PDA

View Full Version : Difference between line work and substation

BretStep
06-11-2007, 10:50 PM
I've been offered my choice of programs with a company that will put me through tech school for free. They have a lineman and substation program. Unfortunately I am having a hard time trying to figure out some specifics. About how much time does each job spend in the truck vs actually working on equipment and which job has the great variety of tasks to do. Is it safe to assume that line work is basically the same every day? How many people get tired of it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Koga
06-12-2007, 11:05 AM
If you like long hours, hard work, adverse conditions, and hardly any "atta boys" then line work .If not , boreing sub station is what you want. But I personally wouldn't have traded any of it. See the other post asking just about the same thing .

Koga

scammy
06-12-2007, 02:23 PM
depends ,,if you are man ,,or devo,,,was a paratrooper ,,7th sfga,,commercial fisherman ,,,linework is not boring ,,its a challange ,everyday,I find much satifaction in my work ,,,and the brotherhood is unreal,,,scammy

dbrown20
06-15-2007, 05:43 PM
are very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer.

Know how to tell if a man is a sub station hand? If water beads up on him when it rains.

LostArt
06-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Jeeze. Okay, do we have any substation workers that would like to come forward and say something????? :confused: :D

Okay, but really! It's like I tell the Boss.............some of you guys are lineman snobs! The BOSS included!!!

PA BEN
06-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Difference between line work and substation; I’ve been doing line work for 23 years. No one does it better then a Lineman. That being said, my body is breaking down form the work. Being a sub tech isn’t as hard on the body as line work; in the long run it might be a good job. If it wasn’t for substation techs we wouldn’t have the power lines to work with. It probably would make a good carrier. It’s a lot more technical then line work.:rolleyes:

Squizzy
06-16-2007, 04:06 AM
I guess I had better jump in, I have done 2 apprenticeships one in substations and one as a lineman.(both 4 years) The main difference I found is that you don't seem to do as much heavy work in substations, sure you get jobs installing switch gear running dirty great transformer cables, standing steelwork and a bit of digging but its not the heavy day to day of dressing and standing poles (ok ok framing and setting) climbing, working overhead, changing cross arms, leaning back drilling etc etc. The upside of substations is you can get nice easy panel wiring sitting in the air conditioned relay room and not getting covered in dirt and grease. Had a couple of real filthy jobs though with some oil filled switch gear that had exploded and burnt then had to be removed that was nasty. Substations over here is no live work and there are specific switching operators as thats all they do is switch and barrier off work zones. I would have to say and I am Qualified to say it that there is a higher degree of technical knowledge required in substation work than in line work. Bearing in mind thats if the two trades are similarly structured here as in the US ;) I do prefer working outdoors and am currently primarily employed as a lineman so I will see what happens in the future still got over 30 years till retirement:eek: ......

LostArt
06-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Bret, can you give your location or atleast the country or state in which you live?

danbutter
06-18-2007, 09:57 PM
As was said earlier...Subs will be easier on you in the long run and is more technical.
It is working with all the relays and instruments that keep the system running right.

I have been searching for a subs apprenticeship for 3 years now...ever since I finished my degree in Electric Power Tech.... and can't find any.

Where is this that you have the opportunity to do this?

BigClive
06-19-2007, 06:22 AM
I take it the water beading on substation hands comment is a reference to the airborne oil associated with large hot transformers? If it is then that's not really so good to hear since any airborne mineral oil is a risk to skin and lungs. We used to use oil hazers in the entertainment industry that put a fine haze of mineral oil into the air to enhance the lighting, but they are not used so much now due to health concerns.

As for Squizzy being able to turn his hand to both sides. Being a tall guy at about 6'4" there's a much greater risk of his back giving problems than a short stocky guy, so maybe a retirement into substation work will be inevitable.

Squizzy
06-22-2007, 08:08 AM
I haven't had any back trouble thankfully I do spend a bit of time stretching my back most mornings as its something I am wary of. I do like working substations but the Utility boss here is errrr well a little bit of a I will leave it alone for now. BTW Clive I believe its 6'5"..... Might have to change your name to NotSoBigClive:D

BigClive
06-22-2007, 09:24 AM
BTW Clive I believe its 6'5"..... Might have to change your name to NotSoBigClive:D

When I say BigClive I'm not actually talking about my height. You know what they say about men with big feet...... :rolleyes:

Squizzy
06-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Dude I must say you have the biggest feet I have ever seen on a man and if that saying is true you had better get your kilt lowered a few more inches:eek: