guess they grab tools for you cause they get a massive discount from someone else. Was damn near ready to hit the order button at FWLSP when I got the email!

markwho
04-15-2007, 02:38 AM
Hi IronLine, We use FWLS at work and will be ordering some climbing gear from them for my son. Will you be attending SLTC? My son is registered there for the fall session. I know they said they have tools available but never reallly inquired about what they have and the prices. He is going to be getting a miller belt and klein climbers. He likes these the best so far. I have also ordered items from Hoffman and Hall's in the past.
Mark

IronLine
04-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Well I talked to David Powell, his email address is on the SLTC website under the contacts section. I didn't get an exact quote but I told him what I priced all of my gear out at and he said they had it beat easy. The entire list of tools and gear outlined in SLTC's manual is provided by the school up to and including hard hat and and selection of boots. It sounds like they take care of ya pretty good down there. I'm headin' down in about 2 weeks, go a nice little drive from Tacoma, WA ahead of me so we'll see how it goes!

sawman
08-30-2007, 12:09 AM
You might want to look at www.cottersales.com
Decent prices. & no hidden shipping cost.

cublooking4job
08-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey I am just a cub so I dont really know my ass from a hole in the ground, but I do know that I spent the extra buck on my boots. I ordered them from Hoffman Boot's which is a company out of Idaho. They have a triple shank and are 5 times better on the arches of my feet than Red Wing's. Hope it helps. www.hoffmanboots.com

jack7474
08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
I know how you feel about buying equipment and not being able to try it on or at least look at it first. Highline Equipment is just outside of Portland and they usually have a good inventory. I believe they also have an apprentice discount.