PDA

View Full Version : so cal groundman

newbie22
05-28-2007, 10:51 PM
To get on as a groundman with Local 47, what are the requirements? I'm on a waiting list for a linemans school and was told it would be a good idea to get my class A. Is one year of high school algebra enough to fulfill the requirements. Thanx, for any info.

electric squirrel
05-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Go talk to Carl Stewart ,ignore mack,the tall dumb guy with an attitude.Tell Carl you want to get on the books.Pretty much all you need to get a job is stand upright and blink every now and then,,,,,,,You will start on book 4 which is bottom of the barrel,you might mention to him(some guy on the street told you)that asplundh was looking for grunts to go to asbestoes training and you would be willing to do that too.PM a guy on this site named Big Hub he can fill you in......E.S.:cool: 45days

Line Cowboy
06-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Are you tryin for an apprenticeship. are you willin to travel? is your heart set on union? what part of Cali are you in

LostArt
06-24-2007, 12:02 PM
...but, while reading this it looked like Newbie was asking questions for himself to answer. :D Okaaaaay! But, I just noticed that the OP (original poster) has a "22" at the end of his! But, you newbie boys had me goin' there for a bit. :D

Line Cowboy
06-24-2007, 12:23 PM
WellI guess I should change my handle....since I aint really a newbie no more............how would i get that done Mrs. LA

LostArt
06-24-2007, 09:00 PM
WellI guess I should change my handle....since I aint really a newbie no more............how would i get that done Mrs. LA

Well, only an Administrator can do that New. Let me see what I can do and I'll PM ya. You do have your PM turned on, right? :D

PM=Private Message

(that's just incase you didn't know---not being a wise@ss. Although I can be that at times, but not in this instance! :D )

newbie22
06-24-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm located in Bakersfield, CA. As for union or non-union, I don't think it would matter, I just want to get into the trade. I'm willing to travel, but only in California. I'm married with kids so, I don't really want to leave the state. I took a helpers test with LADWP but dont know the results yet. Right now, I have a job that is flexible enough to allow me to drive to LA to attend a linemans school and what ever else I need to prepare my self to get started. I spoke briefly with a lineman from that was union and he seemed pretty happy with the way his apprenticeship went. That's primarily why I was wondering about the local 47.

LostArt
06-25-2007, 06:05 AM
I'm located in Bakersfield, CA. As for union or non-union, I don't think it would matter, I just want to get into the trade. I'm willing to travel, but only in California. I'm married with kids so, I don't really want to leave the state. I took a helpers test with LADWP but dont know the results yet. Right now, I have a job that is flexible enough to allow me to drive to LA to attend a linemans school and what ever else I need to prepare my self to get started. I spoke briefly with a lineman from that was union and he seemed pretty happy with the way his apprenticeship went. That's primarily why I was wondering about the local 47.

A couple of guys here are from over there 22. I've PM'd one of them for ya. Hopefully you have your PM thingy turned on. Many use that route to talk to those of you with questions sometimes.

Good luck!

Line Cowboy
06-25-2007, 04:28 PM
thanks LA i appreciate it.......hey newbie 22 I dont know anyone in Cali but i will do some checkin for you if you get in the app. program you will have to go where they tell ya till you top out.....somethin to think about

LostArt
06-25-2007, 07:24 PM
thanks LA i appreciate it.......

You are welcome. Now answer your PM's. :D

west coast hand
06-28-2007, 11:41 PM
apply at the apprenticship there always taking guys, oh and by the way don't talk to carl stewert that guys a piece of shit and a ****in lier, mack my have a little bit of an additude but he won't lie to your face he will be straight up with you. anyway call the hall and get the apprenticships phone number if you don't want to leave cali thats your best option

newbie22
06-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanx for info, I emailed Karl Stewart and did not get a response.

electric squirrel
06-29-2007, 07:33 PM
West Coast you MUST be 1245 guy!!!! carl and mack are both a big joke! Anyway Newbie if you want to get into the program forget the hall all those two ball lickers can do is get you out as a grunt,but right now you gotta know someone or be the king of all grunts,work is just so so and grunts are low on the tottem pole. Call Armando Mendez at 951 685-3896,he is the director for the apprenticeship program in CA.He's gonna tell you to come get an application,fill it out and return it ASAP! If you dont have the required algebra you can get a course online ,he can fill you in.Also go get a class A license ASAP too, that will help when you get put thru the selection process.

Then if they committe likes your application,you will get called for a sit down interview in front of them.They ask you why you want to be in the trade,if your willing to travel,if you have any experience( thats where being a grunt comes in )answer what they want to hear and next thing you know is they want you to come to a 2 week long climbing class,and if you can cut the mustard, they take you to the hall sign you up as an apprentice lineman and send you out to work.

3 1/2 long years ,a billon miles driven,countless hours worked and nights without sleep,a zillon guys tell'n you "YOU ARE LOWER THAN WHALE SHIT" a gazillion splinters, a few cut outs on the wood,a shit load of sweat in your eyes ,a few pounds of sawdust in your ass crack, a whole lotta prayin' that your gaffs stay in the pole, a shit load of study'n (IF YOUR SMART) a bunch of "YES SIR's" and a " WHOLE LOT OF PAYIN' ATTENTION " so you dont get you or someone else killed,they call you back and say you can come down and take your Journeyman's test,,,,,
Oh yeah , they pay you to do all this,,,,,,
Made 90 thousand my first year, seen more than 100 every year since!
Can it get any better than that?? E.S.:cool: 22 days

newbie22
07-02-2007, 12:05 AM
I appreciate the info guys, I'm looking forward to lineman school. I really feel this job is for me. I worked in trade work before, bustin my behind and learnin a trade. Left the trade for more a stable job with the Sheriff's dept. as a detention deputy. Tired of workin with lazy government workers who dont know how to appreciate a good job and want to get back into the workin mans world. Thanx again for the input guys.