PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Study Material, Ideas, & Info

lager
04-25-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm new to the board and this is only my second post. I recently was put on the NEAT waiting list and I'm patiently, but axiously, waiting for the call.
While I wait, I was wondering if you guys had some suggestions of what I could study to help prepare for my appreticeship.
*What books to purchase for reference?
*What kind of knots to practice tying?
*PT that I could do to perpare for the job (Physical Training).
*Or anyhing else that would be helpful in my preperation.
I did recently get my class B with air brakes CDL Permit. I'm looking for any info, suggestions or ideas I can do to get ready to better myself for a career as a lineman. I can't wait to get the ball rolling and be a part of this brotherhood!!

Thanks in advance for any help,
Lager

dbrown20
04-25-2007, 09:15 PM
a PM bud. Check it out. dbrown20

Petelineman
04-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Could you forward that Pm to me also please. I am also new to this board and am in the northwest. Was needing some info on how to get started preparing myself for this career before the interview.

Can't wait to get started!

dbrown20
04-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Wasn't anything fantastic. I just told him to acquire "The Linemans and Cablemans Handbook" by Kurtz and Shoemaker. You can get a cheap used one on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. I prefer the 6th edition. dbrown20

IronLine
04-26-2007, 01:59 PM
First off where you at in the Northwest? Second, from what I've heard from other hands start prepping yourself physically for upper body strength and legs. Endurance and stamina will help a lot too. As for books, I've seen the book dbrown was talking about and since I've got no background at all in electricity it made me feel dumb. I picked up a copy of The Guidebook for Lineman and Cableman by Wayne Van Soelen. It was about 60$ brand new from Borders. Its a very basic and elementary approach to teaching linework, at least it seems that way to me. Its been pretty reader friendly to me! Good luck man, if you want to stay in the area you've got VOLTA through the Northwest Line JATC down in OR, or you've got the Northwest Lineman College out in ID or Northern CA. I got accepted into the Southwest Line Training Center down in GA and I jumped on the chance to get the HELL OUTTA THE NW. Tired of the rain man!

DaveQ
04-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Here are some books we used in class: Lineman and Cableman's Feild Manual, Field Manual for Powerline Workers by Wayne VanSoelen, Electrical Essentials for Powerline Workers 2nd Edition by Wayne VanSoelen and last but not least, Transformation for Lineworkers 1st Edition by Alexander publications. We also worked on Bowline knots (regular, on a bite, doubleand running) grapevine, tauntline, 1/2 hitch also eye splice, back splice and a splice. Some of those books I hear are used in apprenticeships and I think they are going to be good resourses for later on. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Dave

lager
04-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks Guys!!!! That was a lot of info FAST!!! I really appreciate it. I never even heard of some of those knots, I'll look them up. If anyone has anything else to add, please do. The more insight the better. I'm looking forward to getting started, just wish I would have done it when I was a littile younger! Better late than never!