PDA

View Full Version : difference between albat lineman and substation program

oneeyekenny
05-25-2007, 02:25 AM
I'm currently in the process of applying for albat apprenticeship. When I called the local hall to ask about openings. I was told they were only taking apprentices for subs.The scale is the same, so could anybody tell me what the difference would be. Other than equipment and such, am I limiting options by choosing one or the other or is it just 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. Thanks for the input.

wudwoker51
06-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Substation work involves virtually no hot work and workload can be sporadic. Currently the work outlook is good with the utilities having to upgrade equipment due to neglect and load growth. Also alot of wind generation work going on with more in the planning stages. It's quite different from linework all depends on what you want to do I guess but I certainly would not pass up the opportunity if given a chance.

oneeyekenny
06-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the reply wudworker51. I used to work as a journeyman inside wireman so I am used to sporadic work and travel. My biggest concern is how spordiac? Can I upgrade to lineman somewhere along the way? I worked with a substation crew for a month when I was an inside apprentice and really enjoyed the work and the crew, so I know I'll enjoy the job, i'd just like to work more than 4 months out of the year.

wudwoker51
06-08-2007, 04:07 PM
From what I am hearing regarding substation work at least in the midwest is that the work picture should be good for years to come and being a J.W. you would probably enjoy substation work more than linework anyway. As far as upgrading to a lineman, if you are given the opportunity and you are willing to go through the necessary training as an apprentice I'm sure it could be done.

loodvig
06-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Where I worked you never saw a substation worker cold, wet, tired or hungry! And most of them averaged over a 100k a year. If I had to do it all over again............................................. .....................

oneeyekenny
06-21-2007, 12:43 AM
I've applied to ALBAT and recieved confirmation, now i'm on the waiting list for an interview. You've made sub work sound good for me so i'm looking forward to the interview sometime in the next 3 months.