PDA

View Full Version : Union Contractor Vs Local Utility

rustey
05-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Who's better to work for and why? Is the pay similar? Where do you get the most experience and training? I'd like to get into linework and want to know your opinion. Personally I don't mind travelling and would like to work on all types of equipment. thanks.

dirtdobber
05-03-2007, 04:58 PM
if your young with no wife or children UNION CONTRACTOR. get out there and see the sites,as for learning it will come in time just remember you never stop learning. no one knows it all the more you learn the more valuable you become.as you get older the power co. is where you should be.good luck.:) :)

Sparks33183
05-03-2007, 06:11 PM
If u want to do line work, go for the utility...If u wanna be a great lineman and learn it all, go union....i just started im 24 union apprentice and i cant wait to travel....This is the best job in the world...I love it...

lineman-up
05-08-2007, 04:12 PM
if ya have the chance to go union that will be a good job but there are plenty of really good non-union contractors out there too. like the others said if your young, go cowboy for a while then settle in to a utility later on when you get sick of living in the super eight.

lineman-up

markwho
05-09-2007, 12:14 AM
They each have their pros and cons. I work for a small utility and am very happy with my work. We are union, though not construction. There seems to be some differences in work practices though. You can be a good lineman wherever you work. I do feel that the contractors don't experience the troubleshooting aspect of the job that utility workers usually see. As a small utility we see and do all. It is just recently that we have contractors on our property to do some major renovation work upgrading feeders. We can do the work but it is tough keeping a crew committed to one job therefore it takes us awhile to complete jobs. Some workers at larger utilities may not get to do some of the work we do because it is either contracted out or done by seperate departments. We don't have troublemen and every lineman responds to trouble calls through a rotating list. Can almost remember the first times i had to respond on my own after I topped out. One thing you could count on though was having someone with more experience to back you up if you needed a second man. I have spoken to some of the contractors we have had here who travelled their whole career, sounds like it could be interesting, like the others have said , if you are young and single.
Either way good luck and work safe!

Mark

hillbilly
06-07-2007, 06:48 AM
I started at a co-op here in the mtns,it was a great experience as far as trouble shooting and learning the various equipment. The only thing is the po po from the head knocker in the office tastes bad!I left for the road and have made more money,and learned there is more than one way to skin a cat,and dont regret my choice for one minute.Both sides have +/- no matter who you are.Whatever you decide-for God sake go union,you will live longer and wont ever have to explain to me how you got your ticket.See ya round