PDA

View Full Version : advice

browny
06-06-2007, 06:09 PM
I have recently accepted an apprenticeship with my local company here in the UK as a linesman.

I was wondering could any of you give me some advice on what to expect in my training etc??

I have read about the job before my assessment and interview days, i just want some honest advice from people who do the job now for a living.

Thanks

Browny

Alan Mac
06-07-2007, 03:12 AM
Where abouts in the UK? Which company?

Mac

hillbilly
06-07-2007, 06:22 AM
I think you made a great choice!Now your on your way to an exciting and well paying career.The first thing I think you might want to work on however,is your goal......its Lineman!Not linesman.We have worked very very very hard for that most prized title.In the U.S. you would get your balls crushed for such a careless little mistake.The name of the game young tiger is attention to detail,and never forget that.We really need you young guy's to replace us.Lack of attention=one dead tiger.O ya good luck,and be safe,see ya at the pole.

Squizzy
06-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Watch and learn,ask questions and trust no-one its not off till you have proven its off...

Alan Mac
06-07-2007, 09:19 AM
It wasn't a slip Hillbilly, we are really called linesmen over here. Causes all sorts of trouble when filling forms. Linesmen run up and down the side of a football (soccer) pitch. About the nearest I can get with the internet drop-down boxes is "electrical engineer". Hell, I'm no engineer - I'm a damn lineman!

Mac

browny
06-07-2007, 01:46 PM
I will be working for Scottish Power in the Merseyside area.

Scottish Power actually calls us Linespersons, due to females working in the job.

I can't wait to start my apprenticeship!!!

Matt

Alan Mac
06-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Would that be the old MANWEB area then? My mate used to work for them out of Merseyside. May be one or two names he knows still there.

Mac

22900013A
06-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi Browny, nice to have another brit on here. I am at more or less the same stage as you so can't offer any advice. I expect you will start off learning how to rig up your harnesses and climbing gear, how to climb poles safely, first aid, poletop rescue...thats what SSE have told me anyway.
Anyway, keep in touch and let us know how you get on!

browny
06-07-2007, 04:57 PM
it is the old MANWEB area. I will be based in Prenton in my 2 years and beyond.

I start the 13th August, which i thought was a strange date start as other people that i know started ther apprenticeships in september.

hillbilly
06-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Let me start by saying that I humbly apologize to the young hopeful,I cant believe that you fellas play soccer and work on the line too.Thats incredibly tough to imagine.Ha Ha Ha.
Wow what a difference,regardless young man,this is as serious as any career you could tackle.I was a paratrooper with our Army for sometime before I became a Lineman,so I know what serious is.God bless your endeavours. ;)

Alan Mac
06-08-2007, 02:49 AM
Hi Browny, my mate was based out of Prenton for a while. He's a native of Anglesey, his first language is Welsh.

I started with the SEB on the 11th August but that was 21 years this year.

Mac

Alan Mac
06-08-2007, 02:50 AM
No need Hillbilly, you guys got a lot of different terms and words for things over there. We got friends living in Chicago, and we always comment on the "common language".

Mac

browny
06-12-2007, 06:02 PM
got my date through for my medical!!!

Matt

22900013A
08-21-2007, 02:41 PM
How are you getting on mate?