PDA

View Full Version : util company hire?

alfrt
05-14-2007, 11:00 AM
What's the concensus about hiring into a utility company in the meter or some other department and then transitioning into the line dept as an apprentice via bidding a job through the company's internal job board? Do many utility companies still train apprentices or do they leave that to the contractors and only hire on journeyman? If this is possible, would it then be improper, once hired, to immediately try for the lineman apprentice position?

snakeman
05-14-2007, 01:13 PM
i hired with a local utility- i took a call center position just to wait for the training. i got in, started training and got hurt due to an older injury i had. the good thing is i still got to keep my old job- ive got nine months to get my leg healed up and try again. ill put up with customer's BS for a few more months so i can get out on the poles again- i think its a pretty good idea- worse case scenario is you still have a good steady job with a utility company and usually plenty of options to pursue if line training doesnt pan out for you. call their HR dept to see if they do training. they should be able to get all the info for you or get you in contact with the right people. GOOD LUCK!

NJlineman55
05-19-2007, 10:33 AM
To each his own but I started with a utility company as a meter reader and waited for an opening in the line dept. Back then though there werent as many position open as there are today so many guys now are coming in directly from the street. It really depends on the company you are applying for but I would get my foot in the door first and then you might be able to pick and choose a location that works better for you. Good luck.

KingRat
05-21-2007, 09:42 PM
What's the concensus about hiring into a utility company in the meter or some other department and then transitioning into the line dept as an apprentice via bidding a job through the company's internal job board? Do many utility companies still train apprentices or do they leave that to the contractors and only hire on journeyman? If this is possible, would it then be improper, once hired, to immediately try for the lineman apprentice position?

In the Northeast, Utility companies hire from the contractors-