PDA

View Full Version : 10 questions

Powerlineman Newcommer
04-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Hey everyone,

I have been long wanting to be a Power Lineman. I am currently a Sophmore in High School, but i have been doing alot of studying to Launch my career as a power lineman. I wil be enrolling in a 2-year program beginning in Aug. I am having to write an essay about my career choice for a class i am taking, so if any one can answer them, it will be a great deal of help. Not only for my Essay, but for a future refrence of what it takes to be a power lineman. Thank you.

1. What kind of training have you gone through/have to go through in order to be a power lineman?

2. What were you expecting or what should i expect as becomming a power lineman?

3. Where should i sey my goals as to be coming a power linaman?

4. What kind of plan should i have before attempting to launch my career?

5. Where did you or should i expect to be after so many years into the career

6. What are benefits in the power linman field?

7. What are some special areas i should have some expeirence in that will help me as a power lineman?

8. Would you say that being a power lineman is worth it?

9. What could you tell me about this field of work that would help me from finding out the "hard way"?

10. (For those with family) Do you say that Power Lineman is a good line of work to support a family?

**Once again..i thank any one who gives the time to answer

LostArt
04-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Newcomer, you posted in the linework some 10 questions, well.....I'm repeating mine. ;)

1. What class do you have to write this in?

2. What state do you live in?

3. Why would you be interested in this line of work?

4. How did you find this site?

5. How long have you been interested in this type of career?

6. Do you like the outdoors? Why?

7. Share with us the first time you saw a POWERlineman work.

8. What is your favorite subject in school?

9. Do you personally know a lineman?

10. How many siblings do you have?

**Once again, I welcome you to Powerlineman.com....

shaun
04-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Hey everyone,

I have been long wanting to be a Power Lineman. I am currently a Sophmore in High School, but i have been doing alot of studying to Launch my career as a power lineman. I wil be enrolling in a 2-year program beginning in Aug. I am having to write an essay about my career choice for a class i am taking, so if any one can answer them, it will be a great deal of help. Not only for my Essay, but for a future refrence of what it takes to be a power lineman. Thank you.

1. What kind of training have you gone through/have to go through in order to be a power lineman?

2. What were you expecting or what should i expect as becomming a power lineman?

7. What are some special areas i should have some expeirence in that will help me as a power lineman?

9. What could you tell me about this field of work that would help me from finding out the "hard way"?

10. (For those with family) Do you say that Power Lineman is a good line of work to support a family?

1. Well, we're all different..a bit. I was hired into a utility out of the US Navy. The place I work at set me to school. It goes in steps and total took almost 5 years to reach," top step."

2. Other than being an electrician in the NAV, I was really expecting too much. I was really shocked (not that shocked) to see how it al works. Although the principle's are the same (electricity) the job is wayyyyy diiferent.

3. I'd say, as with any job, set your goals high. Don't settle for crap and put forth an effort. Learn what people teach you and apply it to your job. Be creative. Safety is a BIG KEY in this job!! You MUST have a good head on your shoulders.

4. Kinda seems like you're plannin already. I dunno, Graduate?

5. That's a tough one. Depends on where you wind up I guess?..

6. Do you mean benefit's or job satisfaction? Benefits may include: paid vacation, sick time, retirerment plans (several) but no pension for me, no medical coverage after I retire.) The beni's are still better than most, I guess but not what they used to be. Job satisfaction is awesome though! It hit's people hard when they are out of electric. To be the one on a storm and closin in a cutout or re-energizing an area, and people cheer, girls blowin kisses at ya or the ole frmer bringin ya in for dinner and a beer (non alcoholic... :rolleyes: ) is woth it in my eyes.

7. Depends. Go to a Line School and LEARN. Your shop teacher isn't gonna cover this type of stuff.

8. ABSOLUTELY.

9. Even after you know something, You don't know Jack. Learn from your fellow lineman and especially the old timers. They've seen it 100 times over and could do it in thier sleep. Then again, be smart enough to know what's best for you and don't get blown up.

10. No. Not even at a Utility.

Hope this helps a bit.

playtime
04-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey everyone,

1.) Everyone got to where they are via different routes/ situations. Today most lineman go through some type of lineman class in college or technical school. Then they go through a 4 year apprenticeship training program. This includes bookwork as well as on the job experience.

2.)Expect to work long hours in the worst weather you can imagine. Depending upon where you are located that could be extreme cold or heat. Dangerous situations that could include electrical hazzards, animals, weather, and the general public. On the upside expect a feeling of accomplishment that comes from doing one of the best jobs in the world. A new "family" that will watch your back and be there for you when you need them. You will spend as much time or more with this new family than you will spend with the family you have now.

3.) This is more of an individual answer. It depends on who you are. Are you a leader that wants to be a forman or superintendent someday? This may not be an easy question if you are not familiar with the way the system works. It may be easier to answer after you have seen it first hand. Working safe and making sure you and your coworkers make it home everyday is always the number one goal of any lineman.

4.) Where I'm located some of the high schools have a "shadow" program where they go to work for a day with someone that is in the field they are interested in. The next step would be to contact a school that has a lineworking program and check that out.

5.)You should be ready to take your journeyman linemans test in 4-5 years.

6.) You will learn what it means to do an honest days work and be proud of your accomplishments. You will stay fit both physically and mentally. As much of this job if not more is dependant on how well you think your job through and then preform it. There are many more but I will let some of the others weigh in on their thoughts.

7.)Some electrical background is good, but you wil also need some math/algebra, good people skills, and be in shape.

8.) If you have a long career in this field you will ask yourself this question alot. I did and the answer was always yes. This is not a occupation that not everyone can do. It takes a special breed. Read the posts on other forums and learn a little from the guys talking on there. My satisfaction from this job comes from working storms. I love the appreciation that most people have when you turn their lights back on. Electricity is a service that everyone has become dependant upon and they forget that until they are without it.

9.) Safety first. Don't be afraid to ask questions about anything and everything. Ask what they are doing and why. No dumb questions in this line of work. There are tasks done daily that if you make a mistake you may not get a second chance. There are a lot of men that didn't have the luxery of learning the hard way.

10.) Absolutely. Almost all line workers make enough to live comfortably with their families. They are not millionaires but comfortable.

This is my personal outlook at these questions. I'm sure you will get more opinions. Next time you post on here though you are going to be limited to a max of three questions.:)

Genoin NW
04-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Here is what my company has done with interested high school kids that has interests in linework.
We invite them for three days at our company.
The first day is in the office to oversee business activities... engineering, customer service, administration, and related areas.
The second day in the the warehouse to oversee the material issue to crews, stocking shelves and related activities.
The third day is in the field with the crews overseeing general line work and getting some general hands on.

I would encourage you to contact your local utility to see if they can arrange a similar visit for yourself. I'm sure all of your questions will be answered many different ways.

Good luck

Sparks33183
04-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Newcomer, you posted in the linework some 10 questions, well.....I'm repeating mine.

1. What class do you have to write this in? Intro to lineman

2. What state do you live in? New Jersey

3. Why would you be interested in this line of work? Cuz its best trade to work in

4. How did you find this site? Research

5. How long have you been interested in this type of career? 3 yrs

6. Do you like the outdoors? Why? Yes, Cuz u cant beat nature

7. Share with us the first time you saw a POWERlineman work. When i first posted for help and got many responces..which i thank everyone

8. What is your favorite subject in school? school is over with dude

9. Do you personally know a lineman? yes

10. How many siblings do you have? one brother one sister

**Once again, I welcome you to Powerlineman.com....thank you

BigClive
04-30-2007, 08:28 AM
6. Do you like the outdoors? Why? Yes, Cuz u cant beat nature

Ummm, I think PA BEN has demonstrated you can. :D

Sparks33183
04-30-2007, 08:41 PM
ooops see what happens when u dont proofread...it was supposed to say enjoy nature i think i forget....my bad....

LostArt
04-30-2007, 09:27 PM
8. What is your favorite subject in school? school is over with dude

Okaaaaay DUDE. Hehehehe...........

I've never been mistaken for a "dude" except on this site.....by newbies, of course. :D

Good luck to you Sparks!!!

Sparks33183
05-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks man.....And how long will i hold the name "newbie" i get called kid all the time by guys on the job, even though my name is in black marker on my hardhat!!!!

Sparks33183
05-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks man.....And how long will i hold the name "newbie" i get called kid all the time by guys on the job, even though my name is in black marker on my hardhat!!!!

LostArt
05-01-2007, 05:42 PM

:D I really don't know. I was just joking.

I think I was called a kid into my 40's. Don't know how old you are, but hope that at least tells ya about the age range these days for being called a kid. :D

BTW, you can call me LA. Most of the DUDES here call me that. Heh.

Sparks33183
05-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Well im 23...so about another 25 years i might start being called my real name or a nic name if im giving one....so at least i know how long it will take...takes buddy!!!!lol:D

LostArt
05-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Well im 23...so about another 25 years i might start being called my real name or a nic name if im giving one....so at least i know how long it will take...takes buddy!!!!lol:D

Ummm.........Sparks is not your nickname? The Boss farms out so many nicks that I forget his linemen friends/co-workers real names! No lie. :D

dirtdobber
05-02-2007, 07:57 PM
La, I dont think he gets it that you are a very nice young lady. looks like he wants to be called sparks may not be a good idea.lost the name kid now its old man like 41 is old but today and the standards were under go figure.:) :)

suddsy
05-02-2007, 09:20 PM
sophomore, cool. so your 16 give or take and yu know what you want to do. thats awesome. the biggest bit of advice I could give you is don't act like your average 18 year old. I have had the pleasure of working with a couple of kids straight out of high school and they did well right off then the money goes to there heads and they decide to be smarter than they are, and it bites them in the ass so here are some tips to avoid that trap. apply for your apprenticeship out of area or even the state. when you hang out with the same friends do the same thing you will tend not to mature like a man but be a boy in a mans body. for gods sake move out from moms house and dont let her make your lunch. Last but not least remember there are alot of grown men (and I suppose women) who have familys and responsabilitys, that would kill for a job like being a lineman. be grateful for the help you get dont expect the help you dont. making it as a lineman is requires alot of hard work and dedication. the nights that some guys spend out are probably better spent staying in and studying, knowing your stuff cold will be a lot better in the long run

LostArt
05-03-2007, 09:57 AM
La, I dont think he gets it that you are a very nice young lady. looks like he wants to be called sparks may not be a good idea.lost

LOL! Kinda like flashburn, I suppose Dobber? Or are we all talking something else?? **cough** No, my mind isn't in the gutter, however, I never know with you boys! :D

Oh, and "boys" is just generally speaking, btw. ;)

dirtdobber
05-03-2007, 04:51 PM
La, I believe you and I are on the same page.but as you said you never know.I have gone to reading these posts and not responding much but still enjoy swamprats posts. gitem swamp!!!!:) :eek:

Sparks33183
05-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Im lost :(

LostArt
05-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Im lost :(

Well, I'm a lineman's wife Sparks. Not a dude. Now if you are lost about that, then well.........I don't know what else to say! :D

Now, I probably should let Dobber explain the age thing. Since his is probably MUCH older than I. *coughs and then grins mischeiviously*

Now, you never explained to me the Sparks in your name........so, I'm still LOST. ;)