PDA

View Full Version : So Cal Edison death

electric squirrel
03-29-2007, 11:04 PM
I heard an ape for SoCal Edison was killed near Los Angeles on tuesday night.
Story I heard was he was in the bucket drilling holes for riser struts, he had an electric cord up in the bucket ,came into contact with a primary phase on the shoulder.Dont know anymore info came from an Edison lineman I know. E.S.:cool:

Bull Dog
03-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Is this for real dam its getting bad if it is. Same question what was he doing in the primary zone? with a corded drill no less. Im sorry for this man did he have a family?

tramp67
03-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Another one of those bad streaks.:mad: My thoughts go out to his family and friends.
Why would anyone have an electric drill in the bucket?:eek: Hydraulic drills are the norm where I'm from. The newer cordless drills also work great if you don't have lots of holes to drill, and probably cost less than the 120 volt drill + extension cord + inverter.:confused:

PA BEN
03-30-2007, 08:07 AM
I heard an ape for SoCal Edison was killed near Los Angeles on tuesday night.
Story I heard was he was in the bucket drilling holes for riser struts, he had an electric cord up in the bucket ,came into contact with a primary phase on the shoulder.Dont know anymore info came from an Edison lineman I know. E.S.:cool:
Where was his cover, looks like his Journeymen showed him how to take short cuts. It's a sad day to lose an apprentice like this. Our prayers go out for his famility.

WAlinehand1970
03-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Is this for real dam its getting bad if it is. Same question what was he doing in the primary zone? with a corded drill no less. Im sorry for this man did he have a family?

Good questions Bull Dog. I feel for the man's family, and for the crew that he worked with. they have to deal with the decisions they made.
We need to know more about this one, keep us informed of the investigation, please.
Am i the only one who is seeing a bad trend here? How many have we lost this year?:confused:

electric squirrel
03-30-2007, 04:54 PM
I dont know anymore than I told you guys.I heard it first at the local jatc,then seen a neighbor that works for Edison as a lineman and he comfirmed it.

Its horseshit that anybody takes short cuts ,although I'am just as guilty.I for sure wont say I'am perfect.

They pay us a lot of money to do this job,and if it takes longer than expected then they pay us twice as much!!!!! Dont slow walk , but why in Gods sakes hurry??????????? I've seen one death,and had a good buddy die, in my appreticeship so far,,,,, both from trying to cut a fat hog in the ass!!
It dont work!!!!! E.S.:mad:

Spaniard
03-31-2007, 12:16 AM
The Southern California Edison Apprentice who died Monday night (3/26/07)due to an accidental primary contact was named Erik Maciel, he was a 6th Step Apprentice and a good one from what I understand.

He was a few months away from Topping out, just recently engaged and soon to buy a house for his bride to be. He is survived by her and his 3 brothers and a sister and of course his Mom & Dad. The men that worked with him are taking it pretty hard as would be expected.

From what I know and that is mostly second hand, the contact was made from 12 KV primary on a pole that he was not working on. I guess he was using the 120Vac Drill with an extension cord to the truck which was grounded through the outriggers, a path to ground you know the rest. I guess they didn't have anything else, maybe? I don't know and I can't answer that:confused:

There were 4 people on the ground, 3 Journeyman and a Groundman or Apprentice, not sure. The Foreman went back to the yard to get more material for the job from what I understand and was not there when it happened. The Foreman rode with Erik to the Hospital and I guess he died on the way with the Foreman next to him. Tough memory to carry no doubt, I feel for him.:(

I guess they did not see him approach the primary that was not covered as he was backing down. The primary was several feet away from the new pole they were transferring from, plenty of spread, but accidental contact was made neverless. It happened and nothing we can do or say will change that fact.

Alot to learn and relearn from this tragedy and that it only takes a second to lose your life in this line of work and a lifetime to ask why?

The Funeral Service is tomorrow at 4 PM in Fontana. I didn't really know him, but I will be attending either way to pay my respects to a little brother, a little IBEW Brother I didn't get a chance to know.

Men learn from this accident and be safe out there and please look out for each other, it's our job, we are our brothers keeper, that's what the "Brotherhood" in IBEW means.

Rest in Peace Erik...

Regards, Spaniard
Local 47, SCE

Spaniard
03-31-2007, 08:22 AM
In case any of you brothers would like to attend:

Erik Maciel's Funeral will be held today (3/31) at the Kingdom Hall of Jehova's Witness, 8970 Live Oak Ave., Fontana, 92335. Time of 1600.

There will also be a reception immediately following the service at 13426 Cajon Creek Court in Rancho Cucamonga.

The Family appreciates any of his co-workers to attend, however they respectfully request that no SCE Vehicles with company logos be present.

Be safe guys.

Spaniard...

Orgnizdlbr
03-31-2007, 08:24 AM
The Southern California Edison Apprentice who died Monday night (3/26/07)due to an accidental primary contact was named Eric Maciel, he was a 6th Step Apprentice and a good one from what I understand.

He was a few months away from Topping out, just recently engaged and soon to buy a house for his bride to be. He is survived by her and his 3 brothers and a sister and of course his Mom & Dad. The men that worked with him are taking it pretty hard as would be expected.

From what I know and that is mostly second hand, the contact was made from 12 KV primary on a pole that he was not working on. I guess he was using the 120Vac Drill with an extension cord to the truck which was grounded through the outriggers, a path to ground you know the rest. I guess they didn't have anything else, maybe? I don't know and I can't answer that:confused:

There were 4 people on the ground, 3 Journeyman and a Groundman or Apprentice, not sure. The Foreman went back to the yard to get more material for the job from what I understand and was not there when it happened. The Foreman rode with Eric to the Hospital and I guess he died on the way with the Foreman next to him. Tough memory to carry no doubt, I feel for him.:(

I guess they did not see him approach the primary that was not covered as he was backing down. The primary was several feet away from the new pole they were transferring from, plenty of spread, but accidental contact was made neverless. It happened and nothing we can do or say will change that fact.

Alot to learn and relearn from this tragedy and that it only takes a second to lose your life in this line of work and a lifetime to ask why?

The Funeral Service is tomorrow at 4 PM in Fontana. I didn't really know him, but I will be attending either way to pay my respects to a little brother, a little IBEW Brother I didn't get a chance to know.

Men learn from this accident and be safe out there and please look out for each other, it's our job, we are our brothers keeper, that's what the "Brotherhood" in IBEW means.

Rest in Peace Eric...

Regards, Spaniard
Local 47, SCE

Thanks for the info....

BigClive
03-31-2007, 10:06 PM
This one sounds like it was a genuine accident. Terribly sad.

I get the feeling that an AED would not have been of use here since it sounds like it was more of a destructive current path.

JPSURF
05-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Just so you know a little more info for all the Monday night Quarterbacks out there. They inner set a pole 5ft taller than existing. The new pole was off set to one side 2ft. They had put one side out on temporary wing arms giving 8ft of clearance to the new pole. The other side they scabbed an arm on the existing arm and then put another wing arm on giving 10 1/2ft clearance from the new pole. All this clearance was so they could string in new conductor. The conductor was already in above him when the accident happened. You just have to think that he had forgot about the existing wire that was spread and swung into the primary mind you with 18 1/2ft of clearance between the two inside conductors. Trust me there are still people asking themselves plenty of questions about this accident and it is a shame that a young man lost his life. So brothers and sisters look out for each other and pay attention to every move we make!

west coast hand
05-08-2007, 07:34 PM
where did this happen i havent herd anything about a death is so cal?????

longshadowstudio
07-26-2010, 05:40 PM
I am trying to learn how and or where to get in touch with the SoCal Edison lineman's family... as a widow of a SCE lineman I want to get in touch... I, as some of you may know, have a fund for injured lineman's assistance and for widows and familys of fallen linemen...
serqaphine@longshadowstudio.com or
818-762-0236 ex 3