PDA

View Full Version : southeast lineman training center

flhdawg
06-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Hello all, has anyone out there attended or know someone who has attended the sltc? i would like to get a feel for how the training and the school is and or any other school that may be worth while. Also has anyone gone through the nstar program with bhcc, what do you think of that.

thanks for the info

west coast hand
06-28-2007, 11:24 PM
my little brother went there said it was alright he said you have no problem getting a job after the schools over, go it gets your foot in the door???

flhdawg
06-29-2007, 12:27 PM
thanks for the info west coast...were you talking about sltc? or the nstar program

Doggboi
06-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Hey FLhdawg.. I went to SLTC .. posted a lil something about it .. http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/showthread.php?t=2299

If you have any questions toss me a PM here or email me at doggboi@hotmail.com

IronLine
07-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey bud I'm attending SLTC right now. Its a great school with some awesome instructors. One or two of 'em beat the hell out of you until you learn the right way to get the job done but its worth it. Excellent job placement after graduation and lots of employment contacts all over the US. I would recommend it.

flhdawg
07-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey bud I'm attending SLTC right now. Its a great school with some awesome instructors. One or two of 'em beat the hell out of you until you learn the right way to get the job done but its worth it. Excellent job placement after graduation and lots of employment contacts all over the US. I would recommend it.

Hey ironline thanks for the response I am trying to get some info on it for my son, it's good the instructors are a bit hard..there is nothing wrong with that just as long as they are fair and give you a chance to prove yourself that is all you can ask for. Are you staying at the housing they have nearby? If so how's that or are you doing something else for housing?

thanks for the info

IronLine
07-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Yeah FLH as much as it sucks sometimes they are VERY fair. We have at this time 5 different instructors and each have their own teaching style. With all of them though if you screw up, mouth off, or lay up on them they will let you enjoy the wonderful world of "up-downs". We have 5 pole circles all consisting of 35' poles, only one circle of which are treated, the others are raw. My instructor has a great idea though that we are a team and if one screws up we all get to pay. A couple fellers forgot to carry their hand tools, and someone complained about the climbs so all 14 of us got to do 10 up-downs back to back in 99 degree heat with about 90% humidity. Excellent climbing instructors though, they all have loads of experience. I am staying at the Bullpen which is about 6 minutes away from school right outside the Trenton city limits, good place if your son likes to have a good time, its pretty much the meeting place for any socializing or study sessions. Good landlord, stays out of everyones business doesn't mind a little mess. There are a couple other houses that are "nicer" but they also expect a greater degree of upkeep. I hope this has helped bud, I came all the way down from WA state based on this schools reputation and it hasn't let me down yet.

flhdawg
07-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Hey Iron, thanks for the insight, all good info,we sent off the paper work today hopefully he will make the Sept. class the school sounds great and i am sure he will get a lot out of it.

thanks again

Doggboi
07-06-2007, 11:22 PM
Almost sounds like you have T.K as an instructor Iron

IronLine
07-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Haha! Yes, T.K. is the man. He is harsh as shit sometimes but at heart hes a damn good guy. I've learned more from him than the rest of the guys have from any of their instructors. He can be a dick, but you learn and thats what matters.

Doggboi
07-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Yeah , he was my instructor as well

Tell him , he needs to answer 'Nextel's emails

Graduation 4/07 -
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/doggboi/100_1708.jpg

IronLine
07-10-2007, 09:30 PM
No problem man, you got Nextel huh? Hell I drive a Dodge truck which to these boys down here ain't no better than a brokeback goat they say. Can ya guess what I got for a name? Brokeback was bad enough, of course T.K. turned it into "FagBack". Good 'ol Tom.

IronLine
07-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey Doggboi, I put you down as the guy who referred me here so you should be getting a nice fat $100 check....I want my cut

markwho
08-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Hi flhdawg, How have you made out signing up your son? If you can let me know. My son is due to start Sept.4th. We had visited the school last year while taking a vacation, it seems really nice. He will be staying at the "substation", a duplex north of town. How old is your son? Mine is 18. Looking foward to hearing from you.

Mark

flhdawg
08-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Hi Mark, my son is also 18 and yes he did get in the Sept. class. We have not heard yet where he will be living. Trying to get together all the things he needs for the stay, but he is looking forward to attending the class, and I am sure he will be happy to have someone around his age there. I think I read on another post you are from Jersey?..we live in Mass.

talk to u later...

Doggboi
08-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey Doggboi, I put you down as the guy who referred me here so you should be getting a nice fat $100 check....I want my cut

Haha.. Excellent Iron! if/when it finds me I will let you know.. with any luck I will be coming through there in the next few weeks on my way to South Carolina.

Good Luck to both of your sons Mark and Flh , I am sure they both will do great , and have many memories , stories and new friends to share with you each time they call/write home. Just make sure they take thier 'raincoats' if you know what I mean.

flhdawg
08-08-2007, 07:29 PM
hey thanks dog, and i do know what you mean I just picked up a set of rain gear for him today as a matter of fact..lol..hope you are doing good and thanks for the previous info

butterbean
08-08-2007, 07:51 PM
hey ironline,

so, do you think sw is better than nw? how about VOLTA?

i am trying to decide the best route and not really sure which way to go.

thanks and congrats!

bean

Doggboi
08-08-2007, 07:53 PM
I work with a guy from NW now.. the differences are subtle.. they learn to belt climb, and they come away with a CDL from NW.. where as SE is more free climb, and they give you time to get your cdl , and a guy comes in to go over all the content of the test. Not familiar with Volta

butterbean
08-08-2007, 08:57 PM
thanks doggboi.

IronLine
08-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Well Butter lets see, like Dogg said, there are differences, and from the various recruiters and lineman from different companies that have come in, guys (and gals) from SLTC end up coming out way better climbers and seem to have a better grasp of linework. Unless they were just blowing smoke up our asses which is possible. As for VOLTA, from what I know of it, its a pretty new school, hasn't been around for more than a few years, BUT its only a 10 week program as opposed to 16, it costs only about $3000 as opposed to $6000+, AND its pretty much run by the NW Line JATC. I'm not familiar with their training curriculum, but I do believe you would have a much better chance of jumping in the JATC program if you come out! Good luck!
And Dogg, you better, I could really use the $50 LOL

flhdawg
08-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey, Iron
almost graduation time for you huh......hot down there?

IronLine
08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Well FLH I'll tell ya, I've lived in Texas where it was about 105 degrees, and thats hot. Down here its about 95 degrees, but with the FRIGGIN humidity the heat index brings it up to around 108-110. Just workin' out of a bucket, simulating live line work with full rubbers (sleeves and gloves) on, I almost lost it. Was up there for about an hour and a half, every time I raised my arms looked like someone had a faucet on in my gloves, sweat just pouring out. Almost puked all over my instructor, it was awesome. You get used to it, and believe me, I could stand to sweat off a few 10-15 lbs lol. Tell your boy he is going to be part of the biggest class they've ever had down here, they are going to have 108 students down here, they just hired two new instructors and added a pole circle. On average they lose around 10% of the kids that come through. Just make sure to tell him that it gets hard, but to just keep driving on, don't give up. As long as you bust your ass, keep trying, and don't surrender you're going to make it. Good luck kid!
16th I get to go Home...Woohoo...

butterbean
08-10-2007, 06:13 PM
108! damn! how big was your class ironline?

i guess that is something volta has going for it. it's limited to 25.

i received info from them and here is a short run down of their curriculum:

safety
1st aid/cpr
flagging
osha 10
ppe
pp grounding
shock, arc, blast
rescue training

equipment
digger/derrick
bucket truck
chipper
boom truck
cdl

climbing
fitting tools
poles, steel tower, trees

general knowledge
blue prints
plan and profile
circuit map
nameplates
math
basic electricity
-generation
-ac/dc
-wye/delta
-transformation
-voltages-distribution/transmission
hardware
basic rigging
steel tower assembly and erection
wood pole characteristics

apprenticeships
trades
process
search and interview
indenture
standards
OTJ training
wage progression
union vs non-union
etc.....

bean

Doggboi
09-20-2007, 08:22 PM
So Iron , got a call today from SLTC, I guess they are gonna send me a check :)

I got a chance to pop in on the 6th and got to the school for the first day of climbing , the step up... lol There was one Barrel Climber in TK's circle.

Have you landed a job yet ?

I moved back east from Nebraska to SC to work for SCANA. ( SC E&G )

So far, good company to work for , and a great bunch of guys to work with.

Hope your sons are liking the class FLHDawg and Markwho. If I would have thought about it , I would have gotten their names before I stopped by to say Hello.

IronLine
09-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Right on buddy! SC huh? You do more hookin' or hydraulic work? LOL Nothin' them boys at SLTC hated more than a "hyrdaulic lineman". TK was always one of the first to jump in the damn bucket though. I start with Haverfield on Monday, so we will see how that goes. Pretty much nothin' I learned at SLTC outside of the basic electrical theory and the electrical systems stuff is gonna apply but hell, I'd rather have the chopper drop me off at the top of a 100' foot pole then climb my ass up it!! Congrats on the job man, why leave Nebraska? Didn't want to work for Mid-Plains? lol let me know when I get my cut of that check!;) Take care and be safe!

Doggboi
09-21-2007, 06:48 AM
I did a lot of hooking out in Nebraska, even though I was assigned a bucket ... but now that I am here in SC , they wont let me touch my hooks until I go through their certification class, and definately no bucket work for 2 years I am told.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for Haverfield. That was very tempting to me, hope it works out for you and looking forward to Pictures and stories.

If you ever find yourself in this area, you can collect your half of the check in beer :cool:

IronLine
09-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Bastard. LOL. So no climby climby and no bucket? What the hell are you? They making you ground huh? That sucks buddy, but hell, gotta pay those dues and if the companies worth it..where at in SC are ya? I'm vaguely familiar with it. If I'm within' 3 g-damn states I'm going to collect that share damnit, I worked hard to get you that. Had to put down your name, try to explain to Larry who you were, it was a big clusterfck believe me. lol. We'll see how it goes at Haverfield, I'm worried I'm gonna lose some skills but hell, can always be relearned. Was never meant to do distribution anyways, txmssion (big, dumb, heavy, high) always more my style...

flhdawg
09-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Hey dogboi, I hope that wasn't my kid who was trying to climb outta that barrel..lmao and to let you and Ironline know my son was lucky enuff to get T.K. as his instructor. He is doing good so far and enjoying it and by the sounds of it the instructor will have him ready to go. you two be safe and good luck

IronLine
09-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Good stuff FLH, surprise surprise I didn't get my deposit back at the BullPen..it wasn't even all THAT messy. I mean it was by no means clean, but APPPPAARRREENNTTLLLLY...It was in the worst condition ever seen by the school in their whole history...it took all our deposit and more to get it and the yard cleaned up..uhm..guess this class got read the friggin' riot act about keeping clean house, and that it will affect their evaluation and they may get evicted. So I'm glad to see we made a good impact on the schools policies and procedures :D Its not our fault there was a huge overgrown valley that was just asking to be made into our new bottle and can recycling center, of course I guess once all the shurbbery died off it might be a bit of an eyesore. I figure an 18pack apiece a day, 6 drinkers, 4 months....hmmm...I need my calculator :eek:

markwho
09-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi Guys, My son is doing o.k.. He injured his elbow after cutting out this past week. I told him to ice it and rest it this weekend, hopefully he will be good for Monday. He qualified at 30' with his elbow and arm hurting on Thursday. He seems to be enjoying himself along with the other fellows. I think he has Jay as an instructor. He has sent me a couple of pics and has aquired the nickname Meatball! Good luck with the new jobs.

Mark

Doggboi
09-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Iron can probly confirm , but when I was there Jay or Jason 'Cornbread' got there mid session for us , and was to get his first circle in Irons class. good guy , a lil quiet, but seemed to have his head screwed on tight. ( dances funny though )

Sorry to hear about your sons elbow.. those can be rough. But its a good thing he's going to stick it out. He wont be disappointed.

IronLine
09-22-2007, 12:25 AM
Mark- I will tell ya what, I suffered quite a few elbow injuries, namely from poor climbing method I will be the first to admit it. I was lucky enough to have some fellows video tape me climbing and I could see how my arms were above my shoulders "pulling" myself up and screwing my elbows real bad. Ice is good, and if they are still wearing their "gauntlets" or "arm condoms" tell him to shove ice down his long sleeve shirt and the arm condom will keep the ice in the right place. Also, icy-hot or flex-r-all helps a lot, my entire house smelled like a damn nursing home for the first 5 weeks. Jay is an awesome instructor, it took him a while to get into his groove since my class was his first one actually teaching, but he knows his stuff, he communicates very well, and is friendly as all hell. He will definitely stick it to the guys that need it, if you bitch and moan he will get in your face and let you know how it is in the real world. Tell Meatball good luck and have him give me a call if he needs any help with anything. PM me and I will get ya my cell #