PDA

View Full Version : Interview with NW Line JATC.

Petelineman
04-20-2007, 03:22 AM
Well I have my application ready to submit to the NW Line JATC here in Portland. Just wondering if anyone could give any pointers for the interview. What would be the best material I look over to prepare me for the interview. I also have pole climbing experience with the cable company I used to work for, will that count for anything? What kind of questions do they ask?

Thanks for all of your input.

Genoin NW
04-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Your best assett is yourself. You have to go in confident and sell your past experiences that can be related to this trade. If possible get on the books as a groundman and go on the crews and learn as much about linework as you can. Find a lineman to mentor you and ask many questions. In this apprenticeship you will need good math skills, physical abilities, positive attitude and a great desire to learn. Letters from past employers and co-workers is helpful too.
I wish you luck and hope you do well. This is a great trade to be in!

WAlinehand1970
04-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Geno is right, go in with confidence. But dont be cocky or arrogant. If you can get on with a line crew as a grunt that would be the best experience you could get. Also, make sure you have a Class A CDL, with air brakes, first aid and cpr, flagger card, having these qualifications makes you more employable and shows dedication to wanting an apprenticeship.
The most important question they are going to ask you is " Why do you want to be a lineman?" The answer to that is inside you, look deep and you will find it. If the first answer you can come up with is " for the money", go be a narrowback.:cool:
Good luck, hope you do well.

WAlinehand1970
04-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Hey, Pete. Another little piece of advice. Beings how you are not a Lineman, why dont you show a little respect to those here that are, and change your name. We dont call ourselves lineman, until we are one. Thanx, Pete. and again, good luck