PDA

View Full Version : anyone know any private contractors in MA

dirtywater07
05-10-2007, 04:53 PM
I am going through the process of getting on the ibew route but would like some experience before I get in to the trade...I was just currently put on the 104 list and I have my cdl license..there is no guarantee of me getting on through the union side so keeping my options open...does anyone know who lives in MA what private contractors are looking for grunts or apprentices or even make me a list of private companies so I can show up on their doorstep and try to get a job any help I would appreciate it :) .

Pootnaigle
05-10-2007, 06:35 PM
To get on you will hafta go to the local union hall and sign the books for a helpers job or apply for an apprenticeship. Doesnt matter that your not yet a member. If you get on you will be soon enough

tolex42
05-11-2007, 11:15 AM
I am going through the process of getting on the ibew route but would like some experience before I get in to the trade...I was just currently put on the 104 list and I have my cdl license..there is no guarantee of me getting on through the union side so keeping my options open...does anyone know who lives in MA what private contractors are looking for grunts or apprentices or even make me a list of private companies so I can show up on their doorstep and try to get a job any help I would appreciate it :) .

I'm not sure what you mean by a "private contractor" but if you mean going to work for a nonunion contractor while waiting to be called by an IBEW contractor, I think that is a mistake. Obviously you want a job with high wages and good benefits. Don't undercut Local Union 104 and its members by working for a nonunion contractor in the interim, who undoubtedly pays lower wages and few benefits. Be true to your beliefs, wait for your turn and don't do something that you will regret later if you do become a member of Local Union 104.

topgroove
05-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Maybe I'm paranoid but here's a person with one post asking for a list of private contractors in Massachusetts the very day the states biggest utility is about to go on strike??? Hmmmmmmmm.:confused:

tolex42
05-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Maybe I'm paranoid but here's a person with one post asking for a list of private contractors in Massachusetts the very day the states biggest utility is about to go on strike??? Hmmmmmmmm.:confused:

Hmmmmm, you're pretty observent topgroove.

damn_encode
05-11-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by a "private contractor" but if you mean going to work for a nonunion contractor while waiting to be called by an IBEW contractor, I think that is a mistake. Obviously you want a job with high wages and good benefits. Don't undercut Local Union 104 and its members by working for a nonunion contractor in the interim, who undoubtedly pays lower wages and few benefits. Be true to your beliefs, wait for your turn and don't do something that you will regret later if you do become a member of Local Union 104.

I must agree with tolex, if you want to work union they support the union from the start. I know that you are eager to get started but they will put you to work soon as a ground man if you just sign the books and be ready to respond to the call.

I worked as a non union apprentice at the start of my career and switched over, but given the chance to do it over again I would work 100% union from start to finish. I think it says something about you when you do get in front of the interview board and you are able to say that you will and have only worked union. You may not understand now why this is such a critical decision but that understanding should come with time.

Just my two cents.

electric squirrel
05-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Did you finaly see the light Encode??????? E.S.:cool:

damn_encode
05-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Did you finaly see the light Encode??????? E.S.:cool:

E.S., I always knew that the IBEW was the best way to go, but like I stated before its a decision that is not just about me and what I want. It took a while for me to get my head straight about the sacrifices that are necessary to be a JATC apprentice. The decision has been made, my family is standing behind me and I am glad that I have the opportunity that I do.

I should have done it from the beginning, but because I have come from non-union contractors I have a very real understanding about how much better it is working union. Everything is better, the pay, real benefits & retirement, more diverse work experience, no begging for time off, the working conditions, proven experienced lineman, crew makeup: journeyman to apprentice ratios, real schooling for your apprenticeship. I could go on and on but these are just some differences off the top of my head.

Dirtywater, If these things are important to you then support the brotherhood and work only union. Don’t just take my word for it, go to the hall, get a copy of the bargaining agreement and read it, educate your self and make up your own mind.

electric squirrel
05-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Go forth and join the Union and ye shall be saved,say'ith the Squirrel......
I'am glad you came over to the right side of the fence,you'll learn more and live longer,,not to mention your wallet will be fatter.Keep in touch let me know where you end up.Around 40 days left. E.S.:cool:

dirtywater07
05-12-2007, 11:30 PM
I think I will wait anyways The pay I get from a private line crew won't match what I'm getting as an electrical apprentice which I am currently working as....yeah I think I will wait for the call..anyone got any good climbing gear for sale

KingRat
05-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Thats not true Tolex-

tolex42
05-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Thats not true Tolex-

I don't understand. What's not true?

topgroove
05-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Hey why don't you offer this guy a job King rat.

KingRat
05-21-2007, 08:28 PM
I don't understand. What's not true?

Maybe 20 years ago I might agree Tolex- I still believe Lineman are under paid, but would you like to compare? Go to www.jcrutility.com and apply, they are always looking for young guys that want to learn how to do linework-and if you can"t cut it you can always go Union:D

KingRat
05-21-2007, 08:44 PM
I think I will wait anyways The pay I get from a private line crew won't match what I'm getting as an electrical apprentice which I am currently working as....yeah I think I will wait for the call..anyone got any good climbing gear for sale
Call Northeast line, Grattin line, Mcdonough line, all good union outside construction contractors if you so choose- beat on their doors, if your any good, and they can tell, they will clear you thru.

tolex42
05-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Call Northeast line, Grattin line, Mcdonough line, all good union outside construction contractors if you so choose- beat on their doors, if your any good, and they can tell, they will clear you thru.

First you have mistaken me for a young lineman looking for a job. When in fact I'm an older lineman giveing Dirtywater some good advice.

My advice to the young man is go union right from the start and stay union. I've seen a lot of nonunion linemen come over to the union side. Nine out of ten of them, in a few years, will tell you that they should have done it years earlier. The pay is better, the health insurance and the pensions are much, much better and in most cases they find they there are being treated much more fairly then they were on the nonunion side.

I have hardly ever seen a lineman that started out on the union side go over to the nonunion side because they thought the grass might be greener there. The only union linemen I ever saw go over to the other side were those who wore out their welcome here. You know the type of lineman I mean. Those who can't make it to work several days a week, or those with drinking problems, those with poor work ethics and those who are not welcome back to their previous employers. You know the type I mean. You probably have a lot of them with your company right now.

KingRat
05-21-2007, 09:35 PM
First you have mistaken me for a young lineman looking for a job. When in fact I'm an older lineman giveing Dirtywater some good advice.

My advice to the young man is go union right from the start and stay union. I've seen a lot of nonunion linemen come over to the union side. Nine out of ten of them, in a few years, will tell you that they should have done it years earlier. The pay is better, the health insurance and the pensions are much, much better and in most cases they find they there are being treated much more fairly then they were on the nonunion side.

I have hardly ever seen a lineman that started out on the union side go over to the nonunion side because they thought the grass might be greener there. The only union linemen I ever saw go over to the other side were those who wore out their welcome here. You know the type of lineman I mean. Those who can't make it to work several days a week, or those with drinking problems, those with poor work ethics and those who are not welcome back to their previous employers. You know the type I mean. You probably have a lot of them with your company right now.Did not mistake you for a young lineman- just stated the company was looking for young guys to train - as you well know they are the best candidates, worked union many years no regrets, currently non-union by choice not because of my bad habits.